Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514578 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #525 on: October 06, 2006, 04:42:30 PM »
Just saw The Departed.

Scorsese is at the top of his game, 150 minutes just flies by.  And a script with lots of twists & turns, right up to the last shot of the last scene.

3 words: go see it!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #526 on: October 06, 2006, 10:44:54 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Just saw The Departed.

Scorsese is at the top of his game, 150 minutes just flies by.  And a script with lots of twists & turns, right up to the last shot of the last scene.

3 words: go see it!

3 more: Oh my yes.  Just came from seeing it. Most entertaining. Howcum Marky Mark's Boston accent is better than Matt Damon's?

mshray: did you see the original Hong Kong film it's a remake of, Infernal Affairs?  Check it out sometime, it's only an hour & 40 minutes.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #527 on: October 12, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #528 on: October 16, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »
Among the comments on hollywood-elsewhere.com regarding the big-screen version of Dallas with Travolta as J.R. (which is apparently being delayed indefinitely):

"what's next? Pink Lady & Jeff: The Movie!, starring Ben Affleck, Gong Li and Lucy Liu?"  ROTFL!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #529 on: October 16, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »
Just came from seeing Infamous, the OTHER Capote-writes-In Cold Blood movie. And it's actually really good -- too bad it will be seen by far fewer people (it was made at the same time and then Warner Bros shelved it for a year).  It's less solemn than Capote, Toby Jones, the Brit who plays TC (and looks a lot more like him than PSH) is pretty amazing. It's a lot, um, gayer than Capote, there's a lot more of him dishing the dirt with his society-dame friends, which makes it very entertaining. And Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee -- wow!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #530 on: October 17, 2006, 09:15:03 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
And Sandra Bullock as Harper Lee -- wow!

I saw the trailer for this when I was going to see The Illusionist, and I thought it looked really interesting.  And much like Valmont vs. Dangerous Liaisons, some of the casting looked like an upgrade over the first film.  But I figured the one thing that would be tough to get over would be the comparison between Sandra Bullock & Catherine Keener.  So you're saying Bullock pulls it off?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #531 on: October 17, 2006, 09:33:15 AM »

I saw the trailer for this when I was going to see The Illusionist, and I thought it looked really interesting.  And much like Valmont vs. Dangerous Liaisons, some of the casting looked like an upgrade over the first film.  But I figured the one thing that would be tough to get over would be the comparison between Sandra Bullock & Catherine Keener.  So you're saying Bullock pulls it off?

She's really good.  As Richard Roeper said over the weekend, she does so much Miss Congeniality 7 sorta crap most of the time that you forget she can actually act.

I'd never seen Toby Jones before, but I just saw him in a trailer for some white-Brits-in-Africa period piece with Edward Norton and Naomi Watts.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #532 on: October 18, 2006, 02:27:58 PM »

She's really good.  As Richard Roeper said over the weekend, she does so much Miss Congeniality 7 sorta crap most of the time that you forget she can actually act.

I'd never seen Toby Jones before, but I just saw him in a trailer for some white-Brits-in-Africa period piece with Edward Norton and Naomi Watts.

i would offer up a "gag me with a spoon" remark here, but i remember bullock's performance in crash, so i won't. but better than keener? surely not as sexy...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #533 on: October 22, 2006, 10:36:22 AM »
i saw children of men on friday. wow!!! go see it! excellent casting, great story. i was on the edge of my seat the entire time. michael caine is great!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #534 on: October 22, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i saw children of men on friday. wow!!! go see it! excellent casting, great story. i was on the edge of my seat the entire time. michael caine is great!

Oh you lucky Europeans... it doesn't open in the US until December. But the trailer looks fab.  Clive Owen, Julianne Moore and the Caine? I'm so totally there!

Saw the Caine in The Prestige on Friday (Christian Bale, Huge Jack-man, dueling magicians). I liked it though I wouldn't call it great or anything. And yesterday it was the Clint's Flags of Our Fathers. Also good if a bit repetitious. And tomorrow: The Mirren as The Queen.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #535 on: October 22, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

Oh you lucky Europeans... it doesn't open in the US until December. But the trailer looks fab.  Clive Owen, Julianne Moore and the Caine? I'm so totally there!

Saw the Caine in The Prestige on Friday (Christian Bale, Huge Jack-man, dueling magicians). I liked it though I wouldn't call it great or anything. And yesterday it was the Clint's Flags of Our Fathers. Also good if a bit repetitious. And tomorrow: The Mirren as The Queen.

so that's why i haven't heard any news from you guys about it! well, if it's any consolation, we haven't yet received mirren as queen.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #536 on: October 23, 2006, 10:07:48 PM »
Well, I just came from seeing The Magnificent Mirren in The Queen. And -- no surprise, really -- she's amazing. Give her the Oscar right now.

But the guy who plays Tony Blair -- holy shit, does he totally NAIL it! I'll be shocked if he's not nominated as well.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #537 on: November 01, 2006, 03:09:54 AM »
am i getting old? i just realised hayden christiansen and topher grace are two different boys. i was reading hayden's bio on wiki and trying to figure out why it didn't mention that awful movie he did with dennis quaid.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #538 on: November 01, 2006, 07:29:04 AM »
am i getting old? i just realised hayden christiansen and topher grace are two different boys. i was reading hayden's bio on wiki and trying to figure out why it didn't mention that awful movie he did with dennis quaid.

that was a great movie! (In Good Company)  Plus it had Scarlett Jo.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #539 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:10 AM »

that was a great movie! (In Good Company)  Plus it had Scarlett Jo.

yeah, well i'm sick of scarlett jo and her lackadaisical acting. i liked dennis in the movie, but that was it.