Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250457 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #915 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Black Eyed Peas (Who are those useless people on stage with Fergie?)

I'm hoping that there's a massive tune-out during halftime at the Super Bowl when the Slack-Jawed Fleas take the stage.  Remember when In Living Color did their alternative halftime special (back when SB HT *really* sucked)? And they really did put a dent in the ratings; it was right after that, that the networks began lobbying for better halftime artists, and they got them. But that was a case of "hip, young" people making fun of SuperBowl old-fogey-ism.  This year I think somebody (TVLand?) should do an alt-halftime thing for everyone over 40.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Annoying List (2010 Edition)
« Reply #916 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
As promised...next up on my year-end-lists for 2010, it's the The Annoying List!   

14. Willow - Whip My Hair
I don't really have the stomach to listen to nine year olds singing about whipping anything... ::)

Holy crap -- Sorry to have been out-of-the-loop, but I just found out that Willow is the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Dykette-Smith (and sis of Karate Kid remake star Jaden).  Whenthehell do these kids go to school?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 30, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »
As promised...next up on my year-end-lists for 2010, it's the The Annoying List!   

Thanks! I've only heard songs #13, #14, #15 and #45, and I can agree with you. Except for the Vampire Weekend song, maybe. I don't remember the song, but I generally like their stuff. I'll have to give it another listen.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 01, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
Who or what is Lykke Li, just heard on KFOG doing a really annoying song called "Get Some" - "ah'm yo' prostitute/you gon' get some" WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 02, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
Little Steven's "coolest song" this week... "The Roller" by Beady Eye, who are (more or less) Oasis without Neil Gallagher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJhpiByqIoo

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 07, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
Ben L'Oncle Soul gives that all-time HFH "Barbie Girl" a complete makeover. The more I hear of this guy the more I like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSGPaOPjC4

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
NTM: the original version of "Yo-Yo", by Billy Joe Royal --in 1967, 4 years before the Osmonds hit with their cover. "Whoops, now!" makes more sense than "Whoot, nah" or whatever it is Merrill screams in the O-boys version.  Props to Joe South for writing it; sounds, from this take, like he was aiming for a Marvin Gaye, "Hitch-hike" kinda thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6kbFhSxpmY
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 12:31:54 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 08, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
KFOG just played a song with lyrics about "peanut butter pudding surprise" -- turns out it's "Highly Suspicous" by My Morning Jacket. I assumed it's new but it's... over 2 years old? WTF?

And speaking of food-related lyrics, is there really a song out right now about "mac'n'cheese sticks" or "mackin' cheesesteak" or something? I keep hearing it ait the gym on that godawful 92.7 The Rev station.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:11:38 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
Someone here (Gaz?) was saying nice things about R Kelly recently and I kinda brushed it off; his tabloid escapades have always overshadowed his music, and the latter is rather ... excessive, IMHO.  But I'm in the car just now and KPOO played this song "When a Woman Loves (She Loves For Real)" -- a very old-school Otis Redding-ish thing -- and I'm going, "who *IS* this?" and lo, it's Mr K.  He overdoes it a bit at the end, but DAY-um! Impressive.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 15, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »
The new music nights seem to have gotten weirder and weirder, although I'm not complaning.  I wonder if this Rockwell guy is deciding what to play now.  In the past week we've gotten Orbital and the Crystal Method featuring Matisyahu, and now he's playing some weird dubstep song that sounds like the chipmunks trying to emulate a computer blowing up.  Some of the songs are a little less "new" too (i.e. I'm hearing a lot more songs from the past 3-4 years.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 16, 2011, 09:35:27 AM »
The new music nights seem to have gotten weirder and weirder, although I'm not complaning.  I wonder if this Rockwell guy is deciding what to play now. 

I'm guessing he may have inherited Kelly Ransford's Music Directorship, at least temporariily. Or maybe "Rockwell" and new PD Dennis Constantine are the same person?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 18, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
KFOG's playing that new Shawn Mullins, "Light You Up" -- sounds like Mullins doing an Everlast imitation.  Put your 'light you up' on!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 03, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »
Just heard Scelsa play something from the new G.Love album, produced by the Avett Bros.

http://philadelphonic.com/archives/buzzine_raves_over_g._loves_new_album_fixin_to_die/

Be interesting to see if it gets any KFOG play, him being a local fave and all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 08, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
Just heard this on Vin Scelsa's show, and it's instantly my new favorite lyric. This belongs on KFOG, for sure (yeah, lotsa luck). Thea Gilmore, "You're the radio":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmB1_DgihQ

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:06 AM »