Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499600 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1335 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:16 PM »

If J&J gets a Best Pic nom and Hurt Locker doesn't, there'll be hell to pay, I tells ya!

I saw Hurt Locker 2 weeks ago, it blew me away (pun somewhat intended).  Quite possibly the best/most realistic war movie ever.   I repeatedly found myself surprised to realize I was watching fiction, it looks and feels so real I had the visceral sense I was watching a documentary.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:42 PM »

Saw Julie & Julia last nite -- Streep has her next Oscar in the bag. Like most critics, I found the "Julia" portions a lot more interesting than the "Julie" parts.  And oh, that food.  "You can never have too much butter!"

Wife & I saw it last night too, as the kids are at the in-laws all week.  Great film, definitely an Oscar for Streep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a Best Pic nom.
I saw the 2:15 show yesterday. LOVED it. Streep was the best. I liked the Julia parts too. I have an OLD (mothers copy I think) of Joy of Cooking. Listed in front with previous printings thru June 1972 and it averaged 2 printings a year with original copyright in 1931. There are two red ribbon bookmarks attached in it. One set to Eggs, Souffles and Timbales. WTH are Timbales? I have looked at some of the recipes but it seems dated and a bit more advanced than I can handle. There's a recipe for green peas and lettuce to be served with melted butter or cream. Yum.

I remember watching the real Julia on TV and sexy is a word I'd NEVER equate with her. Matronly, yes.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
There are two red ribbon bookmarks attached in it. One set to Eggs, Souffles and Timbales. WTH are Timbales?

I think a timbale is sort of an Italian souffle, but way more involved. Ever see Big Night with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub? Tony S.'s character makes one (it may have been called a timpano but it's approximately the same thing--it looks like a big drum) for their big banquet, and it is just an amazing thing to see, both in preparation and serving. Whoever did the food for that film had a huge job, and carried it off incredibly well.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 12, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »
There are two red ribbon bookmarks attached in it. One set to Eggs, Souffles and Timbales. WTH are Timbales?

I think a timbale is sort of an Italian souffle, but way more involved. Ever see Big Night with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shalhoub? Tony S.'s character makes one (it may have been called a timpano but it's approximately the same thing--it looks like a big drum) for their big banquet, and it is just an amazing thing to see, both in preparation and serving. Whoever did the food for that film had a huge job, and carried it off incredibly well.

Big Night, now there was a wonderful film.  I think I need to see it again someday soon, especially as well as the careers of Shalhoub (Monk) and Tucci have gone since.  Btw, Urth, in case you didn't see J&J yet, Tucci plays Julia's husband & does a very fine job.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 12, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »

Big Night, now there was a wonderful film.  I think I need to see it again someday soon, especially as well as the careers of Shalhoub (Monk) and Tucci have gone since.  Btw, Urth, in case you didn't see J&J yet, Tucci plays Julia's husband & does a very fine job.

Have not seen Julie and Julia yet, but it's high on my list, along with (500) Nights..., and Up which Sarah and I want to see together and haven't been able to find a time that works for us both. Afraid we might have missed the boat on the latter. But she's home now, for a few weeks anyway, so hope we can find it still playing somewhere.

One reminder about Big Night: make sure you eat a good meal before the film, or you'll certainly need to right afterward.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 14, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
Just came from seeing District 9. Great stuff -- it's the smart, violent, B-movie-with-subtext that Quentin Tarantino *wishes* he could make. Check it out.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 16, 2009, 07:31:17 AM »
Saw Pixar's Up last nite; gawd is it ever wonderful. If the opening sequence doesn't make you cry you must be dead. (I rarely cry at movies but I was bawling.)  I've heard arguments for and against seeing it in 3-D (Roger Ebert thinks the colors are brighter in 2-D) but I thought 3-D enhanced the experience. And if you can see it at the Castro while it's there... they play a 20-minute Disney music medley on the Mighty Wurlitzer before the show.

We saw it on Sunday as a family and I agree with all of the above.  This is not an animated movie with a few inside jokes for the adults (a la Shrek), this is a fully grown up animated film that happens to be very kid friendly.

A must see, and I was also glad to catch the 3D.  Mike did you see the short feature that preceeded it called Partly Coudy?

I finally saw Up last night.  (In 2-D.)  Loved it a lot, probably should have had my 3yo nephew with me for a fuller experience.  Arrived late and missed the preceding feature, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Taking Woodstock
« Reply #1342 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
I just saw the Colbert/Ang Lee interview, and am intrigued more now about seeing Taking Woodstock.  How do others feel?

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Woodstock
« Reply #1343 on: August 20, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I just saw the Colbert/Ang Lee interview, and am intrigued more now about seeing Taking Woodstock.  How do others feel?

Only just started hearing about this when KFOG was giving away tix yesterday for the Pop Quiz. Could be good, could be drek. Need to know more.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:25 AM »

I'll wait for the 40th anniversary of the DVD to come out in 2049...   :P ;D
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 21, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »

Only just started hearing about this when KFOG was giving away tix yesterday for the Pop Quiz. Could be good, could be drek. Need to know more.

apparently, it's not great, if the buzz from Cannes is to be believed.  There's a scene in the trailer where people are using the phrase "Woodstick nation" prior-to,  when obviously it wasn't used until AFTER the event; that gave me pause.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
So, "Inglourious Basterds" is getting rave reviews.  I might even have to make a trip to the theater for this one.  Generally, I wait for video/cable, because, well, I pay for that anyway.  I only make the trip to a theater for something that I'm really anxious to see, or that I think will be better on the big screen.  This one is more the latter, but the reviews are enticing.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 21, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
So, "Inglourious Basterds" is getting rave reviews.  I might even have to make a trip to the theater for this one.  Generally, I wait for video/cable, because, well, I pay for that anyway.  I only make the trip to a theater for something that I'm really anxious to see, or that I think will be better on the big screen.  This one is more the latter, but the reviews are enticing.

well, *mostly* raves. Here's a dissenting view:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-inglourious-basterds-review-0820,0,7766886.story

and of course Mick LaSalle said it's QT's "best" and "most mature" film, which automatically makes me wonder... ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 21, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-inglourious-basterds-review-0820,0,7766886.story

and of course Mick LaSalle said it's QT's "best" and "most mature" film, which automatically makes me wonder... ;)

"By now it's a given that Tarantino's films are invitations to the Dark Continent of Quentin, a cinema-fed fantasy land in which various tour guides offer self-consciously colorful chatter interrupted by abrupt blasts of action."

BINGO! We have a winner!  That's how I feel about a lot (most? all?) of his movies. Self-conscious, trying to hard.  Yes, they can be fun at times (that one he produced or directed about the zombies in the western town was total fun), but often I find myself annoyed at the heavy-handed attempts at being cool.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 21, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »

"By now it's a given that Tarantino's films are invitations to the Dark Continent of Quentin, a cinema-fed fantasy land in which various tour guides offer self-consciously colorful chatter interrupted by abrupt blasts of action."

BINGO! We have a winner!  That's how I feel about a lot (most? all?) of his movies. Self-conscious, trying to hard.  Yes, they can be fun at times (that one he produced or directed about the zombies in the western town was total fun), but often I find myself annoyed at the heavy-handed attempts at being cool.

Yeah, pretty much my feelings too (I think we both expressed this somewhere above in this thread). And every trailer and clip I've seen indicates that IB is more of the same, so I'm baffled how anyone can call something so over-the-top-looking "mature". I'll see it, but it's 2-1/2 hours so it may have to wait until Labor Day weekend when I have an afternoon free. TANC: as I'm typing this, the KYA stream is playing "Miserlou".