Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250395 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #990 on: August 26, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
I just found out that Belle Brigade, a brother/sister act who are performing in the KFOG playspace today, are the grandchildren of H'wood composer John Williams.  ah, children of privilege...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »
A friend on FB has an ongoing "identify the song from these random lyrics" game and this morning he posted

The band was too slick...And the people were twisted...So I asked her for a date

which you may recognize as being from the Tubes' "Talk To Ya Later".  I didn't at first, and when I Googled, I discovered that Richard Marx did a cover version of the song (!). I can't even begin to imagine how horrid that must be...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 31, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »
Honestly, I thought it was a joke: a new Dead box that is a (get this!) 73-disc set!. Geoff?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_18791339

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #993 on: August 31, 2011, 09:25:28 PM »
Honestly, I thought it was a joke: a new Dead box that is a (get this!) 73-disc set!. Geoff?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_18791339

This has been happening for quite a while now, and quite sold out too.  I will not be getting one, but this tour was, for many, about as good as it got.  There's not enough time in the remainder of my life to hear all these CD's!  As it is, I've been really digging subscribing, for free, to DeadPod, which sends out a live set every week.

http://deadshow.blogspot.com/

As it is, I'm about 4 to 6 weeks behind in listening to these!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 11, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Doris Day has become the oldest artist to score a UK Top 10 with an album featuring new material, according to the Official Charts Company.  Day's My Heart has gone in at number nine, 62 years after the 87-year-old's debut album was released in the US.  My Heart is a selection of recordings produced by her son, Terry Melcher, before his death in 2004.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14870590

BBC Radio 4-min podcast with Doris Day on her secrets of happiness and being America's "girl next door"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9567000/9567248.stm

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 12, 2011, 09:22:39 AM »
NTM: Bob played the Herman's Hermits version of "Kind of Hush" this morning and mentioned that it was a cover of a New Vaudeville Band song! (why didn't I know that?). NVB of course were famous for "Winchester Cathedral" but founder Geoff Stephens also wrote things like "The Crying Game" in 1964 (which gave the 1992 movie its title) and "Daughter of Darkness" for Tom Jones. Who knew?

anyway, here's the NVB's orig version, which is rather nice, considering "Catherdral" is on a lot of folks' Jukebox From Hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpjCpKL_dxU

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 12, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
I just found out that Belle Brigade, a brother/sister act who are performing in the KFOG playspace today, are the grandchildren of H'wood composer John Williams.  ah, children of privilege...

Yeah, but they're still damned good, regardless of the pedigree. (Dad was also a movie/TV composer, great grandfather and other relatives worked as professional drummers, so says Wikipedia).

I bought the MP3s of their album (before I saw my local Borders had it at a fire-sale price of < $5. Damnit), and have been playing it to death. Solid stuff -- really great harmonies. I missed the Playspace performance and forgot to record the subsequent rebroadcast at 6:30AM Monday. Wish I knew somebody at KFOG to bribe to get those tapes.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 12, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
Reposted from my Facebook:

Must. Stop. Shopping. At. Borders. Fire. Sale. (Sadly, they're closing Wednesday, but that is good news for my wallet. On the other hand, I don't think I spent more than $60 for all of these CDs.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:10 PM »
Reposted from my Facebook:

Must. Stop. Shopping. At. Borders. Fire. Sale. (Sadly, they're closing Wednesday, but that is good news for my wallet. On the other hand, I don't think I spent more than $60 for all of these CDs.)

Nice!!!  Which Borders?  I've been to the Sunnyvale & Palo Alto a few times in the past weeks.  Here's my stash:

All of which were $3-$6.  (Though honestly -- $6 for a CD doesn't sound like a great deal anymore, just a good deal.)  It took awhile to get down to this price point, too -- since most list prices are $13.99-$18.99, they weren't really worth buying until they hit 60%.  I picked up a few of these in Sunnyvale @ 80% off this afternoon (also saw the Belle Brigade CD)...it closes for good Wednesday at noon. :-\

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 13, 2011, 05:56:29 AM »
Ludo - that is worth a LOL.

For a long time, I would use Borders as my source for new music by employing their listening stations. Regrettably keeping the headphones operable was never a priority for the store. Still, it is sad to see them go.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
All of which were $3-$6.  (Though honestly -- $6 for a CD doesn't sound like a great deal anymore, just a good deal.)  It took awhile to get down to this price point, too -- since most list prices are $13.99-$18.99, they weren't really worth buying until they hit 60%.  I picked up a few of these in Sunnyvale @ 80% off this afternoon (also saw the Belle Brigade CD)...it closes for good Wednesday at noon. :-\

Ah, we probably crossed paths. :-}  Yeah, I wasn't happy buying at 60% off, but I really wanted that Buddy Holly tribute, as I'd already sampled most of the tracks online. Oh, and I also bought Steven Page's Page One, and Dar William's Many Great Companions at less than great pricing.

Yeah, saw the Belle Brigade CD too -- but I already bought the MP3s from Amazon a few weeks ago. It's really good.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
All of which were $3-$6.  (Though honestly -- $6 for a CD doesn't sound like a great deal anymore, just a good deal.)  It took awhile to get down to this price point, too -- since most list prices are $13.99-$18.99, they weren't really worth buying until they hit 60%.  I picked up a few of these in Sunnyvale @ 80% off this afternoon (also saw the Belle Brigade CD)...it closes for good Wednesday at noon. :-\

Ah, we probably crossed paths. :-}  Yeah, I wasn't happy buying at 60% off, but I really wanted that Buddy Holly tribute, as I'd already sampled most of the tracks online. Oh, and I also bought Steven Page's Page One, and Dar William's Many Great Companions at less than great pricing.

Yeah, saw the Belle Brigade CD too -- but I already bought the MP3s from Amazon a few weeks ago. It's really good.

When Tower Records went out of business a few years back, I went in during their 70% off sale and picked up some things on a lark/whim, like this:

so .. uh, YEAH.... I also know how it feels to score some
really good music at a great price.  (I really do own it, btw.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:32:39 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 13, 2011, 04:31:31 PM »
This conversation could eventually lead to an awesome mix disc: "Crap I picked up for no apparent reason".

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 13, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
This conversation could eventually lead to an awesome mix disc: "Crap I picked up for no apparent reason".

I used to get off the wall stuff from Columbia House -- 10 or 15 albums for a penny!  You'd always run out of things you really wanted at about 7 or 8, and then take flyers on a couple of albums.  That's how I ended up with Skylarking, which I would never have checked out otherwise (not that it's off the wall, but it wasn't on my radar), and I grew to love it.  It often worked out, but not always, especially if you forgot to cancel at your earliest convenience... those things were traps, and you had to be vigilant.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »
This came out of nowhere (and a bit of a TANC, given the recent "fave Stevie Wonder songs" thread).  Heard this version of Stevie's "All I Do" this morning, thought it was kinda nice and was gobsmacked to discover it was by... Wayne Brady!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WlHkLTBhI