Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499529 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1275 on: June 24, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
Hollywood has gone insane:

WTF #1: Variety reports that the Academy will henceforth nominate 10 films for Best Picture every year, instead of 5.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005322.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

What justification do they have? There are just so many high-quality films coming out these days that some deserving films (like Transformers or Pineapple Express) are being left out? I'm sure the studios are for it--five more films that can be called Best Picture nominees (and also five more films that will LOSE.) Jeez, you might as well add another half an hour to the ceremonies, so they can give synopses of these the way they did last year.

indeed; I'm baffled. There used to be 10 nominees back in the early days; it stopped around 1944 or so when the Academy decided 10 was too many and made "Best Picture Nominee" not-special-enough. 

ETA: the general consensus in the movie-blog-osphere is that the omission of Dark Knight from the 5 finalists this year was a major factor in this. They want to ensure a couple of box-office blockbusters in the mix to get more people to watch the ceremonies.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:33:54 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
another great quote on Trans2 from Devin Faraci of chud.com (a fanboy site, fer chrissakes!):

"...there's nothing that works in this film. The fact that the illusion of movement is created onscreen may be Michael Bay's greatest and only triumph in this movie. Terry Schiavo would have been bored by this bloated, ponderous piece of shit."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 24, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
Hollywood has gone insane:

WTF #1: Variety reports that the Academy will henceforth nominate 10 films for Best Picture every year, instead of 5.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005322.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

What justification do they have? There are just so many high-quality films coming out these days that some deserving films (like Transformers or Pineapple Express) are being left out? I'm sure the studios are for it--five more films that can be called Best Picture nominees (and also five more films that will LOSE.) Jeez, you might as well add another half an hour to the ceremonies, so they can give synopses of these the way they did last year.

indeed; I'm baffled. There used to be 10 nominees back in the early days; it stopped around 1944 or so when the Academy decided 10 was too many and made "Best Picture Nominee" not-special-enough. 

ETA: the general consensus in the movie-blog-osphere is that the omission of Dark Knight from the 5 finalists this year was a major factor in this. They want to ensure a couple of box-office blockbusters in the mix to get more people to watch the ceremonies.

I think one thing that will result is that 'consensus' Best Pics heading into the awards will be less likely to get knocked off by the up-and-comer (such as Crash over Brokeback Mountain).  With an additional 5 films on the ballot, AMPAS voters who haven't made up their minds yet will distribute their votes more widely & be less likely to coalesce on a single choice.  If there had been 10 nominees at the 2006 Oscars, they'd certainly have included Syriana plus some combination of Walk The Line, A History of Violence, Match Point, The Constant Gardener or The Squid & The Whale.  Maybe Hustle & Flow or Transamerica would slip in behind the buzz of 'daring indy with career making acting performance'.

I always wondered if Brokeback Mountain would have won if Capote had been replaced by Syriana on the ballot.  And in hindsight I'm pretty much convinced that Crash would have lost a lot more votes to any combination of five additional films from this list than Brokeback would have.  So now I wonder if this thinking is shared & also factored into the decison to go to 10 nominees.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 24, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
Anyone going to a midnight premier of the Jack Black/ Michael Cera comedy Year One tonight?  Ha.  JK.

It looks godawful in the tv ads, but then I found out it's written and directed by Egon himself, Harold Ramis.  So there's some hope that it won't be completely horrible.

I'm confused by the TV spots: one minute they seem to be cavemen; the next they're in what looks like ancient Rome. WTF?

I just saw the ad finally; they look like
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
TIME's reviewer concurs on Transformers 2.

whothefuck is Mary Pols? Did they get rid of Corliss?

Oh, no, Richard Corliss is still around; sometimes he passes off reviews to either his wife or Pols.  Not hard to believe that TF2 was beneath him.  (RC, btw, is more fun to work with than most.  Very dramatically talkative guy who loves the sound of his own voice.  And he actually appreciates good copy editors.)

is his copy clean?  some writers love copy eds (or should) b/c they make the writer look actually competent.
Yes.  His grammar is spot-on and he knows the fussy aspects of TIME style; but his references can be, well, angular at times, and so more than once I've overlooked an error in his copy because I thought to myself, "Oh, that must just be a reference to something I don't get."

Meantime, he's got his reaction to Academy expansion:

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1906975,00.html
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 01, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
The Greatest Movie Trailers of All Time, according to IFC.

Interesting list, can't argue with #1, which I remember made me go see the movie when it first came out without any review or word of mouth.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 01, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »

Interesting list, can't argue with #1, which I remember made me go see the movie when it first came out without any review or word of mouth.

wow, I had never seen the Comedian trailer -- that Seinfeld documentary barely got released, actually, but that trailer is genius.

I remember seeing the Dr. Strangelove one on TV in 1964 as a 9-year-old.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 01, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »

wow, I had never seen the Comedian trailer -- that Seinfeld documentary barely got released, actually, but that trailer is genius.

I was the same way w #10, The Shining - elevator full of blood.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 01, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »

I was the same way w #10, The Shining - elevator full of blood.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 09, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I am *SO* looking forward to this movie:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/movies/05pare.html?_r=1

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 09, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »

You and me both!  I knew nothing about this except for maybe a passing mention in the context of the boxing match.

(Note to self: the Times capitalizes names of dances.  "like Sister Sledge teaching African girls how to dance the Bump, direct from Philadelphia")

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 09, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
Note to self: the Times capitalizes names of dances.  "like Sister Sledge teaching African girls how to dance the Bump, direct from Philadelphia"

at least they realized Sister Sledge is a group and a not a person, who would've been "Ms. Sledge". I miss the days of references to "Mr. Loaf"...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1287 on: July 09, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »

My wife spent two years in Zaïre (72-74) in the Peace Corps, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie for the African groups.  We've seen a couple of them on tour over here, and they're just awesome.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 10, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
An interesting story to begin with (Mel Gibson playing a crazy guy? what a stretch!) but some of the comments that follow it are priceless.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/07/beaverheart.php

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »

My wife spent two years in Zaïre (72-74) in the Peace Corps, and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie for the African groups.  We've seen a couple of them on tour over here, and they're just awesome.

looking fwd to this, too~!
~CPL593H~