Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 402318 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #780 on: May 05, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »

Did he always look like Ron Wood? Or is that just something that happens to Brit rockers after a certain age?
Note: Percy in the audience.

I think it's mainly the hair. They've had nearly identical hairstyles for years. See also: Ian McLagan.

ETA: And here's more Tai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA&feature=related

Yeah, found that one among the Related Videos with the first one. Considering her age (23 now, 21 when those were shot) and that she only started playing bass six years ago, she's pretty remarkable. Also kinda hot.

By no coincidence, I went out and bought a copy of Wired on CD this afternoon. My vinyl copy is thrashed and I had to hear Beck's original version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat again.

Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
In case any of you are interested in experimental electronic music and its makers:

The 10th annual How Weird Street Faire
Sunday May 10, 2009
Noon - 7pm
Howard & 2nd Streets
San Francisco, Earth

Centered at:
37°47’12.4" N
122°23’53.7" W

Ten stages. Ten blocks. And a MAGIC STICKER!
All ages welcome.

Visit the website for much more info... http://www.HowWeird.org

The How Weird Street Faire is an experiment in creating peace, bringing together a wide range of eclectic styles and communities.

The How Weird Street Faire showcases many different types of electronic music. The music stages are produced by local collectives and music organizations working together for peace. This year will feature stages by the Consortium of Collective Consciousness, Symbiosis, Kontrol, Sunset, Neuroweapon, Muti Music, Brass Tax, Temple, Opel, Tantra, Groove Garden, Mystic Beat Lounge, Nonstop Bhangra, Le Harem Hookah Lounge, and Earthdance. Art and decor by Anon Salon.

In 2009, there will be ten blocks of art and celebration. There will be performances and colorful costumes, unique and creative vendors from around the world, food and drinks, and much more!

Come prepared, and bring warm clothes for the downtown shade and wind!

Requested donation of $10 (or $5 in costume) gets you a Magic Sticker.

At night, the faire moves indoors to venues at the new location and nearby...

How Weird @ Night is from 7pm to 2am
$10 for all three venues at the faire site, or $2 off with Magic Sticker.
21 and over with ID, get passes at any door.

HOW WEIRD @ TEMPLE
Produced by How Weird Street Faire and Temple Nightclub
(Electro, Breaks, Glitch, Dubstep)
Temple Nightclub - 540 Howard Street, San Francisco

HOW WEIRD @ 111
Produced by the Consortium of Collective Consciousness and Outersection with Vaporvent
(Psytrance, Downtempo)
111 Minna Gallery - 111 Minna Street, San Francisco

HOW WEIRD @ HARLOT
Opel's You Can't Stop Weird
(Breaks, Electro, Tech-house)
Harlot - 46 Minna Street, San Francisco

Plus, a bonus after party, only $8 (or $2 off with Magic Sticker)...

HOW WEIRD @ TRIPLE CROWN
Produced by Bionic and Kontrol
(House, Minimal Techno)
Triple Crown - 1760 Market Street (at Octavia), San Francisco

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 12, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
Anyone interested in the Allman Brothers this Wednesday?  A friend bailed with a bad back, so I've got an extra ticket.  Face value.

The show is sold out, so I will be able to sell the ticket out front most likely, but in case anyone here is interested...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #783 on: May 12, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
Anyone interested in the Allman Brothers this Wednesday?  A friend bailed with a bad back, so I've got an extra ticket.  Face value.

The show is sold out, so I will be able to sell the ticket out front most likely, but in case anyone here is interested...
are you going?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.
I was definitely interested, but obviously didn't get it together.  I still haven't recovered from Sunday night's Dead gig, and would probably not survive an additional midweek jamfest.  Please file a review when you feel so inclined.  Our band is doing Ramblin' Man for our next gig at the hospital!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 14, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.
I was definitely interested, but obviously didn't get it together.  I still haven't recovered from Sunday night's Dead gig, and would probably not survive an additional midweek jamfest.  Please file a review when you feel so inclined.  Our band is doing Ramblin' Man for our next gig at the hospital!

I'm tired.  Midweek jamfests are a bad idea, unless you take the next day off work.  Show ended at about 11:40.  Don't they know I'm and old man?  Still, it was very good, and I had no problem selling the ticket at face value, and, if I were the mercenary type, could have made a few bucks.

No Ramblin' Man, nor Blue Sky.  Probably have to see Dickie Betts to get those.

Excellent duel guitars from Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, and all them drums kept things lively (except for the extended drum circle jam, which came late and I was fading already, so it seemed a bit excessive).  Greg doesn't get to sing a lot in these shows, but he sounded fine throughout, and especially good  on "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

They encored with Southbound, a personal favorite they thankfully kept to a modest 7 or 8 minutes.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.

