Author Topic: Mon 10/10/05 Indigenous Peoples Day (actually 1987)  (Read 10096 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Mon 10/10/05 Indigenous Peoples Day (actually 1987)
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 08:17:45 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Hey urth, if you didn't hear Little Steven's show last nite, check it out on his website -- it was a salute to "Nuggets" on the 33rd anniv of its release.

OOooooh--sounds very cool! I'll jump over there later today!

Just finished listening thru the show, and you are not wrong, sir. A fabulous tribute to the Nuggets phenomenon, even if he didn't play my personal fave Nugget, A Double Shot of My Baby's Love. And I gotta say, I dug some of the newer, non-Nugget tracks as much as the genuine articles. The songs by the Greenhornes and the Gore Gore Girls were both cool, and I would not have picked the Iggy Pop tune out as being Iggy had I not looked at the playlist. Even the music beds are cool.

One thing I dig about listening to his show via the web is that you're not locked into listening to the ads--just hit the fast-forward button on the player, and you jump to the start of the next program, no muss, fuss or missed programming.

I had never heard that Dylan song about Lenny Bruce; wasn't paying much attention to Mr Zimmerman in the early '80s. And that "Dancing With Joey Ramone" song by Amy Rigby -- what a wonderful record, exactly the sort of thing KFOG should be playing (but isn't).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »
And that "Dancing With Joey Ramone" song by Amy Rigby -- what a wonderful record, exactly the sort of thing KFOG should be playing (but isn't).

Christgau raved about that song a week or two ago, fwiw.  I haven't heard it myself yet, but I've heard previous of Rigby's work and was impressed (though I can't recall titles).

P.S.  HAHAHA YANKEES GO HOME BOO HOO HAHAHA
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2005, 07:34:42 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
And that "Dancing With Joey Ramone" song by Amy Rigby -- what a wonderful record, exactly the sort of thing KFOG should be playing (but isn't).

Christgau raved about that song a week or two ago, fwiw.  I haven't heard it myself yet, but I've heard previous of Rigby's work and was impressed (though I can't recall titles).

I've heard her song about being involved with a guy who's still close friends with his ex, "The Trouble With Jenny" or something like that.  She's sort of a twangier Dar Williams, at least from those 2 songs.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 09:57:11 AM »
The "Dancing w/Joey Ramone" song is pretty cool. Kinda corny- but in a cool way.
nakes? On my plane?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "mshray"
For bonus frink points, who was the very first Heavy Metal band?  (according to Lester)

I'm not sure I liked Lester very much, but I'd vote for Blue Cheer as first heavy metal band, but who knows?  Led Zep, Beatles (Helter Skelter), Hendrix?

I wanted to go back & make sure that the song list was posted for each day, and realized that I'd forgotten to give Geoff props for his correct answer here.  It is indeed Blue Cheer.

10/10/05 - Monday....  A great visit to...1987!!!

Fabulous Thunderbirds - Stand Back
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up (B-O-S!!)
George Michael - Faith
Robbie Nevil - C'est La Vie
Crowded House - Something So Strong
U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
New Order - True Faith
Steve Winwood - Freedom Overspill
REM - It's the End of the World as We Know it
Bodeans - Dreams
BONUS TRACK:  Jon Astley - Jane's Getting Serious
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 09:46:13 PM »
[I wanted to go back & make sure that the song list was posted for each day, and realized that I'd forgotten to give Geoff props for his correct answer here.  It is indeed Blue Cheer.

Gee, Mark -- slow day at work, eh? :wink:

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 09:49:11 PM »
[I wanted to go back & make sure that the song list was posted for each day, and realized that I'd forgotten to give Geoff props for his correct answer here.  It is indeed Blue Cheer.
Gee, Mark -- slow day at work, eh? :wink:

Imagine my surprise at being right!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!