Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 513696 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2006, 10:25:01 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i'm going to the 2pm sunday matinee of this. anyone care to join?

March 11–12, 2006
ED WOOD FILM FESTIVAL
Featuring Plan 9 From Outer Space NEWLY RESTORED—AND NOW IN COLOR!
Starring Bela Lugosi, Vampira, Tor Johnson and Dudley Manlove.
Sa: 7p WORLD COLOR PREMIERE Su: 2p, 4p, 6p, 8p

Come to the Castro for the biggest movie event of the year—the World Color Premiere of director Ed Wood’s utterly preposterous 1959 masterpiece of poorly executed film-making—PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. The most extensive restoration to date and in color for the first time, Ed Wood’s unintentionally hilarious cult classic of aliens who attempt to conquer Earth by reanimating the dead has been hailed as the “worst movie ever made.” With string-powered flying saucers, laughable dialogue, shrewd alien logic and “priceless” special effects, the aliens’ invasion plan can’t go wrong. (Hint: It does.)

In addition to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, the film festival also includes never-before-seen Ed Wood home movies (see Ed model his famous angora sweater and fishnet stockings!), rare Ed Wood commercials and Plans 1-8, narrated by Mystery Science Theater 3000’s Mike Nelson, and much more.

"in color for the first time"? meaning, colorized with computers, Ted Turner style?  Or did they find a lost color version in the vault?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2006, 12:23:04 PM »
BTW, princess (and anyone else): have you seen the commercials for Inside Man, the new Spike Lee thriller starring Denzel and Jodie F.?  Woo Hoo!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
BTW, princess (and anyone else): have you seen the commercials for Inside Man, the new Spike Lee thriller starring Denzel and Jodie F.?  Woo Hoo!

yes. yes. woof!!! i wonder when it opens?????

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2006, 10:35:26 PM »

Friday March 24th. Spike has made some of his best recent movies when he's left the writing (or at least the source material) to someone else. (See: Clockers, 25th Hour.) So I'm psyched for this one.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
So I'm sitting here gearing up for the return of The Sopranos and I catch the last half-hour of Chronicles of Riddick on HBO. The Diesel and the Dench together at last!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2006, 09:52:40 AM »
So I'm sitting here gearing up for the return of The Sopranos and I catch the last half-hour of Chronicles of Riddick on HBO. The Diesel and the Dench together at last!

a match made in heaven, i'm sure. someday my dench will come!

i recently watched a great norwegian film entitled, "elling." a must-see!! two thumbs up - way up! would be a great double-bill with "kitchen stories" (also norwegian).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »
Natalie Portman IS Sinead O'Connnor!

Oh, wait, it's that V for Vendetta movie, not a Sinead biopic. Or maybe a remake of GI Jane...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2006, 07:44:48 AM »

Friday March 24th. Spike has made some of his best recent movies when he's left the writing (or at least the source material) to someone else. (See: Clockers, 25th Hour.) So I'm psyched for this one.

an early rave:

http://emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=1818

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
do you see the similarity?
« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:10 PM »
it's that V for Vendetta movie, not a Sinead biopic. Or maybe a remake of GI Jane...

The guy with the mask makes me think of Hexadecimal from Reboot:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »
recent watches:

i heart huckabees - a bit difficult because of the whiny mr. schwartzman (i almost retched during the doggie-style with huppert scene), but natural-born comedians tomlin, hoffman, and wahlberg make the film bearable.

heaven - ribisi and blanchett in a so-so love/action film. but they are both  such great chameleons - you never know who they're going to be onscreen (and in ribisi's case, sometimes, you can't even tell it's him!). plus they both speak italian. hot!

bubble - soderbergh as solonz as soderbergh. brevity is beautiful.

the man with the golden arm - kim novak, what a beaut with a penchant for helping addicts. watch as sinatra suffers the shortest heroin withdrawal known to man! if you rent the dvd version, be certain to watch the trailers - hilarious!

good night and good luck - beautifully shot and recorded. gosh, those voices were so silky!! editing, so-so. story, interesting. flow, not so good. but superb acting, to be sure.

a history of violence - william hurt as a gangster. who doesn't want that? hot sex scenes with viggo and maria bello (should be, "bella!"). the title of the film is key to the understanding of the film.

in cold blood - too long. but quite a chilling tale (for the time) based on the capote novel. robert blake stars as an investigator. best prophetic line from one of the villains mentions something about millionaires never having to hang for their crimes.

glengarry glen ross - what do i need to say? poor shelly.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2006, 10:16:54 AM »
recent watches:

i heart huckabees - a bit difficult because of the whiny mr. schwartzman (i almost retched during the doggie-style with huppert scene), but natural-born comedians tomlin, hoffman, and wahlberg make the film bearable.

Marky Mark is by far the best thing in that film, which I found a complete mess.  He's got a gift for comedy -- sign him up for that long-gestating film of Dreyfuss Affair, about the 2 ballplayers who fall in love.  Maybe Dennis Haysbert for the other guy? Mmmmm... I think I have to go now...

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2006, 10:26:40 AM »
recent watches:

Marky Mark is by far the best thing in that film, which I found a complete mess.  He's got a gift for comedy -- sign him up for that long-gestating film of Dreyfuss Affair, about the 2 ballplayers who fall in love.  Maybe Dennis Haysbert for the other guy? Mmmmm... I think I have to go now...

lawdy, miss clawdy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
Putting (bigger) fannies in the seats? From one of my fave movie-biz websites, hollywood-elsewhere.com:

MCN columnist Gary Dretzka's report about bigger theatre seats and implied American obesity levels doesn't just raise intriguing questions -- it could serve as the starting point for a comedy skit. Dretzka wrote from Showest that "representatives of seat manufacturers confirmed [during the festival] that the width of the average chair has expanded from around 18-20 inches, to 22-24 inches. Since volume is important to exhibitors, it's logical to think that this adjustment was made necessary for reasons other than pampering their customers' rear ends." But how did this obviously major business decision (think of the revenue downscalings due to fewer seats per theatre) come to pass? Presumably theatre owners were getting complaints from their tuba-sized customers about the seats being too small, but how many (are there statistics?) and for how long a time? At precisely what point did the Jabba-sizing of America reach red-alert proportions as far as theatre seats were concerned, leaving exhibitors backed against the wall with no choice but to invest and accomodate?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: do you see the similarity?
« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2006, 10:07:19 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
it's that V for Vendetta movie, not a Sinead biopic. Or maybe a remake of GI Jane...

The guy with the mask makes me think of Hexadecimal from Reboot:

V For Vendetta RAWKS!

Saw it. Loved it. SEE IT!  Wow... and again, WOW.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Haggis Halo
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »
I probably have pointed this out before, but just in case, here goes:  Paul Haggis has won the best picture two years in a row, and Paul was one of the main writers on my beloved series, Due South.  Is there a connection?  
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!