Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514058 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Brokeback Piano
« Reply #465 on: July 25, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "urth"
Nicolas Cage is....Liberace?!?

http://www.cinematical.com/2006/07/25/nicolas-cage-as-liberace/

no!no!no!no!no!no!no!no!

god, no!

liberace is (after freddie) my favorite queen. and one of my favorite pianists. and a downright awesome performer. and, oh, i should be using the past tense. anyhoo, i don't want nicolas cage to jerry lee the shit out of him!

5 or 6 years ago, Robin Williams was supposed to play him but I guess that fell thru.  Now if it were Philip Seymour Hoffman...

now, you're talking.

BTW, in light of your "Brokeback Piano" comment: Jake Gyllenhaal is apprently going to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic.  No word on whether Sheryl Crow will play herself.  Suggested title: Brokeback MountainBike

did you make that up?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 25, 2006, 01:31:19 PM »

no!no!no!no!no!no!no!no!

god, no!

liberace is (after freddie) my favorite queen. and one of my favorite pianists. and a downright awesome performer. and, oh, i should be using the past tense. anyhoo, i don't want nicolas cage to jerry lee the shit out of him!

5 or 6 years ago, Robin Williams was supposed to play him but I guess that fell thru.  Now if it were Philip Seymour Hoffman...

now, you're talking.

BTW, in light of your "Brokeback Piano" comment: Jake Gyllenhaal is apprently going to play Lance Armstrong in a biopic.  No word on whether Sheryl Crow will play herself.  Suggested title: Brokeback MountainBike

did you make that up?

actually, it was suggested on hollywood-elsewhere, along with Brokeballs Mountain.  But the movie itself is for real; Sony is developing it.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 25, 2006, 09:38:21 PM »

Here's another version of the story featuring a cool PhotoShopped Cage's-head-on-Liberace's-body pic.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/24/brokeback-piano-nicolas-cage-to-play-liberace/

The guy from hollywood-elsewhere seems to think this is great casting, but he's not too keen on the screenwriters, whose main claim-to-fame is Scary Movie :roll:  One comment I saw said "What's next? 'The Waylon Flowers and Madame Story'"?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
well, after a few lean weekends, there's actually a couple flicks I plan to see in the next 2-3 days.

Tonite it's Scoop, the new Woody. I have no expectations, the reviews are generally not good (so of course Mick LaSalle sez it's fall-on-the-floor-funny), and that trailer just looked horrible IMHO. But hey, Scarlet Jo gets nekkid with Huge JackMan, and those are 2 bodies that make it worth 8 or 10 bucks for me.

Also: Miami Vice, only because it's Michael Mann, and that Helen Mirren/Cuba Gooding campfest Shadowboxer which sounds like a (unintentional) hoot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2006, 11:24:31 AM »
Sam Jackson sez: "Come Fly With Me (and My Snakes)":

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2006/07/sinatra_snakes.php

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
pf cover
« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2006, 02:00:08 PM »
Can't figure out who's doing that cover version of Floyd's "Comfortably Numb", tho'...

Sounds like Van Morrison.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2006, 02:01:18 PM »
check out this trailer for Scorsese's The Departed. DAMN!

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/mf/frame?theme=minfo&lid=qtv-100-p.1451526-169450,qtv-300-p.1451527-169450,qtv-700-p.1451528-169450,wmv-56-p.1451529-169450,wmv-100-p.1451530-169450,wmv-300-p.1451531-169450,wmv-700-p.1451532-169450,qtv-56-p.1451525-169450,qtv-28-p.1451525-169450,wmv-28-p.1451529-169450&id=1808745378&f=1808745378&mspid=1809733336&type=t

it's a remake of a very good Hong Kong film called Infernal Affairs. Can't figure out who's doing that cover version of Floyd's "Comfortably Numb", tho'...

The hell with the trailer--that's the longest goddamn URL I've ever seen.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2006, 02:04:44 PM »
The hell with the trailer--that's the longest goddamn URL I've ever seen.

Indeed.  For purposes of board formatting, I'd urge that long URLs be replaced with text: instead of {url}http://long-ass-address{/url}, use {url=http://long-ass-address}INSERT DESCRIPTIVE TEXT{/url}.

