Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 229045 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Had to happen: tonite's Classic ST is the infamous Elton John episode from 1975.   But first Mandrill came out to play -- find them on YouTube if you don't know them; sort of an Afro-Cuban Tower of Power (from Brooklyn!).

And here's ol' Reg himself, doing "Philadelphia Freedom" - a "new song" sez Don Cornelius, which dates this somewhere around March '75.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
Tonight (Wed 5/12) 10pm on KQED-Ch 9 on "American Masters" its the new documentary on The Doors "When You're Strange" narrated by Johnny Depp.  It should be shown a couple times this week, check your local PBS listings.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
Tonight (Wed 5/12) 10pm on KQED-Ch 9 on "American Masters" its the new documentary on The Doors "When You're Strange" narrated by Johnny Depp.  It should be shown a couple times this week, check your local PBS listings.

wow -- glad I didn't pay 10 bucks to see it in a theater last month!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 12, 2010, 09:53:49 AM »

It's underwhelming.  I did pay the more-than-10 bucks.   :-\
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 12, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »

yes, it's still at the Roxie Theater on 16th St. 

(And they have $5 Mondays.)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 14, 2010, 09:25:32 PM »
A 1982 Soul Train with Taste of Honey doing their lovely Smokey cover, "I'll Try Something New" and Jeffrey Osborne plugging his first solo LP with "I Really Don't Need No Light (to See Thru You)", which deserved better than its #39 Pop peak.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:32:41 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 21, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
An early-1975 Soul Train, with the Dramatics, Barbara Mason, and a "Supernatural" Ben E King. I may break out in little bitty green spots. But the highlight was the Scramble Board: it took an awfully long time for the 2 contestants to realize there's no such person as GALDS KNIGHTY.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 28, 2010, 09:28:40 PM »
Da whole funk, nuthin' but da funk: an early '78 Soul Train ep has everybody dancin' to "One Nation Under a Groove". Then a long-before-stardom Atlantic Starr do their first charted single, "Stand Up" and Freda Payne really NEEDS two Tylenol , since she's (badly) lip-synching one of her failed-disco-comeback-attempt singles.

ETA: didn't catch the name of the first Freda Payne tune (completely generic) but OMG here she is doing a discofied "Happy Days Are Here Again" that sounds likes she's fronting the Wing & a Prayer Fife & Drum Corps. Yeesh.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:37:20 PM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 01, 2010, 10:32:33 PM »
Tonight 10:30pm to 12 midnight on KQED Ch9 its Paul McCartney in concert from last July at NYC's new CitiField.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
Worst. PBS. Pledge-month. Special. EVAH: "Diane Warren Love Songs" -- 2 hours of everybody-and-his-sister singing Warren's godawful songs. AAAACK!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 07, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
Worst. PBS. Pledge-month. Special. EVAH: "Diane Warren Love Songs" -- 2 hours of everybody-and-his-sister singing Warren's godawful songs. AAAACK!

Oh, I bet it was horrendous! I would *love* a copy of that.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 10, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »
Watching a Miami Vice rerun on Centric ... just my luck, it's the episode that introduced us to Glenn Frey's "You Belong to the City". But it does have a young and foxy Pam Grier.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 11, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
Watching a Miami Vice rerun on Centric ... just my luck, it's the episode that introduced us to Glenn Frey's "You Belong to the City". But it does have a young and foxy Pam Grier.

*She* belongs to the night!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 11, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
A Fall-of-1976 Soul Train Classic with Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis too, doing "You Don't Have to Be a Tar Baby" as well as its less-successful predecessor, "I Hope We Get To Love In Time."  And Deniece Williams does "Free", looking rather slim compared to her chunky '80s incarnation.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:09:52 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12:52 PM »
DUUUUUDE! Green Day rocks the Tony Awards.  And Memphis looks like a pretty cool show too. But I'm still trying to figure out what "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has to do with the show Everyday Rapture.

Maeanwhile the NY Jets' Mark Sanchez reveals himself to be a theater queen! Dude, I am so totally in love with you right now.