Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 513887 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2006, 09:27:32 AM »
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

I got up Saturday morning and started flipping through the channels.  Ended up on "Rudy," on HBO.  Sean Astin seems to be everywhere these days, but that may be because I'm overly influenced by 24 right now.  Anyway, my roommate comes down a while later.  He's never seen "Rudy."

It's great when a movie can make a 54 year old frat boy cry....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2006, 09:44:46 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

I got up Saturday morning and started flipping through the channels.  Ended up on "Rudy," on HBO.  Sean Astin seems to be everywhere these days, but that may be because I'm overly influenced by 24 right now.  Anyway, my roommate comes down a while later.  He's never seen "Rudy."

Ah loves me some Sean Astin.  He's gotta know he's been in both the most homoerotic sports movie ever and the most homoerotic fantasy trilogy ever.  And speaking of, Mark Morford's take on the BBM "snub":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=3&entry_id=3331
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »
i watched network yesterday. how amazing to watch today! what of arabs and u.s ports?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2006, 09:55:02 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i watched network yesterday. how amazing to watch today! what of arabs and u.s ports?

"I want counterculture... I want anti-establishment!" Faye D. ROCKS!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

Ah loves me some Sean Astin.  He's gotta know he's been in both the most homoerotic sports movie ever and the most homoerotic fantasy trilogy ever.  And speaking of, Mark Morford's take on the BBM "snub":

I also landed on 50 First Dates for a while last Saturday (talk about your lost weekends!).  There was Sean Astin again, hilarious as Drew Barrymore's roided up brother.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »
i'm wathcing all the president's men, and it occurs to me: george clooney is the new robert redford!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2006, 02:39:13 PM »
i'm wathcing all the president's men, and it occurs to me: george clooney is the new robert redford!

Oh Me Oh My Yes.

BTW, you're missing Lulu on VIP.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2006, 04:37:55 PM »

Oh Me Oh My Yes.

BTW, you're missing Lulu on VIP.

well, it wasn't so much for looks as for funding of political films. but, sure, he's a lookah, too!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2006, 09:05:35 PM »
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy...

I loved Rudy, but I wouldn't so much call it homoerotic.  That signifier must, of course, go to School Ties, in which a then unknown Brendan Fraser played a Jewish student-athlete at a Catholic prep school with a then unknown Matt Damon and a then unknown Chris O'Donnell as two of his teammates/classmates.

There is a lengthy scene with Brendan, Matt, and Chris in the shower together.  Brendan and Matt fight.  I need say no more.`
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2006, 09:18:23 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I loved Rudy, but I wouldn't so much call it homoerotic.  

Understand that I say this knowing that the real-life Rudy is married with children, but the whole subtext of the movie is: this little guy who wants -- yearns -- to be surrounded by big guys. It's, like, his dream. Hello?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2006, 11:44:56 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I loved Rudy, but I wouldn't so much call it homoerotic.  That signifier must, of course, go to School Ties, in which a then unknown Brendan Fraser played a Jewish student-athlete at a Catholic prep school with a then unknown Matt Damon and a then unknown Chris O'Donnell as two of his teammates/classmates.

There is a lengthy scene with Brendan, Matt, and Chris in the shower together.  Brendan and Matt fight.  I need say no more.`

And don't forget that Ben Affleck's character is named Chesty Smith.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #311 on: March 08, 2006, 07:55:17 PM »
Question about a TV movie. A few months back I saw a TV movie called Knights of the South Bronx. I want a copy of it. As far as I can tell it is only a TV movie. Any suggestions about how I can tell when/where it might play so I can tape it? Are TV movies available anywhere on disc?
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2006, 10:55:01 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Question about a TV movie. A few months back I saw a TV movie called Knights of the South Bronx. I want a copy of it. As far as I can tell it is only a TV movie. Any suggestions about how I can tell when/where it might play so I can tape it? Are TV movies available anywhere on disc?

Per IMDB, it's not available commercially, and there's nothing on tvshowsondvd.com (really--I'm not making that up). I'd check the website of whatever network it was on to see if it's coming up for airing again. Or drop Tim whatsisface from the Chron a note.

Or post something on craigslist to see if you can find someone who did tape it to copy it for you.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #313 on: March 09, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
The REAL reason "Crash" beat BBM...

http://www.nickstarr.com/2006/03/07/oscar-gate/

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
i'm going to the 2pm sunday matinee of this. anyone care to join?

March 11–12, 2006
ED WOOD FILM FESTIVAL
Featuring Plan 9 From Outer Space NEWLY RESTORED—AND NOW IN COLOR!
Starring Bela Lugosi, Vampira, Tor Johnson and Dudley Manlove.
Sa: 7p WORLD COLOR PREMIERE Su: 2p, 4p, 6p, 8p

Come to the Castro for the biggest movie event of the year—the World Color Premiere of director Ed Wood’s utterly preposterous 1959 masterpiece of poorly executed film-making—PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. The most extensive restoration to date and in color for the first time, Ed Wood’s unintentionally hilarious cult classic of aliens who attempt to conquer Earth by reanimating the dead has been hailed as the “worst movie ever made.” With string-powered flying saucers, laughable dialogue, shrewd alien logic and “priceless” special effects, the aliens’ invasion plan can’t go wrong. (Hint: It does.)

In addition to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, the film festival also includes never-before-seen Ed Wood home movies (see Ed model his famous angora sweater and fishnet stockings!), rare Ed Wood commercials and Plans 1-8, narrated by Mystery Science Theater 3000’s Mike Nelson, and much more.