Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254783 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #510 on: March 05, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
Duffy, "Mercy": The current UK #1 single is a cross between Lulu, Melanie, and French go-go.

flipped for this at the gym the other day. ok, well, not totally flipped, but i'm waiting for the single to come out on itunes, so i can download it.  but i'll admit - it's probably just because she looks like a cross between judy geeson and nicole kidman, and sounds like marcy levy (as amy winehouse).

p.s. it actually never occurred to me that there would be amy winehouse spinoffs. a spinoff of a spinfoff...isn't that like benson?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:14:09 PM by princessofcairo »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
Duffy, "Mercy": The current UK #1 single is a cross between Lulu, Melanie, and French go-go.

flipped for this at the gym the other day. ok, well, not totally flipped, but i'm waiting for the single to come out on itunes, so i can download it.  but i'll admit - it's probably just because she looks like a cross between judy geeson and nicole kidman, and sounds like marcy levy (as amy winehouse).

p.s. it actually never occurred to me that there would be amy winehouse spinoffs. a spinoff of a spinfoff...isn't that like benson?

it's now known as "Corrine Colbie Feist Syndrome"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 05, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »

http://www.ameliaray.net/orderon.html

My new album is available for presale. Tell everyone you know! Support an independent artist.

Thanks,
poc

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 16, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
First single from new album - BLACKBERRY!

http://www.myspace.com/ameliaray

Howdy! I've posted the first single (unmastered) from the new album, ON. It's called "Blackberry", and it's all about the trouble you might run into if you're trying to step out on your partner using your PDA.

It features the talents of Yoshi - http://www.myspace.com/yoshi360 - and David Starlight - http://www.myspace.com/starlightmusic

Enjoy! And if you haven't already, please pre-order the album - it will help keep independent music alive (or at least help me produce the album)! Thank you,
Amelia Ray

http://www.ameliaray.net/orderon.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 02, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »

it sounds like Amy Whinehouse submitting an audition for the next Austin Powers sndtk.

Thought I'd revive this -- KFOG now has the song in regular rotation. Heard it in the 6am hour today. Methinks this has song-of-the-year (a la "Crazy" or "Hey There Delilah") potential, as well as "OMG I'm so f--ing *sick* of that song" potential.  But right now it sounds fab. 

It's also kinda sad that retro-soul is OK to play on KFOG if you're a (seeming) OHW, but meanwhile Sharon and her Dap-Kings get short shrift from radio.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 02, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »

it sounds like Amy Whinehouse submitting an audition for the next Austin Powers sndtk.

Thought I'd revive this -- KFOG now has the song in regular rotation. Heard it in the 6am hour today. Methinks this has song-of-the-year (a la "Crazy" or "Hey There Delilah") potential, as well as "OMG I'm so f--ing *sick* of that song" potential.  But right now it sounds fab. 

It's also kinda sad that retro-soul is OK to play on KFOG if you're a (seeming) OHW, but meanwhile Sharon and her Dap-Kings get short shrift from radio.

Sadly, I think it's a label-push thing.  SJ&tDK are on an indie, so they can't coerce stations into playing their stuff.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 06, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
couldn't decide what thread to put this in, but Neil Young is finally going Hi-Tech:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=26279

A bold step for a guy who has famously dissed digital sound generally and mp3 in particular.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 24, 2008, 05:53:56 AM »
Strong recommendation for the new Jason Mraz album, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.  Lead single "I'm Yours" deserves to be the laidback jam of the summer.

And wow, soul orchestration is back!  Robin Thicke (we can officially stop calling him "Alan Thicke's son," thanks) is a lot better than he gets credit for, and his new one, "Magic", is knocking me out.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 25, 2008, 10:30:54 PM »
So I'm having dinner last nite at a Thai place in my neighborhood, and they're playing some imitation-Andrews Sisters vocalizing by some female group. Interspersed with the usual big-band-era tunes ("Java Jive", "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", "Jeepers Creepers", etc) were '40s-style covers of "Heart of Glass", "I Will Survive", "Wuthering Heights" (!) and -- best of all -- the Smiths' "Panic" (!!). Hang the deejay, hang the deejay, ooo-wah, ooo-wah! NO IDEA who it was, and the waitstaff couldn't tell me either. 