I'd also urge for the posting of Hugh Jackman pics from the new Woody, but that's just my obsession du jour . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2006, 03:06:14 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This could have gone in a few different threads.  Summoning the Princess for on-the-record response!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204910,00.html

You, Me and Steely Dan

Is the new comedy “You, Me and Dupree” ripped from the lyrics of Steely Dan’s song, “Cousin Dupree”?

Apparently Owen Wilson, tongue planted firmly in cheeck, has responded.

In a statement released by his spokeswoman, Wilson said: ''I have never heard the song `Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, `HEY 19.'''

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2006, 03:33:17 PM »
well, after a few lean weekends, there's actually a couple flicks I plan to see in the next 2-3 days.

Tonite it's Scoop, the new Woody. I have no expectations, the reviews are generally not good (so of course Mick LaSalle sez it's fall-on-the-floor-funny), and that trailer just looked horrible IMHO. But hey, Scarlet Jo gets nekkid with Huge JackMan, and those are 2 bodies that make it worth 8 or 10 bucks for me.

I forsook the KRSH Soul Patrol for a long-lunch matinee of Scoop.  Haven't checked the KRSH thread to see if it was really worth it, but Mike & any other self-described Woody Allen fans, you'll definitely like the flick.  Similar in style to Curse of the Jade Scorpion, but a lot funnier without resorting to slapstick and without any 'cringe' moments (Woody 'plays' Scarlett's dad, not lover).  Not quite to the level of Bullets Over Broadway, more like a refreshing afternoon tea than a great 4 course meal.  What I found myself enjoying the most is that Woody really gets to trot out his old stand-up persona, and he hasn't done that in a loooooong time.  For the most part he's light-hearted & quite funny, but even when he isn't, as a fan I could forgive him the swing-and-a-miss.  I also found myself enjoying the film on a whole separate level, because it is clearly a bookend with Match Point.

Scarlett proves that she has excellent comedic chops (at times anyway) & isn't afraid to not take herself seriously.  But her performance is rather uneven, even considering that she plays sort of a dual role and half the time is supposed to come across as a college girl trying to be an actress.  Unfortunately Hugh Jackman is woefully underused.  Then again, since the whole plot revolves around the viewer (along with Scarlett's & Woody's characters) not being sure what his character is really up to, Woody the writer/director can say that it was deliberate.  Still, it has to be a shame to think that a pretty damn good actor got to use more of his craft as a superhero in a film with the number III appended to it than he did as the leading man in a Film by Woody Allen.  Lastly, Scarlett & Hugh meet in a pool, and although they do become lovers (as the trailer indicates), if you're looking for a skin-thrill you'd better get it while they're both in their swimsuits.  Not that Scarlett looks anything less than outstanding in a bright red speedo, but you see less of her in the bedroom.  Likewise for Hugh.  But then again I only paid $6.75 at the Shoreline 16.  For 8 or 10 bucks I might have felt ripped off on that account.

A solid 3 to 3 1/2 stars for me, not quite the wattage in the star performances as The Devil Wears Prada, but not as deeply flawed either.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
This could have gone in a few different threads.  Summoning the Princess for on-the-record response!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,204910,00.html

You, Me and Steely Dan

Is the new comedy “You, Me and Dupree” ripped from the lyrics of Steely Dan’s song, “Cousin Dupree”?

Apparently Owen Wilson, tongue planted firmly in cheeck, has responded.

In a statement released by his spokeswoman, Wilson said: ''I have never heard the song `Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, `HEY 19.'''

I begin to like Owen more & more.  That's perfect.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2006, 04:03:57 PM »
he heh. Good one.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I forsook the KRSH Soul Patrol for a long-lunch matinee of Scoop.  Haven't checked the KRSH thread to see if it was really worth it, but Mike & any other self-described Woody Allen fans, you'll definitely like the flick.  

Well... I wouldn't say it was a chore to sit thru but I thought it was very VERY minor Woody.  "And I say that with all due respect." :wink:

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #479 on: August 03, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »