Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254619 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #900 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:24 AM »

5. KINK Live 13
Live AAA sampler here, this one from KINK/Portland, OR.  Features some of the more quirky AAA tracks (i.e. Hockey "Song Away," ALO "Big Appetite" as well as new tracks by moderately-to-solidly established artists that don't get love from too many other samplers, for some reason (Howie Day, Jamie Cullum, Bruce Hornsby)

2. KBCO Studio C, Vol. 22
Second and final AAA sampler on this list, from KBCO/Denver (sorry KFOG, LFtA 17 didn't make it; try harder & include better tracks next year!) features some from the more alternative side of things (i.e. Broken Bells, Phoenix, Moby) as well as a few stunning combinations (Ben Gibbard/Jay Farrar and John Hiatt/Lyle Lovett)

Don't remember if you were with us when both KINK and KBCO were doing their own versions of 10@10; both were quirky and interesting and we miss them.

I don't think I was here, but I now that you mention it do remember hearing a KBCO 10@10 years ago when I was on a train that went through Denver. (I used to take train trips cross country fairly frequently & always brought my walkman -- listening to the radio stations from everywhere was the high point :) )  The year was 1993 and I remembered hearing Deep Forest, John Hiatt, and some others.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 08, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
It seems with each passing year, I listen to new music less and less.  This year, I can't even come up with a year-end Top 10 list, so I'll provide a Top 5:

1. Best Coast - Crazy For You (Girl Group sound with the following subject matter: boys, pot & cats.  'Nuff said!)
2. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (1/4 Blur mixed with 1/2 Clash & shake well)
3. Vampire Weekend - Contra (Um, Preppy Calypso...?)
4. Beach House - Teen Dream (think Siouxsie meets Cocteau Twins meets Mazzy Star and you'll get the gist)
5. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (OK, I admit I haven't listened to the whole album, per se - but I had a WTF/this is freakin' amazing! moment when a friend was playing it recently.)

Good picks :)  I esp. like Gorillaz (almost made my Top 10) & the Arcade Fire.   I have heard a few singles from Best Coast and Beach house but am not familiar with the entire album.  Vampire Weekend is hit or miss with me, although I do love "Giving Up the Gun."

This year I made a Top 10, though barely.  There were about 14 albums I liked enough to put on a list, though to keep some sense of "best of" felt it was best to round down to 10. Here's my list! :)

10. The Hold Steady - Heaven is Whenever
No attempts to be abstract or pretentious here; just straight up rock.

9. Jack Johnson - To the Sea
Jack Johnson drops the child's movie soundtrack nonsense (Curious George) and the political crap (Sleep Through the Static) and returns to what he does best, which is making thoughtful songs about life and the characters that are dear to us as well as those that push our buttons.  In typical JJ style, too; his message:words ratio is through the roof.

8. The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Concept album portraying the melancholy of many of us who grew up in cush, cozy suburbs actually pulls it off quite well.

7. Against Me! - White Crosses
Part expectedly childish punk, part amazingly mature life retrospective, all catchy and worth a listen.

6. Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
Another concept album here, this one a bit more severe being that it pertains to doomsday, but at least it isn't nonsense; the real high point, though, is the instrumentals; Linkin Park dives into a variety of new soundscapes, some of which work better than others, but the best of which are brilliant aned all of which form a perfectly cohesive album and inevitably introduce these types of sounds to alternative radio, as they get automatic airplay given juggernaut that Linkin Park has become.

5. KINK Live 13
Live AAA sampler here, this one from KINK/Portland, OR.  Features some of the more quirky AAA tracks (i.e. Hockey "Song Away," ALO "Big Appetite" as well as new tracks by moderately-to-solidly established artists that don't get love from too many other samplers, for some reason (Howie Day, Jamie Cullum, Bruce Hornsby)

4. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - History of Modern
Don't know where they were when the 80s revival was hot, but 14 years after their last album they're back and musically as astute as ever with a few clever uses of samples.  Vocals aren't great, but was that ever their strong point anyway?  Recommended tracks: "Sister Marie Says," "Pulse."  

3. The National - High Violet
I'm still mad at them for re-releasing their album with bonus tracks after I had bought it right when it came out ( ::) ) but I can't deny this is one helluva album.  His voice is a little too deep to make me think that he isn't trying too hard, but it works and in tracks like "Bloodbuzz Ohio" and "Conversation 16" you can feel a poor jaded soul.

2. KBCO Studio C, Vol. 22
Second and final AAA sampler on this list, from KBCO/Denver (sorry KFOG, LFtA 17 didn't make it; try harder & include better tracks next year!) features some from the more alternative side of things (i.e. Broken Bells, Phoenix, Moby) as well as a few stunning combinations (Ben Gibbard/Jay Farrar and John Hiatt/Lyle Lovett)

1. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Groovy electro act that manages to be fun and quirky without having too many pretentious influences or being over-the-top, and plenty of 6+ minute songs well worth the time.  Skip "Drunk Girls" but the rest of the album's a winner.  

Next up...the year-end Annoying List!  The 25 (or 50, depending on how many I can pull up) most annoying, obnoxious, irritating, and/or just plain bad songs of the year with biting sardonic commentary.  And don't worry, that Train song we all love is definitely going to hold a place of honor in the list ;)  

Excellent commentary - thanks!  I'm overdue in checking out the Arcade Fire, which other friends and colleagues have touted as well.  Re the KINK comp, which Bruce Hornsby song did they choose.  My roommate is a huge fan, and I quite enjoyed "Hot House Ball" and "Swing Street" from his latest.

And I'm fascinated to learn that OMD put a new album out!  I remember back in '97, Live 105 briefly put their "Walking on the Milky Way" in rotation and it's remained an all-time fave of mine.  I'll have to check this out too.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 08, 2011, 10:18:41 PM »
Excellent commentary - thanks!  I'm overdue in checking out the Arcade Fire, which other friends and colleagues have touted as well.  Re the KINK comp, which Bruce Hornsby song did they choose.  My roommate is a huge fan, and I quite enjoyed "Hot House Ball" and "Swing Street" from his latest.

And I'm fascinated to learn that OMD put a new album out!  I remember back in '97, Live 105 briefly put their "Walking on the Milky Way" in rotation and it's remained an all-time fave of mine.  I'll have to check this out too.

The Hornsby song is "In the Low Country" from his 2009 release w/ the Noisemakers. 

Re: OMD.  Was just browsing the aisles at Borders one day and lo and behold, there it was!  I almost skipped over it too as the design and text is in the style of all previous albums and reissues, but it was in fact brand new.  This was kind of odd as usually I manage to hear about upcoming CDs from washed up 80s bands, many of which never end up getting finished (such as the new Psychedelic Furs CD that was supposed to be out 2 or 3 years ago.)  Live 105 played that song?!?!?  Hmm, I guess there's no chance of them playing it now, although it sounds like a good request next time AL goes to 1997! :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:26:42 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 14, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
NTM and my Discovery of the Week: a Beatlesque '60s relic called "Soda Pop Man" by The Back Alley -- this could easily pass for one of the '60s parodies from Spinal Tap.

http://poppacool.blogspot.com/2010/10/back-alley-soda-pop-man.html
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Paging Sundaygal! This sounds like it could be really cool, or could be a mess. In any case, have to applaud her for the meticulous effort this took:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/15/PKJB1H4O42.DTL&type=music
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Paging Sundaygal! This sounds like it could be really cool, or could be a mess. In any case, have to applaud her for the meticulous effort this took:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/01/15/PKJB1H4O42.DTL&type=music

Whoa.  Now, that's dedication!  Without Marr's guitar though, I'm a bit leery...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 20, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »
Last nite just before 10@10 I heard a Feist-like woman on KFOG doing a cover of H&O's "I Can't Go For That". Anybody know who it is?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 20, 2011, 08:31:19 AM »
Last nite just before 10@10 I heard a Feist-like woman on KFOG doing a cover of H&O's "I Can't Go For That". Anybody know who it is?

Is it this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUl8DC_yQ6g

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »

Is it this?

yup, that's it! Thanks. It's nice, but seriously: are there ANY women left who *don't* sound like Feist? The idea that there are all these singers seemingly going out of their way to sound EXACTLY LIKE 27 OTHER WOMEN is just ridiculous to me.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #909 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »
Yeah, I heard it too!  Normally, when I tune in just before the replay, I hear totally unfamiliar music.  This time, at least it was a cover of a song I knew!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »

Is it this?

yup, that's it! Thanks. It's nice, but seriously: are there ANY women left who *don't* sound like Feist? The idea that there are all these singers seemingly going out of their way to sound EXACTLY LIKE 27 OTHER WOMEN is just ridiculous to me.

They (The Bird and The Bee) did a lot of H&O covers (Sara, Rich Girl..)

I like Kiss Is On My List
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7rExwCkRYI

~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Annoying List (2010 Edition)
« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
As promised...next up on my year-end-lists for 2010, it's the The Annoying List!   ;D  What happens when you round up the worst of the worst, stick em all in one list...along with scathing commentary from yours truly.  ;)

50. Plain White T's - Rhythm of Love
I hope their love has better rhythm than this song.  Hella off.  Besides, they already tried the wannabe-cutesie anthem with "1, 2, 3, 4" with similarly disastrous results.

