Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514574 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #540 on: November 01, 2006, 08:37:19 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
am i getting old? i just realised hayden christiansen and topher grace are two different boys. i was reading hayden's bio on wiki and trying to figure out why it didn't mention that awful movie he did with dennis quaid.

that was a great movie! (In Good Company)  Plus it had Scarlett Jo.

yeah, well i'm sick of scarlett jo and her lackadaisical acting. i liked dennis in the movie, but that was it.

Scarlett didn't have hardly anythign to say in that movie, but Topher & Dennis were really good (despite what Topher said in Ocean's 12).  Did you ever see him in Traffic?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #541 on: November 01, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
am i getting old? i just realised hayden christiansen and topher grace are two different boys. i was reading hayden's bio on wiki and trying to figure out why it didn't mention that awful movie he did with dennis quaid.

yeah, well i'm sick of scarlett jo and her lackadaisical acting. i liked dennis in the movie, but that was it.

Scarlett didn't have hardly anythign to say in that movie, but Topher & Dennis were really good (despite what Topher said in Ocean's 12).  Did you ever see him in Traffic?

Topher has more acting talent in his little finger than Ashton Kutcher has in his whole body.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #542 on: November 01, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »
Topher has more acting talent in his little finger than Ashton Kutcher has in his whole body.

Ashton is not Topher's equal in my book, either, but he gets a bad rap because of Demi & Punk'd & residual typecasting from his Kelso character.  I saw him in Butterfly Effect, very much a B-movie, but he has some chops.  I predict that one of these days he's gonna do something of quality that gets people's attention and winds up with a career path similar to that of Demi's first husband.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #543 on: November 01, 2006, 08:55:33 AM »

yes, but what of hayden christiansen?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #544 on: November 01, 2006, 08:59:13 AM »

I tend to confuse him with Ryan Philippe :wink:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #545 on: November 01, 2006, 09:01:49 AM »

I tend to confuse him with Ryan Philippe :wink:

who i always confuse with jude law!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #546 on: November 08, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »
I just saw Borat -- it is just freakin' HILARIOUS!

"High five!"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2006, 07:43:57 AM »
i saw the queen. i fell asleep. the characters were spot on - with the exception of charles. i didn't know hottiepants jimmy cromwell was in it! sigh. i still fell asleep, though. i'm having a hard time seeing "oscar" for mirren, but she. was. fabulous. she was supposed to put me to sleep. waaaay too hollywood, though. would have been better as dry, british humour.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »
i saw the queen. i fell asleep. the characters were spot on - with the exception of charles. i didn't know hottiepants jimmy cromwell was in it! sigh. i still fell asleep, though. i'm having a hard time seeing "oscar" for mirren, but she. was. fabulous. she was supposed to put me to sleep. waaaay too hollywood, though. would have been better as dry, british humour.

wow, that's the first negative review I've seen anywhere. Seriously.  Mirren is considered the Oscar front-runner at the moment, no one else is even close, tho' no one has seen The Dench in Notes on a Scandal yet.  The point, I think, is that you start out hating E-2 and end up feeling a bit sorry for her.  Even Tony Blair realizes there's a human being beneath the facade. I thought it WAS dryly, humorously British. And Michael Sheen as Blair -- damn, he was amazing, IMHO.  

"hottiepants jimmy cromwell"? girlfriend, y'all need help.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2006, 08:23:58 AM »
nice piece in the LA Time about Cate Blanchett:

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-ca-cate5nov05,0,2829258.story?coll=cl-movies-features

she's doing an Elizabeth sequel with Clive Owen as Sir Walter Raleigh! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrowr!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #550 on: November 09, 2006, 10:23:57 AM »

wow, that's the first negative review I've seen anywhere. Seriously.  Mirren is considered the Oscar front-runner at the moment, no one else is even close, tho' no one has seen The Dench in Notes on a Scandal yet.  The point, I think, is that you start out hating E-2 and end up feeling a bit sorry for her.  Even Tony Blair realizes there's a human being beneath the facade. I thought it WAS dryly, humorously British. And Michael Sheen as Blair -- damn, he was amazing, IMHO.  

"hottiepants jimmy cromwell"? girlfriend, y'all need help.

but, see, we don't need mirren to make us sympathize with the queen. the queen does a good job of that, herself. michael sheen was great as blair, especially since we've almost forgotten how love and exciting he used to be. but, all in all, too gushy and predictable, even considering its historical basis.

what's wrong with jimmy cromwell? "that'll do, pig."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #551 on: November 15, 2006, 04:42:32 PM »
just saw wim wender's don't come knockin' with sam shepard and jessica lange. sort of a tamer, more canadian version of broken flowers.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #552 on: November 15, 2006, 06:50:08 PM »
Highly recommend the Dixie Chicks doc, Shut Up and Sing.  Best scene: Natalie Maines is watching TV footage of George Bush responding insipidly to the Chicks boycott.  She yells to the TV, "He's a dumbshit," and then immediately turns to look straight at the camera and address him directly, "You're a dumbshit."  I LOLed.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #553 on: November 15, 2006, 10:36:32 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Highly recommend the Dixie Chicks doc, Shut Up and Sing.  Best scene: Natalie Maines is watching TV footage of George Bush responding insipidly to the Chicks boycott.  She yells to the TV, "He's a dumbshit," and then immediately turns to look straight at the camera and address him directly, "You're a dumbshit."  I LOLed.

It finally opens in SF this weekend. On my "must see" list!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #554 on: November 22, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »
Casting coup of the month: Meat Loaf plays Jack Black's father (in flashbacks) in the "Tenacious D" movie.