Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536051 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #585 on: January 26, 2007, 07:16:25 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i saw stranger than fiction last night. verrrrrrry good. great cast! i'd avoided seeing it because will ferrell was the star - i'd assumed it to be some silly comedy. it wasn't silly, at all.

I thought it was just OK (it was considered a flop in this country, box-office-wise) but kudos to the filmmakers for reviving that wonderful Wreckless Eric song.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #586 on: February 01, 2007, 08:57:25 AM »
Last night I watched FM. The record has always been a fave of mine but I never saw the movie until now. Fun. Martin Mull has always been so funny.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #587 on: February 02, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »
later this month (Wed 2/28 ) the Roxie will be showing as part of the Noise Pop Festival, 2 music docus I'm dying to see:

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And why is everybody talkin' at him?)

Starring Harry Nilsson, one of the best songwriters of his time, according to peers like Brian Wilson and Randy Newman. Even the Beatles referred to him as their favorite "group" although he never, ever performed live. Memorable hits he sang include "Everybody's Talkin'" from the film Midnight Cowboy, to the soaring teen-angst anthem "Without You" to the inimitably catchy "Coconut" "You put the lime in the coconut" to "Me and My Arrow" and the theme song "Best Friend" from the hit television show, "The Courtship of Eddie's Father." All-star interviews with Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Yoko Ono, Van Dyke Parks, Jimmy Webb, Bryan Wilson and more describe the man who could drink John Lennon and Keith Moon under the table which contributed to his ultimate demise in 1992. Footage from television and radio shows and Nilsson's oral autobiography allow Harry to tell his own story, in his own words. (117 min., USA). Filmmaker Q&A. Showtime: 7:00 ONLY.

You're Gonna Miss Me (the story of Roky Erickson)

Roky Ericson IN PERSON!

Award-winning documentary by Keven McAlester who says, "I started out thinking I was making One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But I ended up with something more like Being There." Cinematographer Lee Daniel ("Slacker," "Dazed and Confused," "Before Sunset") shoots the story of Austin-ite Roky Erickson, undeniably one of the greatest singer-songwriter, guitar player and harmonica-wailers of all time, and Janis Joplin's chief influencer. The singer and founding member of the 13th Floor Elevators was talented but unpredictable. In 1969 after a marijuana arrest, he entered an insanity plea, and was sent to a mental hospital for three years where he was surrounded by the worst of the worst violent and mentally ill criminals. To the great dismay of his fans, has became a recluse. He calls himself an alien, and "the evil one." Without taking sides, this film follows the courtroom battle for Roky's care between his brother attempting to remove Roky from the clutches of their Bible-thumping mother.

WOW!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #588 on: February 15, 2007, 08:08:33 AM »
Just saw the trailer for Knocked Up, the new comedy from Judd Apatow, writer/director of 40 Year-old Virgin. It doesn't have Steve Carell but it has Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen of Virgin.  Looks pretty funny.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #589 on: February 17, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Well apparently Ghost Rider is pretty freakin' awful.  Best review  quote I've seen, from Peter Hartlaub in the Chon:

"In one scene, Nicolas Cage appears to be wearing Ricardo Montalban's fake chest from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which really should be hanging in the Smithsonian where it belongs."

I'd love to get Beej's take on it -- which reminds, isn't Beejmas right around the corner?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Beejmas
« Reply #590 on: February 17, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Well apparently Ghost Rider is pretty freakin' awful.  Best review  quote I've seen, from Peter Hartlaub in the Chon:

"In one scene, Nicolas Cage appears to be wearing Ricardo Montalban's fake chest from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which really should be hanging in the Smithsonian where it belongs."

I'd love to get Beej's take on it -- which reminds, isn't Beejmas right around the corner?

I happened to see him online, so I sent him a link to this post.
Quote from: "beej"
aw! Beejmas has come & past (jan 23rd)- but the feeling goes on.

I was away from my puter whilst I was downloading something. I'm actually signing off now. I haven't seen 'Ghost Rider' yet- but Nic cage is a Cheese Prince if ever there be!

Give my regards to the club, bub! Thanks for the zap!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #591 on: February 21, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »
came across this on another message board:

"Speaking of the Jeffersons, when the hell are they going to get around to remaking it into a movie with Cedric the Entertainer as George and Queen Latifah as Weezy?"

Now THAT I'd pay to see!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #592 on: February 21, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »
came across this on another message board:

"Speaking of the Jeffersons, when the hell are they going to get around to remaking it into a movie with Cedric the Entertainer as George and Queen Latifah as Weezy?"

