Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399139 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #765 on: April 16, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
Green Day is playing the Fox in Oakland tomorrow night.  Tickets on sale at 5pm tonight, 2 ticket limit.

and apparently it was quite a show -- Joel Selvin says the new material is light years ahead of even American Idiot...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/15/DDJL172UN1.DTL&type=music
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 16, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
Green Day is playing the Fox in Oakland tomorrow night.  Tickets on sale at 5pm tonight, 2 ticket limit.

and apparently it was quite a show -- Joel Selvin says the new material is light years ahead of even American Idiot...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/15/DDJL172UN1.DTL&type=music

A friend actually was able to get tickets (his girlfriend had success).  He said is pretty good, though he wasn't that impressed with the new material (some good songs, but it went on too long).  But he goes into most things with a pretty negative attitude, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt.  I'm looking forward to the new release and thought AI was a work of punk-pop genius.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 16, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »

A friend actually was able to get tickets (his girlfriend had success).  He said is pretty good, though he wasn't that impressed with the new material (some good songs, but it went on too long).  But he goes into most things with a pretty negative attitude, so I take his opinions with a grain of salt.  I'm looking forward to the new release and thought AI was a work of punk-pop genius.

A friend has seen at least 3 of the Green Day sneaks (he's pals with their road manager) and he's been raving about 'em. I am pretty anxious to hear the new mat'l myself--am in complete agreement with Rod about AI.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 16, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »

A friend has seen at least 3 of the Green Day sneaks (he's pals with their road manager) and he's been raving about 'em. I am pretty anxious to hear the new mat'l myself--am in complete agreement with Rod about AI.

I've heard parts of "Know Your Enemy" 3 times today, and I think it could be pretty awesome, but still haven't heard it front to back.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 20, 2009, 09:43:30 PM »
a little Indian food at Shalimar on Polk

A place perhaps worthy of discussion on the food thread.  I used to love going there at 3 in the morning.  Great food, despite the occasional pebble in the lentils.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »
Woohoo, it's concert night!  Here's a recent review:
Jeff Beck wows with his guitar sleight of hand.
The Connecticut Day [theday.com
By Rick Koster Published on 4/13/2009

Long after Jeff Beck and his miraculous band had finished their 85-minute set in the MGM Grand Theater at Foxwoods Saturday, five men still sat, dumbfounded, in their front row seats in the otherwise deserted hall.

Ricky Jay, David Copperfield, Criss Angel and Penn and Teller simply could not digest Beck's guitar sorcery. Finally, it was Teller who asked, “How the hell does he do that?”

A sold-out crowd of us lesser mortals will be pondering the same question for days after Beck put on a carnival display of the possibilities of the electric guitar - in which any context of “showing off” was communicated with a spirit of great fun, and the sounds and technique were at all times delivered in service to the music itself.

Now 64, with the frame and energy of someone just out of college, Beck emerged from the wings in an angel-colored outfit: white jeans tucked into white boots and a tripartite white top. And his signature crop of blooming onion hair stays the same as it ever was.

Beck's support group was effortlessly equal to the task: all-world drummer Vinnie Colaiuta, wunderkind Australian bassist Tal Wilkenfeld, and keyboardist Jason Rebello. But “support” isn't really fair. Though Beck, inducted last week into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame for the second time, is clearly a one-of-a-kind genius, his creative muse demands cooperative interplay rather than chordal backdrop over which he sets off nuclear explosions.

Charging into the set with “Beck's Bolero,” he darted, capered, soared and dive-bombed through 19 tunes. Whether using speed-clusters of notes, slide guitar harmonics, tremolo bar-orchestrations or combinations and inventions of sounds that seemed simply not possible, Beck grinned and essentially seduced his instrument in fashions simply unimagined by other players.

It's been years, of course, since Beck worked with vocalists, and his preferred style is closest in textbook definition to jazz-rock fusion. But the presentation skipped from a brain-melting rendition of the Beatles' “A Day in the Life” to a tenderly affectionate “Goodbye Porkpie Hat” by Charles Mingus.

