Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 255208 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #1035 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
Who is it that does the dreadful remake of Paula Abdul's not-great-to-begin-with "Straight Up" that I keep hearing? It sounds like it's a rapper who can't actually... y'now... SING. Fingernails on a blackboard.

"Workout" by J. Cole. Yes, it is godawful.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
Interesting (and pessimistic) analysis of rock in 2011 from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/arts/music/rock-in-2011-hot-chelle-rae-foster-the-people-chevelle.html?_r=1

It really was a crappy year in new music!  Or maybe I'm just 40.    ::)  :o

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 01, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/arts/music/rock-in-2011-hot-chelle-rae-foster-the-people-chevelle.html?_r=1

When "MoneyGrabber" is the most exciting 'new' mainstream song of the year (in this writer's humble opinion), there is a lot of validity in the article's thesis. As the author says, saying rock is dead is generally a statement for the lazy, but I suspect that the first 2011 10@10 will be met with groans (as has been the case for pretty much every year past 1989).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 01, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »

When "MoneyGrabber" is the most exciting 'new' mainstream song of the year (in this writer's humble opinion), there is a lot of validity in the article's thesis. As the author says, saying rock is dead is generally a statement for the lazy, but I suspect that the first 2011 10@10 will be met with groans (as has been the case for pretty much every year past 1989).

If KFOG is still doing 10@10 in 2019 (when 2011 should make its first appearance) I'll be gobsmacked.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 02, 2012, 12:04:39 AM »

If KFOG is still doing 10@10 in 2019 (when 2011 should make its first appearance) I'll be gobsmacked.

It pains me to say this, but with the direction it seems to be going (despite AL's best efforts), if 10@10 lasts another three years I will be surprised.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Dept of Redundancy Dept: the most annoying pop lyric of the moment is Selena Gomez's "I love you like a love song, baby". Er, really? not like a funeral dirge?

As unnecessarily repetitive phrases go, it's right up there with Patti Austin's immortal "in the heat of heat, your heat is so hot"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:01 AM »
Dept of Redundancy Dept: the most annoying pop lyric of the moment is Selena Gomez's "I love you like a love song, baby". Er, really? not like a funeral dirge?

As unnecessarily repetitive phrases go, it's right up there with Patti Austin's immortal "in the heat of heat, your heat is so hot"

That reminds me of childhood memories.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
Bonnie Raitt doing a reggae-fied cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line"? WTF? It'll be interesting to see how this one fares on the "new" KFOG. (If ever there was an artist I associate with the "old" KFOG, it's La Raiitt)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1044 on: January 30, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »
Bonnie Raitt doing a reggae-fied cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line"? WTF? It'll be interesting to see how this one fares on the "new" KFOG. (If ever there was an artist I associate with the "old" KFOG, it's La Raiitt)
I really enjoyed this.  For a minute, it sounded like Susan Tedeschi.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »
NTM, tho' it's from their previous album: the Black Keys covering one of my favorite Jerry Butler songs, "Never Gonna Give You Up"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyPBiD2rAg

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 04, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
I like the new songs by Matt Nathanson and Mat Kearney. :-X  ("Room @ the End of the World" & "Ships in the Night," both redeeming efforts after the atrocities known as "Faster" & "Hey Mama.")

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 04, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »

That reminds me of childhood memories.

It reminds me of Troy McClure: "I love you like I love Fresca!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 17, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
Yesterday DC and Renee played a new Counting Crows song that is apparently from an upcoming CC covers album.  :-X  "Untitled (Love Song)" originally by the Romany Rye.  It was one of the worst songs I've ever heard...and I had to call up the station and notify them of that.  They both sounded disappointed.

DC: Oh.  Do you like their other stuff?
Renee: Aww, well, I didn't think it was that bad...

(But, I complimented some of the other new music picks, like Delta Spirit, just so I didn't sound like a 100% downer.  ;D )

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 17, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
Yesterday DC and Renee played a new Counting Crows song that is apparently from an upcoming CC covers album.  :-X  "Untitled (Love Song)" originally by the Romany Rye.  It was one of the worst songs I've ever heard...and I had to call up the station and notify them of that.  They both sounded disappointed.

DC: Oh.  Do you like their other stuff?
Renee: Aww, well, I didn't think it was that bad...

I couldn't help myself.  I just had to look at the rest of the songs on their covers album titled: Underwater Sunshine (Or What We Did On Our Summer Vacation).  Gram Parsons?  Big Star?  Amie??  ARRRRRGH!

"Untitled (Love Song)" by Romany Pye
"Start Again" by Teenage Fanclub
"Hospital" by Coby Brown
"Mercy" by Tender Mercies
"Meet on the Ledge" by Fairport Convention
"Like Teenage Gravity" by Kasey Anderson & The Honkies
"Amie" by Pure Prairie League
"Coming Around" by Travis
"Ooh La La" by The Faces
"All My Failures" by Dawes
"Return of the Grevious Angel" by Gram Parsons
"Four White Stallions" by Tender Mercies