Now THAT I'd pay to see!

Not with that casting.  You know Eddie Murphy would slap a bitch for that role.  And I'm pulling for Tyler Perry as Weezy.  (My fear, though, is that it would go to either Star Jones or Fantasia.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #593 on: February 22, 2007, 12:21:10 AM »
Just watched Little Miss Sunshine. Don't have a real strong feeling about it. At one point wanted to stop watching but then there was some humor.
Waiting in the wings for Friday is The Devil Wears Prada. Takes me a while to get to movies.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Little Miss Sunshine
« Reply #594 on: February 22, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »
it's been sitting in the Netflix sleeve for over a month now.  Should I watch it?  Lately, we've been watching more DVD/TV show sets we got for xmas.  I'm currently hooked on Grey's Anatomy, and my daughter (who subscribes to it on iTunes) feeds me three episodes at a time on my USB drive so I can watch an episode at night, instead of doing my schoolwork.
Quote from: "Alicat"
Just watched Little Miss Sunshine. Don't have a real strong feeling about it. At one point wanted to stop watching but then there was some humor.
Waiting in the wings for Friday is The Devil Wears Prada. Takes me a while to get to movies.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #595 on: February 27, 2007, 08:42:29 AM »
hey, even Oscar winners gotta eat:

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Little Miss Sunshine
« Reply #596 on: February 27, 2007, 08:56:41 AM »
finally watched it.  It was fun.
Quote from: "ggould"
it's been sitting in the Netflix sleeve for over a month now.  Should I watch it?  Lately, we've been watching more DVD/TV show sets we got for xmas.  I'm currently hooked on Grey's Anatomy, and my daughter (who subscribes to it on iTunes) feeds me three episodes at a time on my USB drive so I can watch an episode at night, instead of doing my schoolwork.
Quote from: "Alicat"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #597 on: March 01, 2007, 08:04:15 AM »
Last night I saw the docu Who is Harry Nilsson... and Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him? at the Roxie (part of the NoisePop fest).

It was just wonderful, lots of rare clips (Harry on the BBC, Harry on Playboy After Dark!) and quite an array of talking heads, everyone from Van Dyke Parks to Yoko Ono.  Really nicely put together; directed by the same guy who did the recent John Lennon docu (which would explain the presence of Yoko here I guess).  There are even clips from the infamous Son of Dracula with Harry and Ringo ("one of the worst movies ever made" someone says).  Not available on DVD yet, but keep an eye out.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #598 on: March 01, 2007, 02:38:32 PM »
Last night I saw the docu Who is Harry Nilsson... and Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him? at the Roxie (part of the NoisePop fest).

It was just wonderful, lots of rare clips (Harry on the BBC, Harry on Playboy After Dark!) and quite an array of talking heads, everyone from Van Dyke Parks to Yoko Ono.  Really nicely put together; directed by the same guy who did the recent John Lennon docu (which would explain the presence of Yoko here I guess).  There are even clips from the infamous Son of Dracula with Harry and Ringo ("one of the worst movies ever made" someone says).  Not available on DVD yet, but keep an eye out.

I'll add it to my list of things to look for at Le Video. I'm sure it's a great viewing.

Btw, a couple of weeks ago we rented the documentaries on the Minutemen (We Jam Econo) and Mission of Burma (Not a Photograph: the Mission of Burma Story).  Both really good, and worth seeing if you were at all into music in the early and mid 80s. The Burma doc was particularly interesting to me, as the fellow who replaced original Burma sound tech/tape loop operator Martin Swope is a friend of ours. It was weird seeing Bob up on the screen, but only for awhile. And he's perfect for the gig, so more power to him.

And the Minutemen doc was cool too. They interviewed loads of people from the LA alternative scene. Most of them are still musicians, and look like they're just eking out an existence, nothing too ostentatious. Then they got to talking to Flea, who was obviously sitting in his living room, with nice drapes and art on the walls and a grand piano in the background. Lots of footage with Mike Watt, who is still living the hardcore life of a musician on the road.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #599 on: March 02, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
After work I saw Zodiac -- wow.  It's just terrific.  Superb recreation of time & place, namely SF in the '70s.  Spectacular cast led by Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo & Jake Gyllenhaal, with great supporting turns throughout (Brian Cox as Melvin Belli!).  It's long (2:40) but I was totally absorbed . HIGHLY recommended.  You'll never hear "Hurdy Gurdy Man" the same way again.

Oh and  (of course) Mick LaSalle once again proves himself an idiot: "as drama, there's something strangely flat and enervating about the picture." Huh?  He is truly insane.