Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499578 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1830 on: June 08, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
Saw Tree of Life last night.  It's a very ambitious movie, and challenging.  I think Mick LaSalle said of it that it comes close to showing on screen how memory works. That's debatable  -- my memories were never in such detailed and clear expansive visuals, mine often play out more like scratchy fuzzy super-8 clips...

So then you'll be seeing Super 8 this weekend?  ;)

I've got Tree.... pencilled in for Monday after work. And next week there's the "event" screening of the concert version of Sondheim's Company with Neil Patrick Harris and Stephen Colbert!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 12, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
OK I realize trailers can be misleading, but that Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts thing (Larry Crowne) looks... lame.  And I just found out it was written by Nia "My Big Fat Greek Chick Flick" Vardalos, which oughta be a HUGE red flag.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 13, 2011, 09:42:09 AM »
OK I realize trailers can be misleading, but that Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts thing (Larry Crowne) looks... lame.  And I just found out it was written by Nia "My Big Fat Greek Chick Flick" Vardalos, which oughta be a HUGE red flag.

Okay Stan...

Actually I didn't think it looked that bad.  Sure it's going to be shmaltzy as all get out, but it's got Hanks and Roberts, and they will probably make it work.  I have a weak spot for romcoms, and it usually comes down to the leads.  I kind of like the big fat greek wedding chick too.  Not exactly intellectually stimulating, but jovial and pleasant.  I even liked My Life In Ruins (with Richard Dreyfuss), and nobody should admit to that.

But I like happy endings (get your mind out of the gutter).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:38 AM »

Okay Stan...

well, I didn't actually use the word "shit"  ;)

I'm confused by the premise, tho': they FIRE him after 20 years because he didn't go to college? Isn't that illegal or something? Wha?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »

"The Rapture" is a good movie, actually -- it's got enuf to piss-off both fundies AND atheists. "Like, OMG -- what if this stuff is actually true??"

I just watched it last night. I don't know if I'd describe it as "good," but I agree it's pretty fair when it comes to the piss-off. Lemon Faire, Vermont!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
Saw Tree of Life last night.  It's a very ambitious movie, and challenging.  I think Mick LaSalle said of it that it comes close to showing on screen how memory works. That's debatable  -- my memories were never in such detailed and clear expansive visuals, mine often play out more like scratchy fuzzy super-8 clips -- but it does illuminate the non-narrative aspect of the movie.  If you're expecting a plot-driven ride, go elsewhere.  This is largely dark and very tense at times when it focuses on the main character's unsettling recollections.  Large portions are devoted to seemingly tangential forays into cosmological- or molecular-level displays that might come off as laughable if you're not in the mood.  Likewise with the  occasional disconnected and ponderous voiceover clips that play out from the main character's consciousness.   Parts of the movie are also tedious, perhaps like some well-worn memories we'd rather not see again?

It will stick with me: it's powerful, but I can't say it was completely enjoyable... nevertheless I give it two gerbils up!

saw it last nite and to my surprise I liked it a lot. I'm not a Malick groupie by any stretch; while I loved Badlands and Days of Heaven way back when, I was lukewarm about The New World and found Thin Red Line painfully long and obtuse.

But mostly agree with what TC said above, about Tree. Parts of it are achingly beautiful, you def need to be in the mood for this sort of thing. Thought Pitt was quite good and the child actors were excellent.  The dinosaurs were a bit "WTF?" and that last bit on the beach was a tad Oprah-esque, but overall it worked for me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 16, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
Another cheezy thurs nite of sci-fi on TCM: Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.  Great stuff.

And later tonite, Queen of Outer Space and Mars Needs Women!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:11:28 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1837 on: June 18, 2011, 08:07:47 AM »
As we were leaving the hotel yesterday, I caught part of a movie with Jeff Bridges as an alien.  When I got home, I figured it out, it was "Starman," which I'd never seen.  I'm sure most of you guys have.  I enjoyed it for geeky reasons (I worked on the space probe Voyager back in '74-'75), but found it quite predictable.  It looked like he was mimicking TNG's Data, but this movie predates TNG.  It has relatively good fan ratings, and a decent Ebert review too.  Did anyone else see this?  It said Jeff got an Oscar nod too, which seems incredible to me.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 18, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
As we were leaving the hotel yesterday, I caught part of a movie with Jeff Bridges as an alien.  When I got home, I figured it out, it was "Starman," which I'd never seen.  I'm sure most of you guys have.  I enjoyed it for geeky reasons (I worked on the space probe Voyager back in '74-'75), but found it quite predictable.  It looked like he was mimicking TNG's Data, but this movie predates TNG.  It has relatively good fan ratings, and a decent Ebert review too.  Did anyone else see this?  It said Jeff got an Oscar nod too, which seems incredible to me.

It's a pretty  wonderful film, and Bridges Oscar nod was well-deserved for the kind of acting Oscar tends to overlook.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 20, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 20, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
did anyone see Super-8?  I loved it.  Saw it in IMAX!  A rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters...

what about Trollhunter?  anyone catch that?  Pretty fun Norwegian movie about ... a troll hunter.  Showing at Lumiere currrently.  If you miss it, catch it on the DVD.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
did anyone see Super-8?  I loved it.  Saw it in IMAX!  A rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters...

what about Trollhunter?  anyone catch that?  Pretty fun Norwegian movie about ... a troll hunter.  Showing at Lumiere currrently.  If you miss it, catch it on the DVD.

Looking forward to seeing Super 8, and Trollhunter is available in your living room right now via Comcast On-Demand -- I will probably watch it this weekend. (they're already talking American remake, BTW)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 20, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
I saw Super-8 a week ago and enjoyed it.  Saw it in regular format, not IMAX; wonder how much the experience differs?   Felt like I was back at the movies again in the late '70s/early 80s.   Like you said, "a rollicking ride with nods to The Goonies, E.T., Close Encounters..."  and elements of Jaws too.   And be sure to stick around during the credits to see the final edit of the film that the kids were working on during the movie.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
Final cheezy-'50s-monster-movie Thursday of the month on TCM: Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, a fave of mine from childhood and the film that put Ray Harryhausen on the map. Great stuff.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »

Just watched it on PPV... Trollhunter rocks!  Really enjoyed it. One reviewer called it "Cloverfield meets Monty Python" which is a good description... and appropriate, since all the Norwegian scenery had me pinin' for the fjords...  ;)

BTW, Tinka, if you liked Trollhunter I think you'd love Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale, the Finnish holiday horror flick that played here last December.