Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254695 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Wildly divergent views on the new Broooce CD: Ent Weekly raved (they gave it an "A"), but Joel Selvin has the little man asleep in his chair:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/25/PK2715CR6F.DTL

Of course Selvin didn't think much of Magic either; he called it a "modest return to form".  But he also raises the issue of "Outlaw Pete" sounding like KISS...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
For the Dan Hicks fans: I just got this press release.

DAN HICKS AND THE HOT LICKS ANNOUNCE FIRST LEG OF
U.S ALBUM RELEASE TOUR

THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGWRITER
RELEASES HIS NEW ALBUM, TANGLED TALES, ON MARCH 24th

Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks announce the first leg of his U.S. tour to support his new studio album. Dan's latest CD, Tangled Tales (March 24, 2009 / Surfdog Records), is a brand-new collection of compelling and witty tunes that show why Tom Waits called him "fly, sly, wily, and dry!"

In vintage Dan Hicks form, Tangled Tales mashes the outlaw swing music, insightful charm, and brilliant melodies that have endeared him to audiences and fellow artists for four decades with his signature understated melancholy that could only be born from a creative genius. Featuring a world-class collection of musical talent including instrumental virtuosos David Grisman, Charlie Musselwhite, and slide-guitarist Roy Rogers, and produced by Grammy-winning roots music producer Chris Goldsmith, Tangled Tales delivers 8 great new original tunes that feel like instant Dan Hicks classics (and some choice cover tunes too).

Look for Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks on tour this spring.  The list of currently confirmed dates is as follows:

March 25 Belly Up Tavern Solana Beach CA
March 26 El Rey Theatre Los Angeles CA
March 28 Yoshi's San Francisco CA Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks with Special Guest David Grisman April 03 One Longfellow Square Portland ME
April 04 Bull Run Shirley MA
April 05 Iron Horse Northampton MA
April 06 BB King's Blues Club New York NY
April 07 Turning Point Piermont NY
April 10 Sellersville Theater Sellersville PA
April 11 The State Theater Falls Church VA

Additional dates to be announced.  Visit www.danhicks.net for information and updates.

Tangled Talesis a more-than-worthy addition to Hicks' already massive body of work.  It is an irresistible nod to Dan Hicks' undeniable musical legacy,  and a potent reminder of all of the musical inspiration that this Great American Songwriter has spawned. Revered by and also having collaborated with such legendary artists as Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Bette Midler, Brian Setzer, Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffett, Rickie Lee Jones -- Dan Hicks serves up his unique fashion, attitude and swagger that are embodied in his eccentricity and totally unique sound. His counter-culture appeal, which has twice landed him on the cover of Rolling Stone , has always been rooted in his songwriting. His lyrics have been touted as some of the sharpest-tongued, driest-witted, and subtly hilarious bits of irreverence ever committed to rhyme. He sets these lyrical gems to quirky tunes that trade on a bagful of jazz chords and an irresistible rhythm.

www.danhicks.net
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »
Annalisa played the new U2 single, called something like "Get Your Boots On".  I thought it was a mess, although perhaps not an unholy one. 

But she seemed to like it, and maybe it will grow on me, as I'm usually a pretty big fan.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 28, 2009, 01:27:19 PM »
Annalisa played the new U2 single, called something like "Get Your Boots On".  I thought it was a mess, although perhaps not an unholy one. 

But she seemed to like it, and maybe it will grow on me, as I'm usually a pretty big fan.

very "Pump it up"/"Subterranean Homesick Blues". But hey, if Broooce can steal from KISS...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 29, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »
Heard it again this as the KFOG Morning Show played it and deconstructed it a bit.  Turns out the drummer for Zoo Station is a KFOG employee.

I liked it better, it's got a pretty good groove, still waiting for the lyrics/vocals to grow on me.  But I'm sure I'll hear it a dozen more times in the next few days whether I like it or not, so we'll see.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 29, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
In other new music news, a record was set this week that is pretty much by definition going to be impossible to break.  Kelly Clarkson's new single made the biggest jump to #1 in the history of the Billboard 100 - from #97 last week to #1 this week.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 29, 2009, 10:46:35 AM »
In other new music news, a record was set this week that is pretty much by definition going to be impossible to break.  Kelly Clarkson's new single made the biggest jump to #1 in the history of the Billboard 100 - from #97 last week to #1 this week.

That record's been broken several times in the past 3 years, actually, including about 2 months ago when Britney Spears' "Womanizer" went from 96 to 1.  I don't think it will be long before some luck of the draw lands a song at #100 on airplay alone and then skyrockets to #1 once the iTunes sales kick in (as happened here).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 29, 2009, 11:27:01 AM »

That record's been broken several times in the past 3 years, actually, including about 2 months ago when Britney Spears' "Womanizer" went from 96 to 1.  I don't think it will be long before some luck of the draw lands a song at #100 on airplay alone and then skyrockets to #1 once the iTunes sales kick in (as happened here).

ahhh, I see.  The gal on KKDV who was talking about this during my mornign commute got it wrong when she said that the old record was something like #67 to #1.  Not surprising.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
For you western-swing lovers: Willie Nelson teams up with Asleep @ the Wheel:

http://www.amazon.com/Willie-Wheel-Nelson/dp/B001NKWLDA

Heard some of this on KPFA yesterday; sounded pretty wonderful to my ears, but them I'm a sucker for that sorta thing. They do "Hesitation Blues", which Iknow from the Hot Tuna version in the '70s.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 16, 2009, 12:59:47 AM »
For Tinka (and other Roxy Music fans):

My alter ego's version of "To Turn You On" has been selected for a Roxy tribute album. You can listen to it here for a few days:
http://www.myspace.com/songsofroxymusicrevisited

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 16, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »

My alter ego's version of "To Turn You On" has been selected for a Roxy tribute album. You can listen to it here for a few days:

It's simply fantastic.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:11 AM »

It's simply fantastic.

Indeed, it's fabulous!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #642 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

nice bass line.  You?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:50 PM »

nice bass line.  You?

Thanks, guys! And, no, it isn't me- it's my hot bass player from Vitoria - www.myspace.com/marijoseestivariz 

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #644 on: February 17, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »

nice bass line.  You?

Thanks, guys! And, no, it isn't me- it's my hot bass player from Vitoria - www.myspace.com/marijoseestivariz 

She's good enough for a real bass!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!