Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228699 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
WGN America is looking to give Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest etc etc a run for their money on New Year's (Rockin') Eve by presenting "At Daryl's House" this NYE -- that's Daryl Hall. And (presumably) friends.

OK, this Daryl Hall thing airs at 8pm Pacific on WGN -- it's a 2-hour compilation of clips from his web show.  Check out this stunning rendition of "Wait For Me" (one of my fave H&O songs) by Todd Rungren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3zXffWI6QQ&feature=share

Marvelous!  Perfect melding of the two.

AAACK! on the TV version, we were subjected to Train doing "Wait For Me" -- I want to punch Pat Monahan square in his untrimmed chest.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
Watching the Bette Midler HBO special. Basically a greatest-hits package, but nice to see she still does stuff like John Prine's "Hello in There", a fave of mine and (sadly) still relevant, lyrically.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »
Just catching up on some old threads here...but did anyone else happen to catch the Kennedy Center Honors on CBS a couple weeks ago?  

We tuned in midway, but caught the tributes to Jerry Herman* ("Hello, Dolly!", "Mame," and "La Cage aux Folles", etc. Broadway), Merle Haggard, and Sir Paul.  Oprah Winfrey was also honored but we didn't catch her tribute.  But up in the balcony box for all the honorees, Sir Paul was bracketed by Oprah on hi sright & Michelle Obama to his left (with the Prez on the other side of her...and Colin Powell on the other side of him).  Oprah & Michelle were enthusiastic singer-alongers, Macca pretty much (even to the Haggard tunes!) & Barack...less so.

*did anyone besides me start watching the USA Network show "White Collar" last year?  This update of "It Takes A Thief" comes highly recommended from the Mshray household for TV escapism.  All the major characters are fully 3D, much better than average writing (with some obscure humor if you're paying attention**), compelling ongoing backstory & fun capers to solve each week.  The main character, a perfectly updated Robert Wagner, is played by a way-too-good-looking-and-charming metrosexual actor named Matthew Bomer, whom I'd never heard of before.  So imagine our collective surprise when he came out to sing a romantic duet in tribute to the guy who wrote the songs for Hello Dolly?

**final plug for "White Collar".  One of the nice things about the show is that there's very little violence.  But one time when the bad guy escaped by knocking down the very metro-Matthew Bomer, he later told his FBI counterpart, "I swept the leg!"  Another time he calls the FBI guy 'Sherlock' in passing, and the next chance he gets the FBI guy says, "After you, Moriarity."

Good Stuff
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:49:20 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:49 PM »
The main character, a perfectly updated Robert Wagner, is played by a way-too-good-looking-and-charming metrosexual actor named Matthew Bomer...

known to gay guys as Matthew BONER, after he was outed on the internets last year  ;)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
The main character, a perfectly updated Robert Wagner, is played by a way-too-good-looking-and-charming metrosexual actor named Matthew Bomer...

known to gay guys as Matthew BONER, after he was outed on the internets last year  ;)

oh my stars and garters!

...actually, not surprised AT ALL, although why us straight guys can't have BONERs seems a bit presumptuous, no?  I mean...without the Boners, how could we be Breeders?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 12, 2011, 05:35:31 PM »
Just catching up on some old threads here...but did anyone else happen to catch the Kennedy Center Honors on CBS a couple weeks ago?  

We tuned in midway, but caught the tributes to Jerry Herman* ("Hello, Dolly!", "Mame," and "La Cage aux Folles", etc. Broadway), Merle Haggard, and Sir Paul.  Oprah Winfrey was also honored but we didn't catch her tribute.  But up in the balcony box for all the honorees, Sir Paul was bracketed by Oprah on hi sright & Michelle Obama to his left (with the Prez on the other side of her...and Colin Powell on the other side of him).  Oprah & Michelle were enthusiastic singer-alongers, Macca pretty much (even to the Haggard tunes!) & Barack...less so.

Yeah, I caught most of it (I tend to surf during commercials, and don't always make it back perfectly).

The Oprah (she was first) bit was good -- they gave a car to everyone in the theater.  Okay, I made that up.  But I was not impressed enough with her body of work.  She IS a wonder, and a force, but if you are being inducted next to Sir Paul, you need a few more years of credits. 

The next guy I had never heard of, a pioneer of modern dance (not something I follow too closely), but I could certainly appreciate HIS genius.  Pretty awesome stuff, and personal/professional story.  (Okay, I looked it up -- Bill T. Jones)

It was kind of entertaining watching Merle looking uncomfortable during the segments.  It was like "one of these things is not like the others", but maybe that was just my impression.  Everyone else seemed really into each other's stuff.  And, again, I'm no Country music man, and really wasn't impressed with Merle's tribute and body of work.  But it just aint my thing, even though "Okie From Muskogee" is my Uncle's favorite song.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Watching a bit of the Critic's Choice Awards -- the Broadcast Critics Association whoring themselves out so that VH-1 can have their equivalent of the MTV Movie Awards. Pretty dreadful, over-amped show, and the "house band" is... Maroon 5.  Is that actually considered a prime gig, guys?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 16, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
AAAAACK! the evil Diane Warren just won a Golden Globe for the song she wrote for Cher in Burlesque.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 26, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
another reason to hate Kings of Leon (and I'm not even a Glee fan):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glee-kings-leon-2-75671

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 26, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
another reason to hate Kings of Leon (and I'm not even a Glee fan):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glee-kings-leon-2-75671

this comment sums it up for me:

Anonymous | Wed, 2011-01-26 11:39

Ryan Murphy's right about one thing: Kings of Leon are celf centered douchebags.
However, Ryan Murphy needs to get over himself. Your show sucks, bro.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 01, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
So you think you can dance... badly... on local TV? KOFY Dance Party wants YOU!

http://sfist.com/2011/02/01/clouds_in_my_kofy_dance_party.php#

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 01, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
OMFG: There's an ice-skating thing on Hallmark Channel right now with Foreigner (!) providing the music -- they're actually there performing live (!!). Some guy is skating to "Dirty White Boy" (!!!). I am not making this up. Instantly added to my "worst things I've ever seen" list.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:51 PM »
The Slack-Jawed Fleas will be supplemented on Sunday by both Usher and Slash.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/02/02/sports/s170632S82.DTL&tsp=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 05, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
Earlier tonite I watched a very sweet documentary, Still Bill, about -- who else? -- Bill Withers. Bits and pieces of his career interspersed with what he's doing now (still collaborating and writing songs). Just the right length at about 75 minutes.  Available on Comcast's "On Demand" menus and also on DVD.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 06, 2011, 09:00:29 PM »
interesting analysis of the "hip-hop SuperBowl" from the grey lady:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/sports/football/07halftime-super-bowl-black-eyed-peas.html?_r=1&hp

Meanwhile, "twilight's last REAMING", eh Christina? Then that really *was* the gayest National Anthem at the Super Bowl since Cher sang it in 1999!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:08:50 PM by RGMike »