Author Topic: 7 September 2006 - It's 1989  (Read 9047 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
7 September 2006 - It's 1989
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2006, 10:50:59 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Davefish"
I do like Desire.  Can't beat the Bo Diddley Beat!

Me too.  Missed both of this set & Ginger due to phone calls, but they're all to the good as I suddenly have a very hot lead on a new job.

Woo Hoo!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 10:51:51 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Davefish"
I do like Desire.  Can't beat the Bo Diddley Beat!

Me too.  Missed both of this set & Ginger due to phone calls, but they're all to the good as I suddenly have a very hot lead on a new job.

SWEET!!! Go get 'em, bro!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
Post-set comment: I really hate this RHCP "Hey-oh, lissen what I say-oh" song (yes, I know -- it's called "Snow"). Awful lyrics and the whole thing is such a lazy-ass recycling of previous material, I'm amazed this album has actually gotten respectful reviews.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Post-set comment: I really hate this RHCP "Hey-oh, lissen what I say-oh" song (yes, I know -- it's called "Snow"). Awful lyrics and the whole thing is such a lazy-ass recycling of previous material, I'm amazed this album has actually gotten respectful reviews.

That's 'cause the Chili Peppers, that spunky little alterna-funk band from LA with socks on their weenies, have ascended to Respected Elder Statesman status. From here on they could release recordings of them cleaning their bathrooms and get critical props for breaking new ground. See also: Beastie Boys.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 11:17:38 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

That's 'cause the Chili Peppers, that spunky little alterna-funk band from LA with socks on their weenies, have ascended to Respected Elder Statesman status. From here on they could release recordings of them cleaning their bathrooms and get critical props for breaking new ground. See also: Beastie Boys.

LOL! And I SO totally agree on the Beasties.  I never quite understood the adulation -- the first LP was a lot of fun in a bratty, obnoxious sorta way. But I still think that they started out as 3 idiots (or at the very least 3 Middle Class Jewish Boys trying to annoy their parents) doing a (somewhat racist) parody of Run-DMC who started to believe their own press.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 11:20:26 AM »
BOS Jeff Healey Band, "Hideaway".

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »

LOL! And I SO totally agree on the Beasties.  I never quite understood the adulation -- the first LP was a lot of fun in a bratty, obnoxious sorta way. But I still think that they started out as 3 idiots (or at the very least 3 Middle Class Jewish Boys trying to annoy their parents) doing a (somewhat racist) parody of Run-DMC who started to believe their own press.

I was referring particularly to their more recent output--I think Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique are both pretty damn good records. But agreed, I never quite got the level of adulation that they've been accorded.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »

I was referring particularly to their more recent output--I think Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique are both pretty damn good records. But agreed, I never quite got the level of adulation that they've been accorded.

TANC: The A's TV folks used "Intergalactic" for a montage on one of their recent pregame shows.  Made me wonder how many of the BBs fans (or A's fans, for that matter) have ever heard "Planet Rock", the record that "Intergalactic" is an hommage to.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
GD postscript
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 10:00:14 PM »
I may have said this before, but it might bear repeating.  "Just a Little Light" was an excellent song, extremely tight, and pretty intense live.  The guitar tone was an answer to the New Bohemians "What I Am" which was pretty much a lift of earlier Garcia mu-tron guitar stylings (think "Estimated Prophet" or "Shakedown Street.")  Losing Brent was a big blow, especially since this was during a heavy drugged-out Garcia period, and Brent contributed some of the best songs on that last studio album, the ecological "We Can Run" and the tender lullaby "I Will Take You Home."
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!