And BTW, could someone give me a crash course in Alejandro Escovedo?  Stephen King was raving about his song "Castanets" in EW a few weeks ago; KPIG is playing that one, and Little Steven's "Coolest Song in the World" tonite was Escovedo's "Always a Friend" from (I'm assuming) the same CD -- produced by Tony Visconti, of all people..

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 25, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
And BTW, could someone give me a crash course in Alejandro Escovedo?  Stephen King was raving about his song "Castanets" in EW a few weeks ago; KPIG is playing that one, and Little Steven's "Coolest Song in the World" tonite was Escovedo's "Always a Friend" from (I'm assuming) the same CD -- produced by Tony Visconti, of all people..

Oy, where do I start? He's a member of the musical Escovedo family (Pete and Coke are his brothers, Sheila E. is his niece). He played in the SF punk band the Nuns in the 70s, then moved to NY and joined the cowpunk band Rank & File for a time. Then moved to Austin where he formed the True Believers with his brother Javier, and has a solo career since the early 90s, with a side jaunt in the thrash-glam band Buick MacKane. In the late 90s, No Depression Magazine proclaimed him the Artist of the Decade. Yes, they were biased, but yes, he's really good.

Album recommendations: With These Hands (96) is my favorite, with Gravity a close second, but the live More Miles Than Money will give you a better overview of his catalog thru the late 90s. His live show runs the gamut from quiet folkier tunes to stomping rockers, and always a good handful of covers, usually heavy on 70s glam/punk artists: he does a stellar take on Ian Hunter's I Wish I Was Your Mother as well as Irene Wild; I've seen him do several Bowie and Stones songs, and he pretty much always plays the Stooges I Wanna Be Your Dog. (And Buick Mackane was, of course, named for the T. Rex song.) So the association with Visconti is probably his own personal wet dream.

He was on hiatus for several years fighting hepatitis C, but ironically, his illness brought him to the attention of a larger portion of the music business, as well as the public. He seems to have recovered and is enjoying a much more high-profile career resurgence since then. His last album, The Boxing Mirror, is good, and was produced by John Cale. I last saw him at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass a couple years ago, and he just flat out rocked the place.

And his website says he's opening the Dave Mathews Band tour this summer. Again, oy.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 27, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
Rank & File were a veritable supergroup, led by Tony and Chip Kinman, the brothers who previously fronted the leftist punk band The Dils, and featuring Alejandro Escovedo.

Their tune "Amanda Ruth" is one of my absolute fave records of 1982.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »
Did any of you watch American Idol this season?  The winner, David Cook (I keep thinking Dane Cook), places 11 songs on this week's Hot 100 due to digital sales, a record by far, and I'm wondering if I should seek any of them out.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
Did any of you watch American Idol this season?  The winner, David Cook (I keep thinking Dane Cook), places 11 songs on this week's Hot 100 due to digital sales, a record by far, and I'm wondering if I should seek any of them out.

Idol is what's wrong with this country, dammit. I refuse to watch, and when they talk about it on KFOG, I want to scream. The "glorified karaoke" comment i saw the other day (forget who said it) was quite apt.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 30, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
There is a link on the main KBCO page to a the new album of Tom Waits covers by...

...wait for it...

<<<---Scarlett Jo!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:36 AM »
There is a link on the main KBCO page to a the new album of Tom Waits covers by...

...wait for it...

<<<---Scarlett Jo!

Vin Scelsa played a couple of songs from it on his show from last weekend (I heard only the first one). Mike and I commented on it over on the Internet radio thread. But what I heard wasn't too good.
Let's get right to it.