Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226990 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #510 on: December 09, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »
I am *really* looking forward to the 2nd season of Elvis Costello's show on Sundance Channel.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/09/DD0M1B0JLB.DTL

And I'm seriously considering upping my DirecTV package to get Sundance, simply for this show.

Dunno how much that will cost (or what other channels it gets you -- does DTV have "tiers" and "packages" like cable does?) but its a fine fine show. And Sundance shows a lot of indie & foreign films nobody else does.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 09, 2009, 01:14:08 PM »
I am *really* looking forward to the 2nd season of Elvis Costello's show on Sundance Channel.

And I'm seriously considering upping my DirecTV package to get Sundance, simply for this show.

Dunno how much that will cost (or what other channels it gets you -- does DTV have "tiers" and "packages" like cable does?) but its a fine fine show. And Sundance shows a lot of indie & foreign films nobody else does.

Yeah, it has the same sort of structure, I think. Right now we're getting the second level package, which runs us about $65 a month for about 150 channels. Jumping to the top tier would probably cost another $20 a month and give us a whole bunch more channels, most of which I wouldn't give a sh*t about. We'll see. Might have to see if any friends are getting it, and arrange to drop by with a bottle of wine a couple times a month to catch up.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #512 on: December 09, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

used to be it was on Comcast On Demand, but I sure can't find it there now.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 10, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »

for OnDemand, look for "TV Entertainment", and under that there's a "Sundance" option; they actually offfer the show a week ahead of the air date.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:53:07 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 11, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
For those with TCM on cable, they're showing Performance tonite (11 Pacific, 2am Eastern), the bizarre Nicholas Roeg  film with Mick Jagger doing "Memo From Turner" and other delights. I've always found it kind of overrated, but worth a look if you've never seen it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 11, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
For those with TCM on cable, they're showing Performance tonite (11 Pacific, 2am Eastern), the bizarre Nicholas Roeg  film with Mick Jagger doing "Memo From Turner" and other delights. I've always found it kind of overrated, but worth a look if you've never seen it.
I recommend it too, but then again, I think Putney Swope is a great movie!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 11, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »

for OnDemand, look for "TV Entertainment", and under that there's a "Sundance" option; they actually offfer the show a week ahead of the air date.
thanks; I'm usually pretty good at navigating, but this eluded me!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 17, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
I turned on the SNL Xmas special tonite just in time to catch the brilliant "Xmastime for the Jews" Claymation short, with vocals by Darlene Love. My holiday season is complete!

(There's a link to it on Hulu in the "Mike's Christmas Countdown" thread, assuming you have the latest version of Flash)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:18:14 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 20, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
if you notice any TV station will be broadcasting Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, one of the fascinatingly crappiest tv specials ever, please post the info here!  Mike turned me onto this last year, and I want to see it again. 

I would bet money that Channel 32 KMTP will show it again -- they seem to own the only existing copy, and it ain't on YouTube.  Probably in their Sunday nite @ 8pm Movie slot sometime this month.  It is truly awesomely awful.

Comcast's program grid shows KMPT (channel 32) with something called "Scrooge" at 8pm tonite (Sun 12/20) -- but no description of what it is. So it *could* be Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, or it could be some other cheapass version of "A Christmas Carol".  So check it out!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 20, 2009, 08:22:14 PM »
if you notice any TV station will be broadcasting Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, one of the fascinatingly crappiest tv specials ever, please post the info here!  Mike turned me onto this last year, and I want to see it again. 

I would bet money that Channel 32 KMTP will show it again -- they seem to own the only existing copy, and it ain't on YouTube.  Probably in their Sunday nite @ 8pm Movie slot sometime this month.  It is truly awesomely awful.

Comcast's program grid shows KMPT (channel 32) with something called "Scrooge" at 8pm tonite (Sun 12/20) -- but no description of what it is. So it *could* be Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, or it could be some other cheapass version of "A Christmas Carol".  So check it out!

alas, it was some other cheapass version of "A Christmas Carol".  AND no sound coming through for me, either.  But thanks for the tip...!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 20, 2009, 08:49:05 PM »

alas, it was some other cheapass version of "A Christmas Carol".  AND no sound coming through for me, either.  But thanks for the tip...!

I'm bummed -- still possible they could show it next Sunday, I suppose. Or sometime during the week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 27, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »

I'm bummed -- still possible they could show it next Sunday, I suppose. Or sometime during the week.

Well, I'm majorly bummed that we didn't get Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas this year, but KMPT Channel 32 *is* showing the 1964 camp classic Santa Claus Conquers the Martians at 8pm tonite -- worth a glimpse if you never seen it. Mars kidnaps Santa, and some kids (including a 6-year-old Pia Zadora!) have to save him amid cringe-worthy effects and cheezy sets.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 31, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »
Watching CNN. They're playing "Imagine" in Times Square prior to the ball drop.  Kathy Griffin really needs to shut up for 5 minutes.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 01, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
Turned on the NHL "Winter Classic" -- it's being played at Fenway Park -- and there's JT singing the Nat'l Anthem. The dude just never sleeps!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »
Watching CNN. They're playing "Imagine" in Times Square prior to the ball drop.  Kathy Griffin really needs to shut up for 5 minutes.

Kathy Griffin really needs to shut up for the rest of my life. Cannot express how annoying that skank is.
Let's get right to it.