Author Topic: Pinfield's Playlist  (Read 4935 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Pinfield's Playlist
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »
So they've been doing this bit around 8:30-9:30AM where Matt digs through his "deep musical collection and knowledge and playlists" to make some "amazing" pick relating to the topic of the day.

Let's take a look, eh? (BTW if anybody happens to know what they played on May 10, 11, and 16, I'd appreciate being able to fill this in. I'm looking at my playlist and nothing jumps out at me, all of the songs played during that timeframe seem to be from the main playlist. So *maybe* they were rare enough to not be recognized by TuneGenie? Seems pretty damn unlikely though.)

https://twitter.com/hashtag/pinfieldsplaylist?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash

May 19, 2016 - Joey Ramone's Birthday: "What a Wonderful World"

May 18, 2016 - #SongsAboutGold: "Golden Years" by Bowie

May 17, 2016 - #HallandOates: "I Can't Go For That" (with an overly long intro and then like only 10 seconds of the excellent Nicki Bluhm & The Gramblers Van Sessions cover) (Also, they were giving tickets away to Hall & Oates show at Concord Pavilion)

May 16, 2016 - ?

May 13, 2016 - #Fridaythe13th: "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk (with overly long intro re: the great Nile Rodgers, yes yes, we know)

May 12, 2016 - #BiketoWorkDay: Infamous pick "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen (as opposed to the "obvious" pick of "Bicycle")

May 11, 2016 - Hear a song & a story about something that barely exists anymore. ??
- I'm guessing it's a payphone.

May 10, 2016 - Garage Rock Songs & their Covers: ??
- Was it "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni? Ok, that's weird. Then again, it did follow Jewel's "You Were Meant for Me". Oh, that's probably when they had Jewel on. Weird!

May 9, 2016 - Whistling Songs: "Games Without Frontiers" by Peter Gabriel?
- Yeah, probably this. I believe the pattern is they play the pick early in the morning and then repeat it later. In this case it was spun at ~6:51AM and then later at ~8:45AM. There's a line in this song, "Whistling tunes we piss on the goons in the jungle". So... yeah, ok.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: Pinfield's Playlist
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:23:08 AM »
Found May 11 - Hear a song & a story about something that barely exists anymore: "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
More boringness:

* May 20 - Celebrating #NationalLearntoSwimDay - R.E.M. "Nightswimming"
* May 24 - Did you know it's #NationalAviationTechnicianDay? - Red Hot Chili Peppers "Aeroplane"
* May 26 - celebrating the @SanJoseSharks in the #StanleyCu Finals w/ a song about #Sharks. - ?
* May 27 - Playing a little @AliceInChains on #PinfieldsPlaylist right now. - Alice In Chains "No Excuses" - but why? Oh, Sean Kinney their drummer turned 50 that day. Yawn.
* May 31 - Today, Matt's digging into #Memory banks... - The Smithereens "Only a Memory"
* June 1 - Happy #GlobalRunningDay! Today for #PinfieldsPlaylist, @mattpinfield celebrates the day by digging up a song about running... - Kate Bush "Running Up That Hill" (Ok, I can respect this one)
* June 2 - Celebrating Charlie Watts of the @RollingStones Birthday today in #PinfieldsPlaylist. - Rolling Stones "Waiting On a Friend" (accompanied with mandatory story about how Matt got to interview the Rolling Stones all together for the first ever in New York since the 70s or something, ooh!)
* June 3 - It's #NationalRepeatDay! @mattpinfield celebrates it in #PinfieldsPlaylist w/ @TheKinks & @GreenDay #MorningsOnKFOG It's #NationalRepeatDay! - Huh, I'm guessing they interpreted Repeat as a Cover? Yawn. So they probably played Green Day's cover of The Kinks "Tired of Waiting for You"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
More boringness:

* May 26 - celebrating the @SanJoseSharks in the #StanleyCu Finals w/ a song about #Sharks. - ?

Only thing I can come up with is B.O.C.'s Shooting Shark. Otherwise I got nothin'.

(Oh wait, Dickie Goodman's Mr. Jaws. But what are the chances of that?)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
More boringness:

Only thing I can come up with is B.O.C.'s Shooting Shark. Otherwise I got nothin'.

or Wailing Souls, "Shark Attack" which was a KFOG mainstay when  it was current back in the early '90s.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:04:03 PM »
More boringness:

or Wailing Souls, "Shark Attack" which was a KFOG mainstay when  it was current back in the early '90s.

There is also the Split Enz' "Shark Attack", which is probably too alternative for today's KFOG.