Author Topic: Mon 10/10/05 Indigenous Peoples Day (actually 1987)  (Read 10097 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Mon 10/10/05 Indigenous Peoples Day (actually 1987)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
BOS New Order. "when I was a very small boy/Michael Jackson played with me..."

Now that we've grown up together, he just plays with Macauley.  Cracks me up that the day I switch out that quote, Dave summons its source.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 10:28:47 AM »
It's a Monday--the chances of a by-the-book set rises exponentially. At least the Crowded House song wasn't DDIO.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 10:32:30 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
It's a Monday--the chances of a by-the-book set rises exponentially. At least the Crowded House song wasn't DDIO.

Hey urth, if you didn't hear Little Steven's show last nite, check it out on his website -- it was a salute to "Nuggets" on the 33rd anniv of its release.

VHM Mr Winwood, "Semen Overspill". From the album Back in the Jai-alai.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 10:33:13 AM »
VHM to Stevie, "Freedom Overspill."  Never would have been a hit had it not followed up a #1 smash, but still a very strong track, diminished only by the fake-horn synths that were all the rage from 1987 through 1991.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »
VHM2 REM, despite its ubiquity. Anyone know the significance (to Stipe or anyone else) of the initials "L.B."?

birthday party cheesecake jellybean boom!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 10:38:52 AM »
Hey urth, if you didn't hear Little Steven's show last nite, check it out on his website -- it was a salute to "Nuggets" on the 33rd anniv of its release.

OOooooh--sounds very cool! I'll jump over there later today!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 10:40:36 AM »
"Just Say No" to Robbie Nevil & Crowded House, Dave...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »

Apparently Dave isn't having the best day either--his YIM status message sez "AAAAACK monday."

Personally, we're having a network outage.  Figures.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 10:42:35 AM »
VHM2 REM, despite its ubiquity. Anyone know the significance (to Stipe or anyone else) of the initials "L.B."?

Ya mean "Lester Bangs"?  I know he was a music writer, but haven't ever read his stuff, and I don't know what his influence was.  Enlighten me?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 10:43:49 AM »

Apparently Dave isn't having the best day either--his YIM status message sez "AAAAACK monday."

Personally, we're having a network outage.  Figures.

He's probably worn out from having to do that Eagles circus pop quiz today.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 10:44:54 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"

Ya mean "Lester Bangs"?  I know he was a music writer, but haven't ever read his stuff, and I don't know what his influence was.  Enlighten me?

Bangs is generally regarded as one of the greatest rock critics ever.  But, "Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce & Lester Bangs..." ??? Stipe is a bit too cryptic for his own good sometimes.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 10:47:45 AM »

Bangs is generally regarded as one of the greatest rock critics ever.  But, "Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce & Lester Bangs..." ??? Stipe is a bit too cryptic for his own good sometimes.

Ahh yes, quite a few LBs.  I get yer question now.  Of course, I know nothing.  Seven Chinese Brothers is playing on RadioParadise right now, speaking of REM.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 01:06:51 PM »

You forgot "Leonard Bernstein".

Bangs was played by Philip Seymour Hoffman in Almost Famous, he was the founding editor of Creem magazine & the mentor of Cameron Crowe.  Among other things he coined the term Heavy Metal (from the Steppenwolf lyric).  For bonus frink points, who was the very first Heavy Metal band?  (according to Lester)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »

OOooooh--sounds very cool! I'll jump over there later today!

Just finished listening thru the show, and you are not wrong, sir. A fabulous tribute to the Nuggets phenomenon, even if he didn't play my personal fave Nugget, A Double Shot of My Baby's Love. And I gotta say, I dug some of the newer, non-Nugget tracks as much as the genuine articles. The songs by the Greenhornes and the Gore Gore Girls were both cool, and I would not have picked the Iggy Pop tune out as being Iggy had I not looked at the playlist. Even the music beds are cool.

One thing I dig about listening to his show via the web is that you're not locked into listening to the ads--just hit the fast-forward button on the player, and you jump to the start of the next program, no muss, fuss or missed programming.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Heavy Metal
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 05:08:39 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
For bonus frink points, who was the very first Heavy Metal band?  (according to Lester)

I'm not sure I liked Lester very much, but I'd vote for Blue Cheer as first heavy metal band, but who knows?  Led Zep, Beatles (Helter Skelter), Hendrix?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!