Author Topic: Friday Aug 26--today's classic--1968?  (Read 9515 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the list
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2005, 10:10:21 PM »
8/26/05 - FRIDAY!!!  Today's 10@10 "Classic" is from...1968!!!

Deep Purple - Hush
Sam & Dave - I Thank You
Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair
Small Faces - Tin Soldier
Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil
Supremes - Love Child
Band - Chest Fever (BEST OF SET!!)
Beatles - Dear Prudence
Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through the Grapevine
Beach Boys - Friends
BONUS TRACK:  Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Friday Aug 26--today's classic--1968?
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 10:14:04 PM »
Rerun arrival, and BOS to Small Faces' "Tin Soldier," which CG taught me to love.  What a great keyboard riff (is that a Wurlitzer he's playing?).  And the drumming beats the fuck out of me.  Fuck Itchykoo Park, THIS is the sawng.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
My last 10@10 (kind of)
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 10:19:01 PM »
Today, I was going over what we'd be teaching the first week of school in the chem classroom, and I noticed it was around 10:00, so I asked my master teacher if I could change the channel.  I didn't get the chance to hear too much more than the MLK newsclip, but it seemed to me that it's probably the last time, for the most, that I will be able to listen, and the time for simoultaneous posting passed about a week ago.

Tuesadays, I might be able to sneak in here during the advisory period, which I don't have to teach.  We'll see.  

I have been listening to Dave do his thing since the very beginning, and just feel it's something out of my life that is passing.  There will be Summer, etc., but you know what I mean.  I'll post when I can after the fact, like now, I'm listening to the replay, which I  rarely do.  We need to podcast 10@10!

It's been swell, and I'll be around, but just felt like marking this time here with you all.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 10:25:08 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
have the words "tenement slum" ever sounded so lovely?

BOS Ms Ross and her Supes.

R. Dean Taylor ("Indiana Wants Me") has claimed that he co-wrote this and several other later-day Supremes hits and didn't get proper songwriting credit due to discrimination.  Haven't heard anyone corroborate.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: My last 10@10 (kind of)
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 11:09:58 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Today, I was going over what we'd be teaching the first week of school in the chem classroom, and I noticed it was around 10:00, so I asked my master teacher if I could change the channel.  I didn't get the chance to hear too much more than the MLK newsclip, but it seemed to me that it's probably the last time, for the most, that I will be able to listen, and the time for simoultaneous posting passed about a week ago.

Tuesadays, I might be able to sneak in here during the advisory period, which I don't have to teach.  We'll see.  

I have been listening to Dave do his thing since the very beginning, and just feel it's something out of my life that is passing.  There will be Summer, etc., but you know what I mean.  I'll post when I can after the fact, like now, I'm listening to the replay, which I  rarely do.  We need to podcast 10@10!

It's been swell, and I'll be around, but just felt like marking this time here with you all.

I hope you can fit the replays into your schedule.  I know the feeling, having off-and-on had jobs or other scheduling issues that kept me from hearing the show for extended periods of time.  And the shift from real-time interaction to twelve-hour-delay interaction is a letdown, but only temporarily and occasionally noticed.

More importantly, the shift is due to the fact that you've got a great new gig, and so we mark this also as a congratulations to you on this professional (and hopefully personal as well) step.

Gaz

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 11:14:39 AM »
Woke up to KPIG rather than the marathon (see "local radio" thread), but tuned past KFOG later -- just in time for '68.  The Beatles clip reminds me to ask, has anyone written a definitive bio of Tiny Tim?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
have the words "tenement slum" ever sounded so lovely?

BOS Ms Ross and her Supes.

R. Dean Taylor ("Indiana Wants Me") has claimed that he co-wrote this and several other later-day Supremes hits and didn't get proper songwriting credit due to discrimination.  Haven't heard anyone corroborate.

It wouldn't surprise me; at very least Motown would've probably considered it embarassing if not "controversial" that a song like LC -- the Supes' first to deal with the reality of ghetto life -- was co-written by a white boy.

When LC first came out, I thought the opening phrase being sung was "hear mah song" rather than "tenement slum".

And Geoff, I agree with Gaz's sentiments.  Great to have you here whether in "real time" or after-the-fact.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round