Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1419947 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #3300 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
Hour2: WOS3 Billy's ocean of sap, "There'll Be Sad Songs..."

There WILL be bad songs to make you cry.  (see KFOG, July 2011 - present)

A lot of this stuff is NTM, but I like Gavin Christopher, although it sounds derivative of a lot of songs and grooves, esp that bass line.  I just can't place it.  ETA: Duh!  MJ is the one who copied it from GC.  just re-read Gaz's post.  nailed it.

the LDD features Kenny Loggins and Goaty Goat Goat = guilty pleasure.  (Kenny Loggins will be at the Sausalito Art Festival Labor Day weekend).

BOS3 Who is Tinka Johnny?  fun!

Well, Bang a Gong and call me Shorty!  Andy Taylor certainly know show to "Take It Easy," as evidenced by this boring piece of shlock T-Rex riff rip-off.  WOS.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:38:49 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 07, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »

Hahaha! 

Ooh...Yacht rockin' on the LDD.  Whenever I Call My Dealer You Friend.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »

There WILL be bad songs to make you cry.  (see KFOG, July 2011 - present)
Hahaha!  

Ooh...Yacht rockin' on the LDD.  Whenever I Call My Dealer You Friend.
Billy Ocean, Simply Red, Miami Sound Machine...is this KOIT???

Gotta BOS this T40 extra:  All Cried Out.  Sing it, Lisa!

WOSWOSWOS Dancing On The Ceiling.  OUTRAGEOUS!
WOOWOOWOO Jeffrey Osborne gets a BOS.  Oh, hells yeah.

Not sure how I feel about this Wham! song.  Sounds like it's trying too hard.

BOSing Bananarama, of course.  This is an instance when I heard the cover first before the original.  This version is better, IMO.

Diggin' the Blow Monkeys, too - but the band name is a WTF.  ETA:  According to Casey, it's London slang for saxophone players.  Oi!

Local flavah:  Timex Social Club spreadin' Rumors.  BOS.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:39:16 PM by sundaygal »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »

Hahaha! 

Ooh...Yacht rockin' on the LDD.  Whenever I Call My Dealer You Friend.
Billy Ocean, Simply Red, Miami Sound Machine...is this KOIT???

You Take My Breath Away with your snarky insight!  :)

Journey's Suzanne?  ugh!  But is Steve Perry actually singing "Suzannah?" 

Mike gives the Moodies a WOS, but I give them an HM.  I mean, come on, they have falsetto!  Justin Hayward always wrote their simpler poppier stuff.  He was 40 when this charted, it's appropriate the subject matter is about reminiscences.

Here's Lionel Ritchie crapping on the ceiling.   That man has mastered anti-gravity!

Yammo Be There give Michael McDonald a BOS for this.  Release the yachts!  Sweet Freedom.

when Pet Shop Boys came on girlfriend said "First good song they've played."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:03:51 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 07, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
WOSWOSWOS Dancing On The Ceiling.  OUTRAGEOUS!

And you-woo-woo-woo made me LOL!  Outrageous!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 09, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »
This week That '70s Casey is from Aug 17th 1974:

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-17-74.pdf

And Casey's '80s visits Aug 14th 1982

http://www.charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/08-14-82.pdf
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 13, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
"Beach Baby" begins its looooooong stay in the Top 40; Sly's "Time For Livin" has a blink-and-you-missed-it chart life. VHM the Stylistics.

George McCrae beats his wife, har har.

BOS1 Main Ingredient's criminally forgotten "Happiness is Just Around the Bend" -- damn this sounds great today.

Mick sticks his hand in his heart. er, eww. BOS2 Edgar Winter, "River's Risin' ".

Casey sez "only two" of the orig British Invasion groups are still making the charts in '74... the Stones & the Hollies. He musta been astounded when the Kinks came back in '78.  BOS3 the lovely "Air That I Breathe".

WOS the Guess Who, giving a famous deejay a sexually transmitted disease. JB tells us how to get down with a broad. VHM "My Thang".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:47:42 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
Hour 2: Brenda Lee's comin' on strong.  The Dan rip off/pay homage to Horace Silver.

