Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226965 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #495 on: November 25, 2009, 02:18:57 PM »
On The History Channel TONIGHT Wed, Nov 25th, 10PM ET, a one hour special called The Beatles On Record. It was put together by the director of the Anthology shows and produced by Apple's new Director, Jeff Jones, using only the voices of John, Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin. Speaking of history, it was EXACTLY 41 years ago today The Beatles (The White Album) was released in the U.S. It has gone on to become one of the greatest albums ever! 30 songs, 2 discs, an amazing variety of songs that somehow worked as one piece that has stood the test of time. And now it sounds even better, digitally remastered.

To top off the holiday's festivities, ABC-TV is presenting a Paul McCartney Special: LET IT BE on Thanksgiving Night at 10PM ET. Scenes from The Beatles Shea Stadium Concert will be included.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »
For those with HBO, the star-studded, anybody-who's-anybody, 4-hours-plus "RnR HOF 25th Anniversary Concert" starts at 5pm (if you have the East Coast feed; otherwise 8pm on the West Coast).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 29, 2009, 06:39:28 PM »
For those with HBO, the star-studded, anybody-who's-anybody, 4-hours-plus "RnR HOF 25th Anniversary Concert" starts at 5pm (if you have the East Coast feed; otherwise 8pm on the West Coast).

Well, this is turning out to be pretty cool so far: Jeff Beck joined Stevie W on "Superstition"; S&G reunited on "Sounds of Silence", "the Boxer" and "BOTW".  Nice to see Dion still doing his old songs and not considering them "evil", and a TANC moment for me: the other nite KPOO's oldies guy was playing Little Anthony and talking about how he still tours and still hits the high notes (at nearly 70!) and lo, he appears with the Imperials and damned if he really can still sing.

OMG! here's Ree Ree! She seems to have lost weight, thank gawd (or else she's corseted within an inch of her life). And double-OMG: she's doing "Don't Play That Song", one of my 2 or 3 fave tunes of hers. Triple-OMG: Annie Lennox just came out and they're duetting on "Chain of Fools"!

And they're followed by Metallica! DUUUUUUDE!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:49:56 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 29, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
I'm running out of OMGs: Metallica are now backing Lou Reed on "Sweet Jane".

First F-bomb of the nite (hey, it's not TV, it's HBO): Ozzy. "I cahn't fooking HEAR you!" as he launches into "Iron Man", also backed by Metallica.

Finally, Metallica plays back-up for... Ray Davies! "All Day And All of the Night", natch.  Ray exits, and they close with "Enter Sandman" -- no Pat Boone in sight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:07:59 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2009, 07:24:59 PM »
Holee crap!  Patti Smith, Brooooce and U2 together on "Because the Night".

And Bruce sticks around to duet "I Still Haven't Found..." with Bono. Then Bruce exits and Jagger appears to do "Gimme Shelter" with U2, followed by "Stuck in a Moment". Amazing.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:41:32 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
Guess Rod the Mod was otherwise engaged: Sting joins Jeff Beck for "People Get Ready".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
I logged off last nite before the final half-hour, which involved Bruce and the E-Streeters: John Fogarty duetted with Bruce on "Pretty Woman"; the band did "Jungleland" and then backed Darlene Love on "Fine Fine Boy". Then Billy Joel came out and he and Bruce shared "NY State of Mind" and "Born to Run". Not a bad nite's work.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »
if you notice any TV station will be broadcasting Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, one of the fascinatingly crappiest tv specials ever, please post the info here!  Mike turned me onto this last year, and I want to see it again. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:57 AM »
if you notice any TV station will be broadcasting Scrooge's Rock n ' Roll Christmas, one of the fascinatingly crappiest tv specials ever, please post the info here!  Mike turned me onto this last year, and I want to see it again. 

I would bet money that Channel 32 KMTP will show it again -- they seem to own the only existing copy, and it ain't on YouTube.  Probably in their Sunday nite @ 8pm Movie slot sometime this month.  It is truly awesomely awful.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 02, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »

I would bet money that Channel 32 KMTP will show it again -- they seem to own the only existing copy, and it ain't on YouTube.  Probably in their Sunday nite @ 8pm Movie slot sometime this month.  It is truly awesomely awful.

thanks Mike, will keep a lookout.  At this time last year there were clips on youtube, but they're gone now.  Bah, humbug!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

thanks Mike, will keep a lookout.  At this time last year there were clips on youtube, but they're gone now.  Bah, humbug!

They also have a copy of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians!, the craptastic kiddie film from the early '60s, starring a then-7-year-old Pia Zadora. It's the Plan Nine From Outer Space of kid-flicks!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 04, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
Grammy Noms anyone?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/live-blogging-the-grammy-nominations/

Hall & Oates, Best Pop Vocal for "Sara Smile"? WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »
Caught a wonderful docu last nite -- one of PBS's pledge-month boomer-bait things -- about the life and times of Joan Baez. Interviews with Ms. Baez as well as the likes of Dylan and Roger McGuinn, terrific old home movies and lost footage of her singing in Cambridge coffeehouses in the late '50s... really great stuff. I'm sure it will be repeated endlessly; catch it if you can.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:04:15 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 09, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
I am *really* looking forward to the 2nd season of Elvis Costello's show on Sundance Channel.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/09/DD0M1B0JLB.DTL

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
I am *really* looking forward to the 2nd season of Elvis Costello's show on Sundance Channel.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/09/DD0M1B0JLB.DTL

And I'm seriously considering upping my DirecTV package to get Sundance, simply for this show.
Let's get right to it.