Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499943 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1845 on: June 26, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »

what about Trollhunter?  anyone catch that?  Pretty fun Norwegian movie about ... a troll hunter.  Showing at Lumiere currrently.  If you miss it, catch it on the DVD.

Just watched it on PPV... Trollhunter rocks!  Really enjoyed it. One reviewer called it "Cloverfield meets Monty Python" which is a good description... and appropriate, since all the Norwegian scenery had me pinin' for the fjords...  ;)

BTW, Tinka, if you liked Trollhunter I think you'd love Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale, the Finnish holiday horror flick that played here last December.

"TRROOOLLLLLLL!!!"

yes, I've heard of Rare Exports... I should netflix it for the holidays.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 27, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »
The Coen Bros next film will be about the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early '60s, loosely based on Dave Van Ronk's memoirs.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2011/06/coens-next-film-inhabits-early-nyc-folk-music-scene/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 28, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
Went to a screening of Upside Down: The Creation Records Story last night.  This was my favorite label, back in da day...Jesus & Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Ride, Boo Radleys, House of Love, My Bloody Valentine & Oasis were all interviewed in this documentary.  These folks really knew how to have a good time, I tells ya.  Oh and they also managed to put out some great records all the while. 

Mark Gardener from Ride ended up playing a short acoustic set at the end of the film.  This evening was just too amazing for words. 

Here's a link to the movie website:

http://www.upsidedownthemovie.com/

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 29, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »
on PBS last night the POV film series showed My Perestroika, a doc about Soviets (Russians) who came of age just when the USSR was turning the corner.  They were indoctrinated in the Soviet Party system: encouraged to join the Party youth groups sing songs, etc, just like many youths.  The film catches up with them now: two are teachers and married, one is a musician, one is a businessman, one is a depressed chain-smoking single mom.  Pretty interesting, but I couldn't stay awake for the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:52:10 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 29, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »
on PBS last night the POV film series showed My Perestroika, a doc about Soviets (Russians) who came of age just when the USSR was turning the corner.  They were indoctrinated in the Soviet Party system: encouraged to join the Party youth groups sing songs, etc, just like many youths.  The film catches up with them now: two are teachers and married, one is a musician, one is a businessman, one is a depressed chain-smoking single mom.  Pretty interesting, but I couldn't stay awake for the whole thing.

Wow -- I paid 10 hard-earned bucks to see that at the Balboa just a month ago!  Had I known...

(I liked it, BTW)

and speaking of quick turnarounds to TV, on Fri nite VH-1 Classic will be showing that S&G docu, "The Harmony Game", that Gaz, mshray and I saw (also at the Balboa) when Gaz was in town a few months back.  Well worth seeing if you have that channel on yer cable menu.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:04:42 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 30, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
Roger Ebert on Larry Crowne:

"I watched the movie with all the pleasure I bring to watching bread rise. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching bread rise, but it lacks a certain degree of interest. You look forward to it being finished."

oh, snap!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: July 01, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »
Roger Ebert on Larry Crowne:

"I watched the movie with all the pleasure I bring to watching bread rise. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching bread rise, but it lacks a certain degree of interest. You look forward to it being finished."

oh, snap!

I haven't heard of the film, but that's a great line!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: July 02, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »
Wow -- I paid 10 hard-earned bucks to see that at the Balboa just a month ago!  Had I known...

Hey, yer helping keep the Balboa open.  :)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: July 04, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
did anyone see Super-8?  I loved it.  Saw it in IMAX!  A rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters...
I saw Super-8 a week ago and enjoyed it.  Saw it in regular format, not IMAX; wonder how much the experience differs?   Felt like I was back at the movies again in the late '70s/early 80s.   Like you said, "a rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters..."  and elements of Jaws too.   And be sure to stick around during the credits to see the final edit of the film that the kids were working on during the movie.

Finally saw it today as part of a holiday double-header: first up was X-Men: First Class, a nicely-rendered and well-cast "origins" story that I quite enjoyed. Then came Super 8 and it's as described previously, a wonderful throwback to '80s Spielberg-ism. Elle Fanning for Best Supporting Actress!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: July 05, 2011, 12:37:49 AM »
did anyone see Super-8?  I loved it.  Saw it in IMAX!  A rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters...
I saw Super-8 a week ago and enjoyed it.  Saw it in regular format, not IMAX; wonder how much the experience differs?   Felt like I was back at the movies again in the late '70s/early 80s.   Like you said, "a rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters..."  and elements of Jaws too.   And be sure to stick around during the credits to see the final edit of the film that the kids were working on during the movie.

Finally saw it today as part of a holiday double-header: first up was X-Men: First Class, a nicely-rendered and well-cast "origins" story that I quite enjoyed. Then came Super 8 and it's as described previously, a wonderful throwback to '80s Spielberg-ism. Elle Fanning for Best Supporting Actress!

We saw Super 8 today as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Completely agree about Spielberg reclaiming some of his past glories--I saw (and felt) bits of E.T. and Close Encounters, as well as Alien (yeah, I know that was Ridley Scott) and a few others of that era, too. No Jaws, but didn't miss it.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: July 06, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
Saw 2 unnecessary remakes 2night...Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2, although Kung Fu Panda 2 was somewhat redeeming.  Dazzling animation.  Decent story.  Predictably happy ending.  Cars 2 on the other hand was a total disaster.  I got a kick out of how they drew Japan, but for the rest, they just tried too hard.  The protagonist was annoying.  There wasn't a real developed villain, although the movie tried to make a few of them.  The plot was severely muddled.  The animation was probably good, but I was too busy being irritated at everything else to pay attention to that.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »
Saw 2 unnecessary remakes 2night...Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2, although Kung Fu Panda 2 was somewhat redeeming.  Dazzling animation.  Decent story.  Predictably happy ending.  Cars 2 on the other hand was a total disaster.  I got a kick out of how they drew Japan, but for the rest, they just tried too hard.  The protagonist was annoying.  There wasn't a real developed villain, although the movie tried to make a few of them.  The plot was severely muddled.  The animation was probably good, but I was too busy being irritated at everything else to pay attention to that.

indeed, C2 has gotten the worst reviews of any Pixar ever; they've got a lot of sequels in the pipeline including Monsters Inc 2 and Incredibles 2.

Last nite I saw Beginners, with Christopher Plummer & Ewan McGregor -- very moving and sweet. 2 thumbs up.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
from Rotten Tomatoes' comment section:

"Things I'd Rather Do Than See Zookeeper:

Spend an hour in a sleeping bag with Glenn Beck
Be Snooki's assistant
Eat at Jollibee's for a week"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: July 16, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »

LOL!  That movie has like a 13%...among the lowest this year for sure, maybe ever.

I saw X-Men and Green Lantern the other day.  I agree that X-Men was well cast...felt just a little forced though, but it seemed to work.  Green Lantern OTOH = the most hilariously bad movie I've seen since "Glitter"  :-X

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: July 19, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
I am so TOTALLY looking forward to this one:  Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle! How could it be bad?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/movies/brendan-gleeson-and-don-cheadle-in-the-guard.html?_r=1&ref=movies