Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443367 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2006, 08:36:58 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
It's a good week for live music in NYC.  As I scribbled for this week's Voice:

Jefferson Starship: ‘Jefferson Airplane Galactic Reunion’
North Fork Theatre, Westbury Music Fair.

Yikes, they're playing Westbury Music Fair? I didn't think that was still in existence -- one of the original "theater-in-the-round" venues. I saw Randy Travis there in '89, with a then-unknown opening act named Clint Black.

"kitsch’n’sink" -- LOL!  did you coin that?

"Ah think ah bettah DANCE now!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:43 PM »
Crossing my fingers for Aerosmith to play tomorrow. I heard they are making a Grammy appearance then jetting up for the show.

If one of you is interested in the rescheduled Aerosmith San Jose show on April 11, let me know. My friend who was going can't make it on the 11th so I'll either get a refund or it will be me, Bob, and you!
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2006, 07:33:48 AM »
Advance previews of some of the following week's shows (don't worry, I won't post these all the time):

THURSDAY 2.16

Livingston Taylor
Joe’s Pub, 425 Lafayette, 212-239-6200
7pm, $20.

His nephew Ben (James’s son) played the Bowery the night before, so don’t be surprised if this intimate show becomes yet another Taylor family affair. A Berklee music instructor when not performing, Liv sounds a whole lot like James, just as simple and serene, and tonight promotes a new indie album, There You Are Again.

TUESDAY 2.21

O’Death + Nicole Schneit + LD Beghtol and the New Criticism
Pete’s Candy Store, 709 Lorimer St, Bklyn, 718-302-3770.
9pm.

O’Death? O’noshedidnt. Civil War shanty-punk hootenanny, if you need it. But the night’s redeemed by LD Beghtol’s band, who I’ll accommodate and file under “Experimental Countrypolitan Deathpop” next to Bobby Goldsboro. The New Criticism tunesmiths are diverse as vaudeville and twice as clever, utilizing any number of genres, instruments, and approaches. With Nicole Schneit.

TUESDAY 2.21

Jenny Owen Youngs + Jessie Murphy + Rachel Loshak
Living Room, 154 Ludlow, 212-533-7235
8pm.

Murphy’s February residency with newfound bandmate Jamie Stellini bears fruit: Fellow indiepop avenger Jenny Owen Youngs is on board every Tuesday this month as well, offering material like “Fuck Was I” (as in, thinking) that’s far more interesting lyrically than musically. Same goes for the briskly orchestral Rachel Loshak, whose tunes are pleasant but samey and safe.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2006, 08:58:56 AM »
Can one of you lead me to a picture of Joel Selvin? My friend thinks he was in front of us at Aerosmith last night and I'm curious. More deets on the show later
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2006, 09:08:44 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Can one of you lead me to a picture of Joel Selvin? My friend thinks he was in front of us at Aerosmith last night and I'm curious. More deets on the show later

ask and ye shall receive:

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2006, 09:48:50 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

You might want to mentally subtract some hair and add a few pounds and wrinkles--I think that shot is at least 10 years old. He sat in front of us at the Costello show at the Paramount last year and he looked sort of like that, just older.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2006, 10:07:48 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

You might want to mentally subtract some hair and add a few pounds and wrinkles--I think that shot is at least 10 years old. He sat in front of us at the Costello show at the Paramount last year and he looked sort of like that, just older.

Hell, he looked 10 years older than that pic when I met him 10 years ago!

(Actually, closer to 8: I visited him in '97 or '98 when I expressed interest in the Sly & the Family Stone oral-history bio he was then working on.  Dude's got a jukebox in his kitchen.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »
Mighta been Joel if his hair got longer and wavy so not sure. There was an older gentleman with him and many people chatted with them. One was a venue VIP. But who cares. Concert was great fun albeit a bit delayed.

I liked Lenny Kravitz. I started with dinner at Francesco's so made it to the show late. Lenny was late starting too so it worked out. Near the end he walked through the crowd singing, all the way around the arena. He was shaking hands and being friendly. Stopped and posed for pictures with people. I got to pat him on the back like in a "good job" kind of way. He had a very young trumpet player who walked by after the set and he signed my ticket and chatted a bit. His female drummer rocked.

