Author Topic: KHUM/CG/etcetcetc for the week of Jan 22  (Read 11297 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KHUM/CG/etcetcetc for the week of Jan 22
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
KBCO is now all Enya all the time--or so you'd think during the 9am hour this morning. I tuned in just in time to hear some Enya tune I'd never heard before (which was followed, blissfully, by Ronnie Wood crooning Ooh La La with the Faces) and now, less than 20 minutes later, we hear Orinoco Flow.

Yeah, they're in the Os now. So it appears this will go on for several more days.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KHUM/CG/etcetcetc for the week of Jan 22
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
KBCO is now all Enya all the time--or so you'd think during the 9am hour this morning. I tuned in just in time to hear some Enya tune I'd never heard before (which was followed, blissfully, by Ronnie Wood crooning Ooh La La with the Faces) and now, less than 20 minutes later, we hear Orinoco Flow.

That's bizarre -- I know "A-to-Z" is about dusting off the little-played CDs in the library, but really, how often does anything other than "Orinoco" show up on ANY Triple-A station anywhere? (And more to the point: why would anyone WANT it to?)

But I'm impressed that they're only up to "O". I hate that "editing A-to-Z so that it conveniently lasts exactly a week" thing that KFOG has pulled on occasion.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
Don't recall if it was Mike or who that mentioned hearing Traffic's psychedelic pop gem Paper Sun recently, but BCO just dropped it on us again--and it seemed to be a longer version than I recall hearing. Great song--def. deserving of more play!

And now we're on to Paperback Writer...

I could easily see them taking the rest of the week with this--just S and T should take about a day apiece. Once they're done with those it should go pretty quickly, if I recall how other A-Zs tend to run.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:48:18 AM »
Don't recall if it was Mike or who that mentioned hearing Traffic's psychedelic pop gem Paper Sun recently, but BCO just dropped it on us again--and it seemed to be a longer version than I recall hearing. Great song--def. deserving of more play!

you might as well stay put, as KPOO's player is not working at all today -- no Judge for me. :cry:

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

you might as well stay put, as KPOO's player is not working at all today -- no Judge for me. :cry:

Not that I don't believe you, but I decided to give KPOO a go anyway, and it came up for me. (Of course, it buffered after about 30 seconds, but it's been fine since then [crossing fingers].
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:29:36 PM »
I decided to give KPOO a go anyway, and it came up for me. (Of course, it buffered after about 30 seconds, but it's been fine since then [crossing fingers].

Well, that's good news!  I'll switch from KCDX as soon as  It's A Beautiful Day's "Girl With No Eyes" finishes -- it's new to me, and quite lovely.

ETA: wait -- one more, Neil Diamond's "I Got the Feelin'".

ETA2: well, you're a lucky man today, urth -- I can't get anything from the KPOO jukebox.  And I tried pasting the url into my browser and got "page not found" :cry:

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
So I stuck with KCDX, and am rewarded with late-period Suzi Quatro,  "If You Can't Give Me Love".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:36:22 PM »
ETA2: well, you're a lucky man today, urth -- I can't get anything from the KPOO jukebox.  And I tried pasting the url into my browser and got "page not found" :cry:

Bummer--perhaps a vestige of the network issues you had earlier this month, or have you been able to tune in KPOO prior to this?

Anyway, glad you were able to find something acceptable to fill in.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »

Bummer--perhaps a vestige of the network issues you had earlier this month, or have you been able to tune in KPOO prior to this?

Yeah, our "issues" were resolved, and I listened to KPOO several times here last week.

But this is odd: The KPOO player now has an empty black box underneath the picture of the old-timey radio.  When I put the cursor over the box, the cursor-info-box says "click to activate and use this control" (this was never there before) and so I clicked and the only thing that happened was the cursor "hand" turned back into an arrow.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »
Mott the Hoople's version of "Sweet Jane", which I haven't heard in ages.  It was actually the preferred version on NYC FM radio back in the day.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:41:05 PM »
OMG! 3DN's "Show Must Go On".  Wonder if they'll re-release Leo Sayer's version (in the UK at least) after his "Big Brother" infamy.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »
KBCO is up to the "R" section -- songs that start with "Rock".  I'm guessing we may get Ginger's 10@10 as early as Thursday (unless maybe they lumped all the "the" songs together).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 11:08:40 AM »
KBCO is up to the "R" section -- songs that start with "Rock".  I'm guessing we may get Ginger's 10@10 as early as Thursday (unless maybe they lumped all the "the" songs together).

They just went from Roxanne to Ruby Tuesday (what, no Rubberband Man?), so I imagine they'll be on to S soon, which I think will probably take the rest of the day, or nearly so.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 01:27:59 PM »

The former would be "Only Time," i.e., "the song that played in the background of way too many news montages in the months after 9/11."  I heard it several times a day then, haven't heard it since.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

The former would be "Only Time," i.e., "the song that played in the background of way too many news montages in the months after 9/11."  I heard it several times a day then, haven't heard it since.

Oh yes -- thank you, I do remember that one.

Meanwhile, I'm VIP-ing today and just heard Charles Wright/Watts 103rd St Rhythm Band, "Loveland", followed by the Chi-lites, "Letter to Myself".