Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228882 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #630 on: June 25, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Centric salutes MJ with a 1972 SoulTrain ep: the J-5 doing "Corner of the Sky" and "Lookin' Thru the Windows" plus Jermaine doing "That's how Love Goes", his underrated first single, as well as "Daddy's Home".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 27, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
a FB-friend on the East Coast advised me to watch the Daytime Emmys because they were horrendous and she was right -- they're doing a salute to American Bandstand with a horde of aging stars who can't sing anymore: Marie Osmond, Tony Orlando, Chubby Checker.  Damn this is just awful.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 30, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
OMG!  Country Music television (ch. 475 on my Comcast) is showing  "Johnny Cash @ San Quentin" a 1969 docu with performance footage interspersed with interviews with inmates -- I'm guessing this hasn't been shown on TV in many years.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 08, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »
An interesting late-1981 Soul Train with the then-new group The Time (3 years before Purple Rain) doing "Get It Up" and "Cool", and a between-hits Patti LaBelle doing a flop single called "We're a Family".

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2010, 07:22:34 AM »
Courtney Love: VH1 Behind The Music.  Have you seen it?  This woman is crazier than a shithouse rat, but so fucking entertaining at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw6RDwzhon0

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Check out this rousing rendition of Pulling Mussels on Jimmy Fallon!  This song never gets old. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJf_0xuMFw

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »
Lawd! a 1975 Soul Train with Ike & Tina doing Ringo's "Oh My My". She can boogie! She can slide! This was not long before they broke up, actually.

And then Don Cornelius intros an even-worse-than-the-original-version remix of Disc-O-Texx's "Get Dancin" by saying "you've never heard anything like it". We'll, you've got me there, Mr C.

And I&T return later to do "Ike's Nuts + Tina's Bush = Nutbush"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:44:18 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:29 PM »
Check out this rousing rendition of Pulling Mussels on Jimmy Fallon!  This song never gets old. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJf_0xuMFw

That was pretty great. But WTF is up with doing a new album of remakes of all their old hits? A&M doesn't pay them royalties any more?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 17, 2010, 06:33:19 AM »
Heeerrrre's Johnny (Lydon) on the telly selling Country Life butter in the UK.  I can't tell if this horrifying or genius.  Maybe a bit of both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSE-Iy_tFY

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 17, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
Heeerrrre's Johnny (Lydon) on the telly selling Country Life butter in the UK.  I can't tell if this horrifying or genius.  Maybe a bit of both.

I ran across that a while back--just proves he's a much of a whore as anyone. But the commercials (there are several) are pretty funny.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »

I ran across that a while back--just proves he's a much of a whore as anyone. But the commercials (there are several) are pretty funny.

"you eat (butter) while I secrete!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
according to a tip over at the other AT40 message board, tonite's classic Soul Tarin is the VERY FIRST EPISODE from 1971; Honey Cone and Gladys & the Pips are the guests. Can't wait.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
according to a tip over at the other AT40 message board, tonite's classic Soul Train is the VERY FIRST EPISODE from 1971; Honey Cone and Gladys & the Pips are the guests. Can't wait.

Holy flaming mutha -- amazing.  Honey Cone at the very top of the show, doing "Want Ads", and they're singing live, not lip-synching.  And then Eddie Kendricks came out and sang a song I couldn't ID; something from his first solo LP, 2 years before he hit with "Keep on Truckin". Can't wait to see what's next.

Gladys & Co appear to do "Polygamy Friendship Train". Then return to sit in the "Soul Train Hot Seat", an interview segment. And lawdy, here's "I Don't Wanna Do Wrong", one of my 2 or 3 fave perfs of Ms Knight's. I just can't HELP mahself!

Then, after a demonstration of how to do the funky breakdown, Honey Cone return for "Stick Up" -- I'll wear a smile down the aisle, 'cause he's the father of mah child!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:44:33 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 21, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
Hard to top last nite's ST, but this comes close: a Summer-of-'74 excursion with George McCrae, Rufus feat. Chaka, and Billy Preston's gigantic 'fro.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 24, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
according to a tip over at the other AT40 message board, tonite's classic Soul Train is the VERY FIRST EPISODE from 1971; Honey Cone and Gladys & the Pips are the guests. Can't wait.

Holy flaming mutha -- amazing.  Honey Cone at the very top of the show, doing "Want Ads", and they're singing live, not lip-synching.  And then Eddie Kendricks came out and sang a song I couldn't ID; something from his first solo LP, 2 years before he hit with "Keep on Truckin". Can't wait to see what's next.

Gladys & Co appear to do "Polygamy Friendship Train". Then return to sit in the "Soul Train Hot Seat", an interview segment. And lawdy, here's "I Don't Wanna Do Wrong", one of my 2 or 3 fave perfs of Ms Knight's. I just can't HELP mahself!

Then, after a demonstration of how to do the funky breakdown, Honey Cone return for "Stick Up" -- I'll wear a smile down the aisle, 'cause he's the father of mah child!

For those who don't have the Centric channel but who *do* have Comcast, this particular episode is available On Demand as part of their ongoing promotion for the Soul Train CD box set. Go to channel 1 (the On Demand menu) and select Music --> Music Picks --> Soul Train --> "Soul Train Ep 1".  (it's available FREE until Aug 2nd).