Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 402023 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #825 on: July 06, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
MC Hammer!?

he kickin' it REALLY old-school, y'alls!
Hammer did Hardly Strictly last year.  And like last year, he'll be doing the Friday morning kid-centric show:

Preacher and Oakland rapper MC Hammer asked kids to join him
on stage as he dances and sings.  2008.  (Michael Macor / The Chronicle)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 06, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »
more Hardly Strictly Bluegrass acts have been announced.  Fri Sat & Sun Oct 2, 3 & 4. 

The list so far:
... Steve Martin with the Steep Canyon Rangers ...

Steve better do a bluegrass version of King Tut, who will still have some relics up the road at the de Young Museum.  :)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 06, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
big week for free music:

Thursday went to Marin County Fair, saw a bit of Martha Davis and the Motels.  Saw her play Suddenly Last Summer, which is a great song.  She still sounds great, although "She looks like someone whose cart you'd bump into at Ross," as some wag said .. and some wag then repeated here!  :)  Berlin was also there.  Heard them play Sex (I'm A...)... it was silly. 

Fillmore Jazz Fest yesterday, heard Kim Nalley for about a half hour. She's really good, great three peice band, too:  http://www.kimnalley.com/

and I won tix to two shows this week: Old 97's @ Fillmore Thursday, Mighty Mighty Bosstones @ Fillmore Friday. woohoo!

~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 06, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »
big week for free music:

Thursday went to Marin County Fair, saw a bit of Martha Davis and the Motels.  Saw her play Suddenly Last Summer, which is a great song.  She still sounds great, although "She looks like someone whose cart you'd bump into at Ross," as some wag said .. and some wag then repeated here!  :)  Berlin was also there.  Heard them play Sex (I'm A...)... it was silly. 

Fillmore Jazz Fest yesterday, heard Kim Nalley for about a half hour. She's really good, great three peice band, too:  http://www.kimnalley.com/

and I won tix to two shows this week: Old 97's @ Fillmore Thursday, Mighty Mighty Bosstones @ Fillmore Friday. woohoo!

Nice haul. And winning two shows in a week is doing pretty well. I used to be something of a radio giveaway hustler when I lived in Sacramento, but moving to SF cut down on my take a good bit--a bigger pool of listeners, harder to get through. I used to win about a show a month in Sac, but in SF I think I won only about three or four the whole time I was there. 

And when I read your quip about Martha Davis, I thought it said "someone whose cart you'd bump into in Ross." It is Marin, after all. (Btw, it was a better line your way.)

Anyway, have fun. The Old 97s will rock your world, if you haven't seen them before--and maybe even if you have.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 09, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
so, Rancid are at Oracle arena tonite, playing second-fiddle to a band I'm unfamilar with called Rise Against.

http://events.sfgate.com/oakland-ca/events/show/86484550-rise-against-with-rancid-and-the-riverboat-gamblers

Er, why would you name your band Rise Against? Hoping people will confuse you with Rage Against the Machine?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 09, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Er, why would you name your band Rise Against? Hoping people will confuse you with Rage Against the Machine?

They must be willfully obscure.  Are they Canadian?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 10, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
TANC, since AL played them yesterday: Cracker are at the Independent in SF tonite.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:20 PM »

American, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_Against
I hear them on 104.9, 105.3
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 12, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »

American, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_Against
I hear them on 104.9, 105.3

I knew that, I was just teasing Mike with a Rush reference.  I also hear them on those two stations...they haven't struck me as particularly good or bad, but when they came through town a while back, they were promoted rather breathlessly on both stations, so I assume they are a big deal right now.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 12, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
Meant to mention, esp for Geoff's benefit, that Lydia Pense & Cold Blood are doing a 40th anniv tour this summer. saw a commercial for them at someplace local, but I'm spacing on exactly where.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #835 on: July 12, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »
Meant to mention, esp for Geoff's benefit, that Lydia Pense & Cold Blood are doing a 40th anniv tour this summer. saw a commercial for them at someplace local, but I'm spacing on exactly where.
for me, it ain't the real Cold Blood unless the original bass player, Rod Ellicott, is involved!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: July 12, 2009, 04:57:44 PM »

....saw a commercial for them at someplace local, but....

I think Someplace Local would be agreat name for a bar!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23:53 PM »

There used to be a dive bar on Geary b/w Fillmore and Webster called "Someplace Else."
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:45 PM »

There used to be a dive bar on Geary b/w Fillmore and Webster called "Someplace Else."

Next to the former doughnut shop on the corner of Fillmore, right? Used to drink there after working Fillmore shows once in awhile.

There's a dive by that name just outside Newberg, which is the closest town of any size to Dundee (where I am). It's just outside the city limits, as Newberg was a dry town until relatively recently (not sure when, but some time in the latter third of the 20th century, I'm pretty sure), thanks to its Quaker roots.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 13, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
Pretty good offer for Mtn Winery shows from 103.7 The Band

http://www.1037theband.com/pages/concerts.html

up to 50% off on 4-packs & today only (7/13), no service charge!

--Carlos Santana, 2010