Author Topic: Tues October 25--it's 1980  (Read 16148 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tues October 25--it's 1980
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 10:13:32 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Adlai Stevenson was a force to be reckoned with in 1980?  I thought no one went madly for Adlai after 1957?

Huh?

Did I completely mishear a news clip that I thought was about Adlai?  I'm listening while reading, so maybe I completely missed the mark here.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 10:14:09 AM »
BOS2 "Stop Your Sobbin'".  May have to elevate this above the Straits tune. Best way to meet your dream man: record one of his songs.

I had the EXACT same thought, but couldn't type fast enough to get the Jinx in.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 10:14:17 AM »
Second U2 song in two days. Could this have something to do with their two upcoming shows not being sold out?

I'd expect we'll start hearing more Rolling Stones cuts in a week or two, same reason.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 10:14:22 AM »
BOS2 "Stop Your Sobbin'".  May have to elevate this above the Straits tune. Best way to meet your dream man: record one of his songs.

Worked for Arthur Conley!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 10:17:51 AM »
Yay, Beatle.
Soothing melody
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Tues October 25--it's 1980
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:13 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "urth"
And starting with Tunnel of Love. Wonder if we'll hear anything from The River? And cue the John Lennon clip.

You mean the one of Howard Cosell announcing his murder on MNF?

P.S.  What distinguishes a "murder" from an "assassination"?  Does the latter necessarily imply political office?

I recently read something somewhere discussing this very topic.  Unfortunately, the I read so many things on the web these days that I can't remember for certain where I read it.

Assassination happens to important people (MLK was assasinated, though he didn't hold public office).  Murder happens to average people (almost wrote "average joes" until I realized whom I was replying too).  Random deaths happen to poor people.

Found it -- from Paula, on tribe.net
Death, language and its relationship to class.   Tue, October 18, 2005 - 7:42 AM
I was listening to NPR this morning, or at least half listening and in my random morning fog I heard a report on an assassination attempt on Sadam Hussein. To be frank I'm not sure if it is something current or a discussion on a past attempt, but I thought to myself 'Well he's not a leader anymore so wouldn't it be a murder attempt?'

This got me thinking. An assassination is 'To murder (a prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons.' What makes one prominent? Why is it that a mayor is assassinated, the wife of a lawyer is murdered, and a resident of a housing project might have been killed or may have died from gun shot wounds?

It may be that this rhetorical resident was in fact a major obstacle in the way of some drug dealer because she would call the police when witnessing a deal or she would rally the other residents to begin a neighborhood watch program. To these locals, she might have a greater affect than a foreign leader, yet if the dealer plotted to end her life, she might be reported as having been killed rather than assassinated.

Just a thought.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:23 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
And starting with Tunnel of Love. Wonder if we'll hear anything from The River? And cue the John Lennon clip.

You mean the one of Howard Cosell announcing his murder on MNF?

P.S.  What distinguishes a "murder" from an "assassination"?  Does the latter necessarily imply political office?

I recently read something somewhere discussing this very topic.  Unfortunately, the I read so many things on the web these days that I can't remember for certain where I read it.

Assassination happens to important people (MLK was assasinated, though he didn't hold public office).  Murder happens to average people (almost wrote "average joes" until I realized whom I was replying too).  Random deaths happen to poor people.

It used to be true that you couldn't be assassinated unless an actual assassin (i.e. trained professional) killed you.  But it would have been interesting to see what they would have said if John Hinckley Jr.  had succeeded.  Cuz that boy was nuts.

It would also have been intersting to see what would have happened if we only got as much out of Reagan as we got out of Harding.  Maybe there's a parallel universe where that is true & someday I can go there.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:25 AM »

Worked for Arthur Conley!

ROTFLSHIPMP!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 10:18:30 AM »
Second U2 song in two days. Could this have something to do with their two upcoming shows not being sold out?

I'd expect we'll start hearing more Rolling Stones cuts in a week or two, same reason.

I'd rather hear Metallica.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 10:21:02 AM »
BOS #3 Jeff Beck.  And my top pick so far.

Not a bad set if halfway thru Lennon is the weakest tune/biggest Katrina.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 10:21:12 AM »
a bos for me! is it jeff beck?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 10:21:57 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
It would also have been intersting to see what would have happedened if We only got as much out of Reagan as we got out of Harding.  Maybe there's a parallel universe where that is true & someday I can go there.

Well, we'd've gotten Bush One 8 years sooner. Whether he'd've gotten re-elected in '84, I dunno.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 10:21:58 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

Me three. It is indeed--Star Cycle, I think.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

Yes, from There & Back, which I still have on a cassette I made my freshman year in college in 1980, the flip side of which is Gaucho.  Makes for a great listen on an auto-reverse deck.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 10:24:15 AM »

Little Steven on Sunday nite:

"People laughed when I said 'if the Stones were starting out today, radio wouldn't play them'.  And then a good new Stones album came out and... nobody's playing it."