They did “Nadia” from “You Had It Coming,” “Angel” and “Brush With the Blues” from “Jeff” and, from “Guitar Shop,” “Behind the Veil” and the whammy bar/harmonics miracle of “Where Were You.” And, yes: his now-signature interpretation of Stevie Wonder's “'Cause We've Ended as Lovers” and “Blue Wind” from the “Wired” and “Blow by Blow” days.

An out-of-left-field surprise was another highlight: a cyclonic take on Billy Cobham's “Stratus,” with Colaiuta going insane as Beck devilishly recreated guitarist Tommy Bolin's original lines.

Not once did Beck have to tune or even change his guitar out. How is that possible? Well, frankly, nothing Jeff Beck does surprises me.

And everything he does surprises me.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
jealous, very jealous.

...and please confirm that he does the whole show without changing or even tuning his guitar.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 23, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
jealous, very jealous.

...and please confirm that he does the whole show without changing or even tuning his guitar.

I was just checking Craiglist for tickets.    I'm thinking of going....
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
jealous, very jealous.

You should, if only so I can live the experience vicariously through you and Rod. Beck is a master, and if you haven't seen him before, all the more reason to go. Btw, don't expect to see a lot of women there. :)
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #774 on: April 25, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
jealous, very jealous.

You should, if only so I can live the experience vicariously through you and Rod. Beck is a master, and if you haven't seen him before, all the more reason to go. Btw, don't expect to see a lot of women there. :)
Waiting for your review Rod!  A friend went, and posted this on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=75863329123&ref=nf
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 27, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
jealous, very jealous.

Very fine show.  Beck was shredding, the band was strong (one friend was saying that the drummer might be the best drummer he's ever seen).  The things Beck does teasing cries and moans and plain weirdness from his instrument, I don't think anyone emotes better on a guitar (at least not in the world of rock).  And to confirm for Mshray, yep, no guitar changes or tunings.  Just an hour and a half of continuous jamming.  I guess they might have retuned before the encore, but probably not.

Geoff, the note link just redirects me to my home page on facebook...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 27, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
jealous, very jealous.

Very fine show.  Beck was shredding, the band was strong (one friend was saying that the drummer might be the best drummer he's ever seen).  The things Beck does teasing cries and moans and plain weirdness from his instrument, I don't think anyone emotes better on a guitar (at least not in the world of rock).  And to confirm for Mshray, yep, no guitar changes or tunings.  Just an hour and a half of continuous jamming.  I guess they might have retuned before the encore, but probably not.

Geoff, the note link just redirects me to my home page on facebook...

Pretty sure the drummer was Vinnie Colaiuta, one of the many killer skinsmen to come to promininence in Frank Zappa's bands over the years. And Beck *always* gives them enough space to show off a bit and make you think "My god, that guy was the best effing drummer I've ever seen." Prior to Colaiuta I'd seen him play with Terry Bozzio (SF native and another Zappa alum) and Simon Phillips, who's a British *monster* of the double bass, played with Townshend, then the Who on the latter-day Tommy revival tour, and held down the drum chair in 801, Phil Manzanera's post-Roxy project with Brian Eno, when he was about 17. But Colaiuta is absolutely top of his field--the equal of about any other drummer you could name.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 01, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »
The things Beck does teasing cries and moans and plain weirdness from his instrument, I don't think anyone emotes better on a guitar (at least not in the world of rock). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3y61-WSuwQ

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 04, 2009, 11:52:03 PM »
The things Beck does teasing cries and moans and plain weirdness from his instrument, I don't think anyone emotes better on a guitar (at least not in the world of rock). 

And he does most of it picking with his thumb. Amazing--and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass is pretty impressive as well. I'd never seen her play before.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 05, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »

And he does most of it picking with his thumb. Amazing--and Tal Wilkenfeld on bass is pretty impressive as well. I'd never seen her play before.

Did he always look like Ron Wood? Or is that just something that happens to Brit rockers after a certain age?
Note: Percy in the audience.

ETA: And here's more Tai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFFRHBCPzA&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:13:33 PM by princessofcairo »