"Ah've heard people say..." Barry can't get enuf; Billy can't get nothin'.  WOS2 the Righteous Bros, making "RnR Heaven" a Hit From Hell.

BOS4 the fantabulous "Hang on in There, Baby", you sweet virgin of the world.

Fancy's unnecessary remake of "Wild Thing" is one of the bigger "WTF?"s in chart history. Dionne W gets that urge to feel ya. She heard there was coke in your back pocket.

BOS5 Billy "Crash" Craddock's forgotten "Rub it In" -- a great summer song that nobody ever thinks of when they make lists of great summer songs.

EJ lets your son gown down. No more Auggie Dog-ness!

2 "awwww" songs in a row: John Denver followed by Ms Reddy.  I love you too, baby. VHMs to both.

sure as I'm sittin' here, 3DN deserve an HM for this early John Hiatt compo. Always a BOS(6) for Mr Kim, gettin' gently rocked. It only hurts the first time, Andy boy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! this hour's extra is "Sweet Home Ala-bummer".
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:54:01 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
Hearing BTO's "Blue Collah" as a Canuck extra almost makes up for getiing their "TCB" early in Hour 3.  WOS3 GFR "Shinin' On", which sure seems cribbed from Rare Earth's "Born to Wander".

Memo to Crapton: if you shoot the sheriff, you might as well hit the deputy too. You're gonna hang either way.

well, if somebody would wet my willie, I'd keep on smilin' too...

Casey make a boo-boo: he just called Blue Magic's "Sideshow" their second big hit... er, it was their first.

BOS7 Jim Stafford's slyly amusing "Wildwood Weed". "he said he flew up there. I had to fly up and get him down, he was about half-crazy"

VHM Chicago's "Call on Me", one of their Top Ten hits that really doesn't get played much these days, compared to, say, "Saturday in the Park".

Loving these station IDs done by the stations themselves ... a feature that was rather short-lived, unfortunately.

Damn, "Feel Like Makin' Love" is a Rubina Flake solo turn, so I can't do any Donny Hathaway window-ledge jokes.

And one for the "Brits writing songs about American places they've obviously never been": Paper Lace. Actually, the show began and ended with examples of this; #40 was "Beach Baby", with its reference to that hotbed of surfing... San Jose.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:05:08 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 14, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
Jeffrey Osborne's "I Really Don't Need No Light" is NTM.  I heard pieces of this '80s set yesterday, now have it on in the background while I pack books and curio.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 14, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
'82 gets off to a nice start: Mr Crenshaw's "Someday Someway"; Jeffrey Osborne back for a 2nd week, this time with "I Really Don't Need No Light"; EJ's "Blue Eyes" and Herb Alpert's forgotten "Route 101". VHMs all.

Rick S's "What Kind of Fool Am I" is a minor piece of his catalog; WOS Asia, of course.

Nobody sneers like Mr Idol.

VHM H&O's forgotten "Your Imagination".  I'm guessing Phil Collins hasn't eaten off a paper plate in decades.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:39:30 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:55 AM »
I have no memory of H&O's "Your Imagination," but I bet Paul Young had it in mind for his rearrangement of "I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down" 3 years later.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »
Honeysuckle-chocolate-drippin' BOS1 Stevie's "Do I Do", even if it is the 45 version, which is still plenty lengthy. 

Love's been a little bit of a hard-on for Juice Newton; Leslie Pearl replies "if it fits, wear it!"

JCM dribbles off his Bobbie Brooks. BOS2 Miss. Jennifer. Holliday!

TANC: Kim Wilde journeys to "east California". There's a new map comin', ah warn ya!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:30:57 AM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
I feel like I've been hit by a truck when I hear Jennifer Holliday's "And I Am Telling You."  BOS.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 14, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
I feel like I've been hit by a truck when I hear Jennifer Holliday's "And I Am Telling You."  BOS.

Well, she *was* rather large.  

Always fascinated me that it peaked at #22; in the current Glee-dominated pop landscape, it surely woulda done better, no?

BOS3 "Out of Work". Still amazed some country artist hasn't latched onto this for a remake.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:47:59 AM by RGMike »