Author Topic: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general  (Read 68561 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:17:24 AM »
I started this thread to disseminate discussion away from the Captain's awesome 10@10 efforts. This thread should be for 10@10 in general as it relates to Renee, KFOG and company.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 - Discussion of KFOG's show in general
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:42 AM »
Today's 1971 set from Renee was excellent!
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »
I started this thread to disseminate discussion away from the Captain's awesome 10@10 efforts. This thread should be for 10@10 in general as it relates to Renee, KFOG and company.

This the intention I had when I started that thread.  However I didn't feel it was my place to complain
when CapnJack started posting his work there, particularly as everyone seemed to be enjoying it.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:48 PM »

This the intention I had when I started that thread.  However I didn't feel it was my place to complain
when CapnJack started posting his work there, particularly as everyone seemed to be enjoying it.

My apologies for hijacking that thread.
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:52:18 AM »

My apologies for hijacking that thread.

None needed. But I do think a place to discuss the existing show in general (such as: lead-ins/backsells, Renee's level of prep, 10@10 trends) is needed (although perhaps with its incremental progress, not as much as before).

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Today's 1971 set from Renee was excellent!

Yes it was.  However I suspect it was just another happy accident aided by a strong year, and
that soon we will back to the usual.  There does seem to be a new process in place, and to its
credit it has produced an occasional gem as well as a slightly better result overall.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »
I'm just happy that her FB efforts have now extended past the "Gas was x cents per gallon" stage.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »
Are there complaints about the length of the clips these days?  I don't get it...

Of course, it's the quality of the clips, not their length.  DM had some that were quite lengthy,
but they were done well.  And a few long clips can help pad out an otherwise short set,
notably Monday's from 1963.  That had to be just about the shortest 10@10 ever, and I can
think of several good ideas that would have extended it by a few minutes.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
Are there complaints about the length of the clips these days?  I don't get it...

Of course, it's the quality of the clips, not their length.  DM had some that were quite lengthy,
but they were done well.  And a few long clips can help pad out an otherwise short set,
notably Monday's from 1963.  That had to be just about the shortest 10@10 ever, and I can

I agree it depends on the clip; that Tip O'Neill clip could've used judicious editing, as could that Ollie North thing.  I think one difference is that Dave actually *lived* thru the eras he featured, so he knew what mattered; nowadays the clips are being chosen and edited by folks who have no personal/historical connection to the material.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »

I agree it depends on the clip; that Tip O'Neill clip could've used judicious editing, as could that Ollie North thing.  I think one difference is that Dave actually *lived* thru the eras he featured, so he knew what mattered; nowadays the clips are being chosen and edited by folks who have no personal/historical connection to the material.
wow!  I agree with Mike!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

While your point is valid and that factor certainly makes it easier to produce a good clip/montage,
I don't think it's prohibitive.  I have very few memories specific to 1963, but with a little research
I could probably come up with plenty of good ideas.  For me the issue is locating the source
material, but presumably they have better resources in that regard.

Annalisa had a different style than Dave, but she did a pretty good job on clips as well.  It was
obvious she put work into them, and in fact in one of her e-mails she was very clear that she
didn't want to just copy what Dave had done.  Contrast that with our current host, who has
used other's clips.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »
Any DBAs here?  I've long wanted to slurp the 10@10 lists into a database in order to run queries
and generate all manner of amusing trivia.  What's the most played song in all of 10@10?  Most
played artist?  What artist has won BOS the most?  What artist has been played the most without
winning BOS?  Also most played song or artist for each year.  Etc., etc.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »
Any DBAs here?  I've long wanted to slurp the 10@10 lists into a database in order to run queries
and generate all manner of amusing trivia.  What's the most played song in all of 10@10?  Most
played artist?  What artist has won BOS the most?  What artist has been played the most without

It's been done - we need to find you a Shraytabase.  It's way out of date, Shray having found a life, but it was a labor of love while it lasted.  Pretty cool stuff.

I'm great with data, but I've never been motivated enough to figure out how to scrape the web for 10@10 data.  I have enough headache with data at work, I don't need to struggle with it on my off hours. 

Darryl, an occasional participant here, is actually pretty good at that -- I think he's been scraping the lists for years. 

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »

It's been done - we need to find you a Shraytabase.  It's way out of date, Shray having found a life, but it was a labor of love while it lasted.  Pretty cool stuff.

I'm great with data, but I've never been motivated enough to figure out how to scrape the web for 10@10 data.  I have enough headache with data at work, I don't need to struggle with it on my off hours. 

Darryl, an occasional participant here, is actually pretty good at that -- I think he's been scraping the lists for years.

I'm guessing that for the most part, one would be able to scrape together the 10@10 lists post-Shraytabase. Obviously, pre-Shraytabase info is essentially lost to history, unless DM himself kept track of them.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
I'm pretty sure that all of the Annalisa (& Renee) era sets are here on the boards.  I've just been doing searches to find out which songs have been played before.

Didn't the Shrayatabase used to be on the front page?  I can't find it anymore.  I have a copy on my home computer though that I can upload if it's no longer found here.