Author Topic: 6 Dec 2011: It's... 2002  (Read 12608 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Dec 2011: It's... 2002
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
Naw, man, this was Annalisa unleashed today. Maybe the Menace has settled in a bit and doesn't feel the need to micromanage as much.
I wouldn't go that far. A couple of bustouts mixed in with frequent-fliers (Moby, Beck) and KFOG playlist "hits" (Santana and Petty) don't exactly translate as "unleashed" to me.  ;)
I guess I expect 6-7 more songs in the Santana/Petty vein for any year after '95, so I was pleasantly surprised. I also really like those particular Foo Fighters, Beck, and Moby songs and was happy to go on those frequent flights.  Unleashed Annalisa also isn't necessarily pure 10@10 bliss due to the Grohl fetish among other things. The set just had a distinct Annalisa flavor and didn't seem Constantine-dictated, which is a good thing.
There are some dedicated classic rockers on the FB page, though. I saw one "I only liked Santana and Petty" comment, which was quickly seconded.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
Naw, man, this was Annalisa unleashed today. Maybe the Menace has settled in a bit and doesn't feel the need to micromanage as much.

I wouldn't go that far. A couple of bustouts mixed in with frequent-fliers (Moby, Beck) and KFOG playlist "hits" (Santana and Petty) don't exactly translate as "unleashed" to me.  ;)

I think everyone is just settling in to a Live 105 oldies kind of vibe.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

Which fits my demographic, which is maybe why I liked the set.
Slipping into something

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

And I think that's the kind of thing that DC is going for, whether he's calling the shots or AL is programming the sets herself.

I missed the set this am entirely, and not sure if I'll be able to hear the replay tonight or not. But I see at least four songs on there that make me say "wow, that's digging a bit deeper than what we've been hearing of late." Specifically, Doves, Flaming Lips, Telepopmuzik, and (yes, really) the Petty tune, simply because it never got much love from KFOG even when it was a current. And I really like the tone of that album overall, not just that song. If they have to play 2002, these are the sorts of songs I'd rather be hearing--well, except for the Santana. As TOTHKs go, that one kinda bites.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »

And I think that's the kind of thing that DC is going for, whether he's calling the shots or AL is programming the sets herself.

I missed the set this am entirely, and not sure if I'll be able to hear the replay tonight or not. But I see at least four songs on there that make me say "wow, that's digging a bit deeper than what we've been hearing of late." Specifically, Doves, Flaming Lips, Telepopmuzik, and (yes, really) the Petty tune, simply because it never got much love from KFOG even when it was a current. And I really like the tone of that album overall, not just that song. If they have to play 2002, these are the sorts of songs I'd rather be hearing--well, except for the Santana. As TOTHKs go, that one kinda bites.

I wouldn't go as far as saying AL was unleashed, but this set greatly exceeded my expectations. While the artists Santana and Petty are KFOG Katrinas, their songs played today were not (plus we got to hear Michelle Branch, which apparently doesn't excite anybody else). I don't know if I'd heard "The Last D.J." since 2002.

"Times Like These" may be my favorite Foo song - I obviously don't have the same level of affection for them that AL does, but I am a fan. I would not have expected Telepop Muzik or Flaming Lips. Indeed, I was fearful the likes of Jack Johnson, Counting Crows and Sheryl Crow were going to dominate the set.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »

After spending the weekend in the land of KPIG, I guess I just have to say I don't like the direction KFOG is digging.  I realize others may like it, but it certainly lacks identity.  There's still new music being made that I like, it's not just 60's stuff I go for.  Oh well, I'm less and less feeling a part of this, but who knows?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Ugh.  I get NO goof-off on the internet time at my new joint.  These people don't even take a *real* lunch.  Plus, I have to listen to a quasi-hipster quiet storm Pandora station all freakin' day, to boot (kinda like this Beck song, but for 8 hours straight).  This set is sounding like heaven to me right now! 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:20:48 PM by sundaygal »

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
Ugh.  I get NO goof-off on the internet time at my new joint.
Every day won't be like Sunday from now on, gal.
Slipping into something

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »

This is one thing that I've noticed.  DC and AL do seem to have similar music tastes.  If DC had ideas for where he wanted to take the station then he could have hypothetically enlisted AL as one of his biggest allies.  But dumbing down 10@10 was no way to accomplish this.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as saying AL was unleashed, but this set greatly exceeded my expectations. While the artists Santana and Petty are KFOG Katrinas, their songs played today were not (plus we got to hear Michelle Branch, which apparently doesn't excite anybody else). I don't know if I'd heard "The Last D.J." since 2002.

There's a reason why the Petty song didn't get that much play.  (And not because it was "banned.")  :-X

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »
The Radical Ratings  ;D

Good

A
Telepopmusik (This one actually hit the pop chart for a few weeks)
Doves

B
The Flaming Lips
Santana + Michelle Branch (This is not a bad song, but her solo performance of it, along with the rest of her catalog @ Alice's Summerthing was horrendous.)
Moby
The Flaming Lips
Foo Fighters
Beck

C
The White Stripes

F
Coldplay
Tom Petty (Sorry, "there goes the last DJ, plays what he wants to play, says what he wants to say, hey hey hey" just sounded really stupid back then & hasn't changed by now.)

Necessary

A
Telepopmusik (now this is the type of song that should be on 10@10.)
The Flaming Lips
Doves (This one & the above are from the same vein.  As long as we don't get 10 of these each trip to 2002, they're more than welcome.)
Santana + Michelle Branch (We've gotten just about all the Santana collabs except this one, probably the 2nd biggest after "Smooth" but no one plays it anymore.  Excellent TOTHC, in my opinion.)

B
Beck

C
Moby (While I like this well enough, it didn't need to go 2/2.  Especially since "Extreme Ways" is much better and would have been much more welcome.)
The White Stripes (Not bad bad, but way overrated.)

D
Foo Fighters (Meh, they're quickly becoming as unnecessary as REM.  I'm only giving it a D and not an F because it did rock things out, but so could have about 10000 other songs.)
Tom Petty (Also saved from being a F, because it isn't overplayed.  Then again, there's a reason for that.)

F
Coldplay