Author Topic: KPOO etc week of 10/1/12  (Read 2623 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO etc week of 10/1/12
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »
2NG's 1978 retro chart ( http://www.umdmusic.com/default.asp?Lang=English&Chart=A&ChDay=30&ChMonth=09&ChYear=1978&ChBand=&ChSong= ) kicks off with Mick Jackson (NOT MJ) and the orig version of "Blame it on the Boogie", which MJ & brothers covered. Confused? The Jacksons version is coming up later at #28.

Forgotten Eurodisco: Patrick Juvet, "Got a Feeling".

I was hoping "Forever Autumn" was in this chart but it had just exited -- and here's Jeff Wayne with a rather uninteresting track from that War of the Worlds LP: "Eve of the War"

eek: a (justifiably) forgotten funk pastiche by Cleveland Eaton (who??), "Bama Boogie Woogie". Followed by another "who??", Child with a godawful cover of "It's Only Make-Believe".  Damn I *love* charts like this.

YAY! Buzzcocks!! OMFG! Cerrone, "Supernature"! OMFG2 Crown Heights Affair, doing better in the UK than they ever did here,  with the fab "Galaxy of Love"

MJ spends the night in 'Frisco. MacCauley brought the Crisco.

Third World make Natty shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot all ovah da place.

UK novelty: Ivor Biggun -- get it? -- with "The Winker's Song (Misprint)" -- get it?

OMFG3: Rezillos, "Top of the Pops" and holee crap, Dean Friedman with "Lucky Stars"

NTM: Herbie Hancock, "I Thought It Was You". Smoove. Also NTM: Leo Sayer "Can't Stop Lovin' You" (NOT the Ray Charles song).

Maybe my fave on this chart: the Motors, lovingly ripping off the GrassRoots' "Sooner or Later" with "Forget About You":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teM93NCEw-g

More disco: Sylvester feels real, Hi-Tension do the British Hustle.

More New Wave: Blondie "Picture This" and Siouxie, "Hong Kong Garden"

wow: "Jilted John" by... Jilted John. Uniquely British. "I was so upset I cried all the way to the chip shop!"

OMGWTFLOL-of-the-Week: David Essex doing "Oh What a Circus" from Evita (he played Che in the London production).

Rose Royce's "Love Don't Live Here" is a nice way to exit (before subjecting myself to 2 Grease hits and the ubiquitous "Dreadlock Holiday".
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:47:14 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO etc week of 10/1/12
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
JJ plays Lydia Pense & Cold Blood! "I'm a Good Woman". And she sure was, honey.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round