Author Topic: 18 August 2006 -- it's 1969 (Classic)  (Read 13374 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
18 August 2006 -- it's 1969 (Classic)
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Speaking of Katrinas, "Build Me Up Buttercup" must qualify by now, eh?

Surprisingly no, Dave hasn't played it in over 2 years, and this is only it's second appearance in afforementioned 28 sets.  He plays "Baby, Now That I Found You" quite a bit more often, but not enough to qualify as a Katrina either.

It just seems like a Katrina because it's so ubiquitous (commercials, oldies stations, movie trailers etc).

It's definitely a Katrina on WDRV, as well.

Final Db note, I have updated to include everything as of yesterday.  We are nearing 1000 sets total, and as far as my continuous record of year-specific sets, it's now at 501.  In other words, I have a complete & precise record of the last 500 "spin the big wheel" sets.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Savoy Brown, BOS3.  Another forgotten FM staple of the era.

When my buddy from Seattle was here last weekend I turned him on to 10@10 & we listened to an Urth tape of a '69 set that concluded with this.  It also had the Pharm-Chem report, which we should request Dave to play again one of these days.

Is this your buddy whose houseboat I visited last year?  Hope he had a fab time!

PS: "TANC" oughta be added to the glossary, ne?

PPS: I am incapable of getting tired of the Steam track.  Even listening to it right now it's like a new thrill.  But my BOS goes to the wonderfully mellow "Can I Change My Mind."  Would that we could all be so easygoing about our foolishness.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 11:39:18 PM »
8/18/2006 - FRIDAY!!! Whoo hooo...1969!!!

1.  Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times  
2.  Doors - Wishful Sinful  
3.  Who - Overture/It's a Boy (from Tommy)  
4.  Savoy Brown - I'm Tired  
5.  Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye  
6.  Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind  
7.  Jeff Beck - Plynth  
8.  Beatles - Here Comes the Sun (BEST OF SET!!)  
9.  Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup  
10.  Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music  

BONUS TRACK:  Crosby, Stills & Nash - Marrakesh Express
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2006, 09:55:13 AM »
Marathoning: Dave's saved the worst for last, so I'll bail before 1990 comes on, but '69 and '75 back-to-back while I'm awake enough to appreciate 'em has been sweet.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2006, 10:40:20 PM »
Marathoning: Dave's saved the worst for last, so I'll bail before 1990 comes on, but '69 and '75 back-to-back while I'm awake enough to appreciate 'em has been sweet.

To me, the worst sets would be the '69 and '75 years. I guess you and I have much different musical tastes, Mike.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2006, 10:13:48 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

To me, the worst sets would be the '69 and '75 years. I guess you and I have much different musical tastes, Mike.

You have hurt me in my heart.   :cry:
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Oh these kids today... :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »

While you guys know that my tastes generally concur with those of the collective consciousness around here (75 and earlier are what we live for; 76-81 can be great, can be dreck, usually fall somewhere in between; 82 and later mmm, not so much, with the occasional flash of brilliance [see the 85 set from a couple weeks ago]). But that said, I say to each their own, and we could probably use someone to step up and represent for the 80s sets around here. Just be aware, SFGuy, that you'll probably not find too many here who share your POV, particularly re: mid to late 80s  and 90s sets. But if you're cool with that, I am too. Welcome, and I look forward to your bringing us a different perspective on an era we generally disdain. Cheers!
Jim
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »

PS: "TANC" oughta be added to the glossary, ne?

i'm compiling a list of updates. i'll add them later this week.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
beware the snark
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
While you guys know that my tastes generally concur with those of the collective consciousness around here (75 and earlier are what we live for; 76-81 can be great, can be dreck, usually fall somewhere in between; 82 and later mmm, not so much, with the occasional flash of brilliance [see the 85 set from a couple weeks ago]. But that said, I say to each their own, and we could probably use someone to step up and represent for the 80s sets around here. Just be aware, SFGuy, that you'll probably not find too many here who share your POV, particularly re: mid to late 80s  and 90s sets. But if you're cool with that, I am too. Welcome, and I look forward to your bringing us a different perspective on an era we generally disdain. Cheers!
Jim
While I would probably be the equivalent of Bizarro World SF Guy in my era taste, I do feel it's important to resist any sort of snarky hegemony that crops up where you may find such incredibly talented and opinionated assholes experts such as we!  So, I vote with Urth!  Keep us on our toes!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: beware the snark
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2006, 07:20:42 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
While you guys know that my tastes generally concur with those of the collective consciousness around here (75 and earlier are what we live for; 76-81 can be great, can be dreck, usually fall somewhere in between; 82 and later mmm, not so much, with the occasional flash of brilliance [see the 85 set from a couple weeks ago]. But that said, I say to each their own, and we could probably use someone to step up and represent for the 80s sets around here. Just be aware, SFGuy, that you'll probably not find too many here who share your POV, particularly re: mid to late 80s  and 90s sets. But if you're cool with that, I am too. Welcome, and I look forward to your bringing us a different perspective on an era we generally disdain. Cheers!
Jim
While I would probably be the equivalent of Bizarro World SF Guy in my era taste, I do feel it's important to resist any sort of snarky hegemony that crops up where you may find such incredibly talented and opinionated assholes experts such as we!  So, I vote with Urth!  Keep us on our toes!

Yes.  And just so you recognize us at the next Club gathering, here's a recent shot of Mike and me:

SFGuy

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2006, 11:58:41 PM »

While you guys know that my tastes generally concur with those of the collective consciousness around here (75 and earlier are what we live for; 76-81 can be great, can be dreck, usually fall somewhere in between; 82 and later mmm, not so much, with the occasional flash of brilliance [see the 85 set from a couple weeks ago]). But that said, I say to each their own, and we could probably use someone to step up and represent for the 80s sets around here. Just be aware, SFGuy, that you'll probably not find too many here who share your POV, particularly re: mid to late 80s  and 90s sets. But if you're cool with that, I am too. Welcome, and I look forward to your bringing us a different perspective on an era we generally disdain. Cheers!
Jim

I actually like early 80's. The later it gets, the less I like it to a point where I am not looking foward to 10@10 in the year 2008 and 2009 when sets from the worst era in the modern era get played: 1998 and 1999.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:26 AM »

Jim

I actually like early 80's. The later it gets, the less I like it to a point where I am not looking foward to 10@10 in the year 2008 and 2009 when sets from the worst era in the modern era get played: 1998 and 1999.

i think we could all build sublime sets (to our liking) from any year, provided we didn't have to pick from the same limited pool that dave has to use.