I'm tired.  Midweek jamfests are a bad idea, unless you take the next day off work.  Show ended at about 11:40.  Don't they know I'm and old man?  Still, it was very good, and I had no problem selling the ticket at face value, and, if I were the mercenary type, could have made a few bucks.

Excellent duel guitars from Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes, and all them drums kept things lively (except for the extended drum circle jam, which came late and I was fading already, so it seemed a bit excessive).  Greg doesn't get to sing a lot in these shows, but he sounded fine throughout, and especially good  on "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."

They encored with Southbound, a personal favorite they thankfully kept to a modest 7 or 8 minutes.
thanks for the report.  No way I could've gone without taking today off!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.

Whipping Post?

So if Greg's not singing, who is? Or are they just doing instrumentals like Elizabeth Reed and Jessica all night long?
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 14, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »

are you going?

Yes indeed.

Whipping Post?

So if Greg's not singing, who is? Or are they just doing instrumentals like Elizabeth Reed and Jessica all night long?

Whipping Post was early in the first set.  Very nice.

By not singing much, I meant by percentage -- song opens, some singing, then an extended jam, a bit more singing, more extended jamming.  And of course the instrumentals (I still can't tell Elizabeth Reed from Jessica, unless they're, so to speak, standing next to each other).  And Warren Haynes did some lead vocal too.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
SF Event 6/14
« Reply #790 on: June 14, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »
Here's a rock history event I'll be at today:
Sunday, June 14 12:00p to 5:00p at The Old Mint Building, 88 Fifth St at Mission, SF.  The San Francisco Museum and Historical Society (SFMHS) in conjunction with Wolfgang’s Vault presents Backstage Pass: A Sweeping History of Rock ’n Roll at the Old Mint.  From June 10 - June 14, the Old Mint will open its doors to the public for a rare viewing of the building, including its never-before-seen extraordinary vaults, for a limited engagement exhibit of select works from Bill Graham archives from Wolfgang’s Vault, the world’s largest collection of live concert recordings and music memorabilia.  More than 100 rarely seen historic banners, posters, photographs and videos of rock legends performing at San Francisco's top concert venues will be on display, including Carlos Santana, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Huey Lewis and The News, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane/Starship and Linda Ronstadt, to name a few.  Admission is $10 per person. All proceeds benefit the SFMHS education programs and facilities.  Performing at this event Sunday June 14: Jefferson Starship  Website: http://www.sfhistory.org/

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: SF Event 6/14
« Reply #791 on: June 14, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
Sunday, June 14 12:00p to 5:00p at The Old Mint Building, 88 Fifth St at Mission, SF.  The San Francisco Museum and Historical Society (SFMHS) in conjunction with Wolfgang’s Vault presents Backstage Pass: A Sweeping History of Rock ’n Roll at the Old Mint.  From June 10 - June 14, the Old Mint will open its doors to the public for a rare viewing of the building, including its never-before-seen extraordinary vaults, for a limited engagement exhibit of select works from Bill Graham archives from Wolfgang’s Vault, the world’s largest collection of live concert recordings and music memorabilia.  More than 100 rarely seen historic banners, posters, photographs and videos of rock legends performing at San Francisco's top concert venues will be on display, including Carlos Santana, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Huey Lewis and The News, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane/Starship and Linda Ronstadt, to name a few.  Admission is $10 per person. All proceeds benefit the SFMHS education programs and facilities.  Performing at this event Sunday June 14: Jefferson Starship  Website: http://www.sfhistory.org/

Are you sticking around for the Jefferson Starship concert?  Take pics!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 14, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »
Will do!  You know, I met Paul Kantner back around 1991 at Vesuvio's bar in SF (next to City Lights bookstore). He came in, sat at bar, I talked with him a few moments, got his autograph on back of my business card. 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 14, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
Will do!  You know, I met Paul Kantner back around 1991 at Vesuvio's bar in SF (next to City Lights bookstore). He came in, sat at bar, I talked with him a few moments, got his autograph on back of my business card. 

I think I posted here a couple years ago (but it may have been before Wayback joined our ranks) about meeting Kantner while waiting for a table at the Pacific Cafe out on Geary (nod to Geoff here). He came in and waited with the rest of the hoi polloi and struck up a conversation with me and a couple of my friends, introduced himself, ("I'm Paul"), and talked about how he used to bring his daughter there years ago. Very normal, unassuming guy.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:25 AM »
Unfortunately SFGate had the info wrong, JS played the SF Mint on June 4th (not 14th), along with Booker T, in an invitation only event.  However, it was very cool to see historic Bill Graham Productions concert banners, posters, photos displayed throughout the old Mint, including downstairs in the various vaults, a very rare opportunity to get inside those!  I did take photos of many of the displays, including a pic of me with the actual backstage door saved from the fabled Winterland Arena, thru which many many rock legends have passed!