OK. Now the WAIT for Steven Tyler and Co. who were flying in from LA. Idiots. Took forever. The wait between sets was like an hour or more and the freakin crowd did the WAVE about six times around the place. First time I've experienced the wave at a rock show. Weird. They finally got started about 10:20-10:30. They are so HOT. Not in an icky old like Mick way but in a they still got the moves kind of way. Steven is looking craggy and a bit creepy but what the hell. I think there was a fleeting resemblance to Keith. When Steven started out he was wearing a pair of sunglasses and looked like Jim Morrison. He then flung those down into the crowd, about 20 feet from me. Later he was close by again (there were two stages on the left and right of front center that came out to center court which brought him to me) and playing harmonica and leaning out into the crowd. Some guy held up a cup of beer which Steven put his fingers into the tasted it. When finishing the song, he motioned to beer guy to come forward with the cup. He reached out and dropped his harmonica into the suds. Sweet Emotion was great. Guitarist, bass player I guess, Tom, showcased his talent and I got to watch Mr. Tylers booty about 20 feet in front of me while singing "just a shakin' your ass". OK, it was meaningful to me. He also put on quite a show with some woman up one of the side ramps. On to Joe Perry. Hubba bubba. I think he waxes because his chest is tooo smooooth. He put on a great show. I did not like one of his singles that he did because the lyrics were stupid. I can overlook that. He made good crowd contact but never close enough to me. Damn. He finished the show with his shirt off (YAY!), guitar on ground, whipping his shirt against the strings and it sounded just fine.

Must be a timing issue in Oakland because after a late arrival, they only played until 12. I expected more. Also, what's up with cameras at shows now? They're allowed? Maybe because everyone (except me) seems to have one as part of their cell phone? Lots of picture taking and vendors were selling disposable cameras if you wanted them. I was feeling cursed for not having mine and thinking I'll not have such a good vantage point for the San Jose show in April. If I had taken pics, they would have been awesome.

Overall, even though the band played to the crowd and were more touchy feely and accessible than I have ever witnessed, they were tight and played well. The sound in Oakland is so much better than San Jose or SBC or Shoreline. No more to say. I've probably grossed you out with too much damn they're HOT! But they are!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2006, 09:33:57 PM »
closest I could come to a shirtless Joe Perry pic:

That's him with Roger Clemens who I WISH was shirtless...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2006, 09:39:53 PM »
closest I could come to a shirtless Joe Perry pic:

That's him with Roger Clemens who I WISH was shirtless...

I'd mow you down on my way to get BOTH of them! :wink:
I neglected to mention in my rave above that Joe had on boots with SPURS. Yeeee hawww!
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
He had a very young trumpet player who walked by after the set and he signed my ticket and chatted a bit. His female drummer rocked.

guy with black hair, skinny, wearing a tight t-shirt, no big bicep muscles? that was probably my buddy, michael leonhart.

and, yes, cindy blackman is a drumming god!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
He had a very young trumpet player who walked by after the set and he signed my ticket and chatted a bit. His female drummer rocked.

guy with black hair, skinny, wearing a tight t-shirt, no big bicep muscles? that was probably my buddy, michael leonhart.

He was really nice. ABout 19. Don't know about his hair....We chatted because he was wearing a red (I think) Yankees hat. He took the hat off and explained it was not because he was a big fan but to cover the cap thing he had on that was smoothing or training his hair to go back. He was slenderinsh I guess.

I'd like to see/hear more of Cindy's work. Wish I could rock on the drums.
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »

He was really nice. ABout 19. Don't know about his hair....We chatted because he was wearing a red (I think) Yankees hat. He took the hat off and explained it was not because he was a big fan but to cover the cap thing he had on that was smoothing or training his hair to go back. He was slenderinsh I guess.

no, my friend is in his 30s. but he looks like he's 19. except his hair recedes a bit. at one point, he was the youngest person to win a grammy.

i can send you some cindy blackman. just let me know which email addy to use.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2006, 10:00:31 PM »

i can send you some cindy blackman. just let me know which email addy to use.

try the hotmail addy. I have sbc but only if hotmail doesn't work.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »
Gaz is arriving a few days too late to see St Etienne at the Fillmore tomo'w nite.