Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536016 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #570 on: December 15, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
helen is still the hottest brit since dame judi.

There is nothing like those dames... nothing in the world.  In fact, there is nothing you can name that is anything like those dames.

tis true, tis true. on a side note, i think my avatar is hot. an attainable hot, perhaps. i'm going to do 60 sit-ups tomorrow. and maybe straighten my hair.

But what IS Ms. Bassett's deal? She's married to Courtney Vance, who I met briefly in the late '80s (when he was doing Fences on B'way with James Earl Jones, his breakout role). He sure seemed gay-as-Christmas to me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #571 on: December 21, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »
For the double- and triple-bill minded, the Castro is showing a LOTR marathon on Saturday, all 3 epics back-to-back.

And tomorrow (Friday), they've got a double-bill of John Waters' Hairspray with the criminally underrated (IMHO) Crybaby.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #572 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:50 PM »
helen is still the hottest brit since dame judi.

There is nothing like those dames... nothing in the world.  In fact, there is nothing you can name that is anything like those dames.

tis true, tis true. on a side note, i think my avatar is hot. an attainable hot, perhaps. i'm going to do 60 sit-ups tomorrow. and maybe straighten my hair.

But what IS Ms. Bassett's deal? She's married to Courtney Vance, who I met briefly in the late '80s (when he was doing Fences on B'way with James Earl Jones, his breakout role). He sure seemed gay-as-Christmas to me.

i'm with you on that. but what do i know? i hope she's gay as f**k too!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #573 on: January 09, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »
LA Times interview with Sacha Baron Cohen about Borat

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-goldstein9jan09,0,3477268.story

"a number of people in the movie have complained or filed suit, claiming they'd been hoodwinked. Cohen isn't exactly sympathetic. 'This wasn't Candid Camera, " he says. 'There were two large cameras in the room. I don't buy the argument that, "Oh, I wouldn't have acted so racist or anti-Semitic if I'd known this film was being shown in America." That's no excuse.'"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #574 on: January 09, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »
LA Times interview with Sacha Baron Cohen about Borat

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-goldstein9jan09,0,3477268.story

"a number of people in the movie have complained or filed suit, claiming they'd been hoodwinked. Cohen isn't exactly sympathetic. 'This wasn't Candid Camera, " he says. 'There were two large cameras in the room. I don't buy the argument that, "Oh, I wouldn't have acted so racist or anti-Semitic if I'd known this film was being shown in America." That's no excuse.'"

nice! i didn't know hw was ali g. i've never seen ali g, though.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #575 on: January 11, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »
Alert the princess!  The Streep sings! From the Hollywood Reporter:

"Meryl Streep will star in Universal Pictures and Playtone's adaptation of the popular ABBA musical Mamma Mia! Theater director Phyllida Lloyd is in negotiations to make her feature directorial debut on the pic, which is being produced by Playtone and Littlestar. The part marks the first musical for Streep, who has showed off her pipes in such movies as A Prairie Home Companion, Postcards From the Edge and Death Becomes Her.  Tom Hanks, and Rita Wilson are executive producing along with ABBA members and songwriters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus."

Do I want to see it? I do I do I do I do I do...

ETA: She's also doing a comedy called First Man, as the first woman prez, with De Niro as her husband.  And she's still supposed to play Martha Mitchell at some point.

ETA2: apparently she TURNED DOWN the lead in Tim Burton's film of Sweeney Todd in order to do Mamma Mia!  Nothing against ABBA, but that's seriously strange taste in projects, Meryl.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #576 on: January 12, 2007, 07:11:10 AM »
Alert the princess!  The Streep sings! From the Hollywood Reporter:

"Meryl Streep will star in Universal Pictures and Playtone's adaptation of the popular ABBA musical Mamma Mia! Theater director Phyllida Lloyd is in negotiations to make her feature directorial debut on the pic, which is being produced by Playtone and Littlestar. The part marks the first musical for Streep, who has showed off her pipes in such movies as A Prairie Home Companion, Postcards From the Edge and Death Becomes Her.  Tom Hanks, and Rita Wilson are executive producing along with ABBA members and songwriters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus."

Do I want to see it? I do I do I do I do I do...

ETA: She's also doing a comedy called First Man, as the first woman prez, with De Niro as her husband.  And she's still supposed to play Martha Mitchell at some point.

ETA2: apparently she TURNED DOWN the lead in Tim Burton's film of Sweeney Todd in order to do Mamma Mia!  Nothing against ABBA, but that's seriously strange taste in projects, Meryl.

agreed on the sweeney todd. strange taste. i hate abba. but of course i'll have to watch the damned movie. first man sounds unbearable, but i'm sure i'll have to see that, too. why do you do it to me, mary louise?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #577 on: January 12, 2007, 07:41:50 AM »
agreed on the sweeney todd. strange taste. i hate abba. but of course i'll have to watch the damned movie. first man sounds unbearable, but i'm sure i'll have to see that, too. why do you do it to me, mary louise?

I guess Angela Lansbury's too old for the Todd movie (Johnny Depp has the male lead).  Maybe the Mirren can sing?

First Man, BTW, is being written and directed by Diane English, creator of Murphy Brown, so it has potential.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #578 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »

I guess Angela Lansbury's too old for the Todd movie (Johnny Depp has the male lead).  Maybe the Mirren can sing?

First Man, BTW, is being written and directed by Diane English, creator of Murphy Brown, so it has potential.

i don't know about a singing mirren. but diane english gives me hope.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
Helen Mirren shows off her, um, globes:

2007 1968

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #580 on: January 17, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
Helen Mirren shows off her, um, globes:

2007 1968

there was a much better picture of her in today's el pais, highlighting the REAL globes. golden, indeed! still today!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #581 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:40 AM »
OK: oscar noms out...

Significant snubs: no Best Pic or Director for Dreamgirls; no Supp Actor for Nicholson; no Best Song nom for Prince.

Nice surprises: Ryan Gosling, Mark Wahlberg, Paul Greengrass.

More to come as I think of 'em.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #582 on: January 23, 2007, 08:24:29 AM »
Especially for the princess -- more Mirren, including a guide to all the movies in which she bares all:

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2007/01/will_helens_glo.html

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2007, 04:04:21 AM »
Especially for the princess -- more Mirren, including a guide to all the movies in which she bares all:

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2007/01/will_helens_glo.html

driving miss daisy was 15 years ago?!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #584 on: January 26, 2007, 02:04:59 AM »
i saw stranger than fiction last night. verrrrrrry good. great cast! i'd avoided seeing it because will ferrell was the star - i'd assumed it to be some silly comedy. it wasn't silly, at all.