Author Topic: 23 June 2006--a classic Pride set?  (Read 8377 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Frank Zappa album title
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Thanks, though it's a little hard in that particular one, since it isn't clear what letter or letters are missing, since it's basically a misspelling.
so, assuming "un" is short for "one" I'd guess:

good un'
I'll have to split a hair here to clarify this.  (Never invite multiple copy editors to be on your b-board.)  In the case of "good 'un," the apostrophe isn't so much replacing a *letter* as replacing a *sound* (the "w" sound that begins "one").  Hence, "good 'un."

I'd explain further except I just smoked a very large amount of pot.

Sounds quite reasonable to me, especially since the missing letter is silent!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Zappa album title
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Davefish"
Thanks, though it's a little hard in that particular one, since it isn't clear what letter or letters are missing, since it's basically a misspelling.

so, assuming "un" is short for "one" I'd guess:

good un'

I'll have to split a hair here to clarify this.  (Never invite multiple copy editors to be on your b-board.)  In the case of "good 'un," the apostrophe isn't so much replacing a *letter* as replacing a *sound* (the "w" sound that begins "one").  Hence, "good 'un."

I'd explain further except I just smoked a very large amount of pot.

Yeah--what he said!

Thanks for covering my grammatical ass there, Gaz.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
23 June 2006--a classic Pride set?
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 08:48:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
"You don't want to sound dumb
don't want to offend
so don't call me a faggot
not unless you are a friend"

paging Ozzie Guillen...

Hurray, I can finally listen to WMP streams here!  Tuned into the replay just in time for "Real Men," a song whose sentiments apply as well to Brett Myers as to Ozzie Guillen ... *sigh*

NYC's Pride Parade is tomorrow.  I might march with my softball league, even though I feel so disconnected from the GLBT community in this city.  Sometimes I forget how many people are still closeted and still depend on public shows of support (and, yes, pride) from those of us who are out, to help them work up the courage to live their lives more openly.  Wish I had ITMFA buttons to give out to everybody.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 10:47:29 AM »
Did anyone catch this item in Leah Garchik's column of yesterday's (Tuesday) Chron:

P.P.S.: Marna Clark, listening to KFOG on Friday, says a program featuring gay, lesbian and transgender songs was sponsored by California Closets.

She must have been referring to this set--I don't think there were any other gay-themed shows on KFOG on Friday, although I missed the California Closets connection.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 10:58:09 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Did anyone catch this item in Leah Garchik's column of yesterday's (Tuesday) Chron:

P.P.S.: Marna Clark, listening to KFOG on Friday, says a program featuring gay, lesbian and transgender songs was sponsored by California Closets.

She must have been referring to this set--I don't think there were any other gay-themed shows on KFOG on Friday, although I missed the California Closets connection.

that's hysterical, how'd we miss that?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 10:58:23 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

they've been a 10@10 sponsor for some time; I don't remember hearing that particular backannounce Friday.  They're "the official closeteer of KFOG" which always prompts me to ask, "I thought Tracy Chapman was the offical closeteer of KFOG".

Speaking of, Live 105's "K-GAY" played "Fast Car" at one point which made me laugh out loud.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round