49. Colbie (McFish) Faillat - I Never Got the Memo that my 15 Minutes of Fame Is Up
And really, her 15 minutes of fame expired after "Bubbly" was played 5 times and now what we're left with is the music equivalent of Target $4 generics.

48. Katy Perry - Firework
"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind? Well, I guess songwriting's never been Katy Perry's strong point." -Mix 106.5 DJ on air

47. Escape the Fate - Issues
Well, I certainly didn't escape the fate of hearing this disaster or the issues (ba-dam ching!) they're getting overly hoarse about.

46. Kevin Rudolf - I Made It
Newsflash: having a pretty standard (complete w/ rapper) Top Ten hit with a #25 followup does NOT mean that you "made it."  Now go away.

45. Sade - Soldier of Love
Instead of "Sade," this time we'll call her "SoldOut" because that's what she sounds like here & even confirms it by getting a hip-hopper to (c)rap all over this.  For a normally reliable artist that we haven't heard from in way too long, this is an utter disappointment.

44. Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes - Home
I really tried to like this, but I just couldn't come to terms with the fact that it's not that great to begin with compounded by the fact that every single thing about this is as generic hipster as you possibly get.  You have the guy and the girl alternating parts, the muted overpolished effect they put on the instrumentals, and the stupid fake kinda Southern accent because OMG-it's-so-cool-for-us-hipsters-to-actually-like-music-from-Jesusland, and almost finally, the asininely asinine band name.  But that's not all folks, for Chrissakes Edward Sharpe looks like a hipster Jeezus! ::)

43. Train - Marry Me
No thanks.  Why would you ask someone to marry you today and every day anyway, wouldn't get be kind of expensive? ::)  The song isn't good enough to justify the hyperbole esp. since apparently he admits it's just some girl he saw at a cafe.  It also makes me worry that his previous two singles were written about said girl too in which case qualifies as obsessive stalkerdom.

42. Shinedown - The Crow & the Butterfly
Not really sure why this needed to exist.  I just find the idea of the singer of this kind of a screamy song comparing him and a girl to a crow and a butterfly kind of stupid & I'm as pained listening to this as the girl in the video from :45-:47 looks.

41. XXXTina Aguilera - Not Myself Tonight
She's back with more of the same reasons why we here @ the Annoying List don't prefer X. Aguilera in general, as well as many of the reasons why we don't prefer new-ish pop music in general.  And unsurprisingly, she excels in neither.  So in other words this is a perfect watered-down updated piece of Agarbaguilera.

40. Kanye West & the New Dumb@$$ Coalition - Monster
Another huge disappointment considering I don't have less than a slightly unfavorable opinion on any of these people.  This song might as well be a bad parody of itself considering the result sounds like a gaggle of honking geese being strangled.  Rhyming "Sri Lanka" with "Willy Wonka" would have been clever if she would have tried to make an attempt at either of those making sense in context.  Speaking of, none of the rest of the song make much sense either, talking about Pharoahs, Achilles, Vampires, Godzilla, Mosters, etc, presumably in the context of one big orgy. 

39. Jason DeRulo - Whatcha Say
This wasn't too good or radio-friendly when Imogen Heap did it, and it's certainly not now so I'm not sure how Jason DeRulo gets a #1 pop $hit with this. ::)  Even then, I would have given him credit for realizing she exists had this not set off a trend that never should have existed and in 5 years will sound as ridiculous as leg-warmers and bell-bottoms looked five years after they started.

38. Sheryl crow - Summer Day
She ain't 16 and she ain't Graceland, stop trying to be both!!!!! ::)

37. The Smashing Pumpkins - Freak
Billy Corgan continues his descent by filling our ears with what sounds like a record skipping and nothing that made the Smashing Pumpkins the Smashing Pumpkins, save his voice which just sounds overly whiny here.  Before this he never needed permission to start trying again; now I'm not so sure.

36. Lady Antebellum - I Run to You
Proving that most country crossovers aren't capable of having more than one good song in a row.  I run too fast, I run from pessimism, I run from pain, I run, you run, we run, yadi-yada-yada... *yawn*.  I run from this song.  (How about that, Lady Antebellum?)

35. Muse - Uprising
First single from an otherwise solid album sounds like a bad outtake from a Dungeons & Dragons B-movie soundtrack, and also proves why everything is wrong with everything as this manages to be their biggest pop & Hot AC hit to date and lasts over a year on the alt. charts, getting in the way of their other songs that are actually good.

34. Broken Bells - The Ghost Inside
Makeup of the band is a perfect example of the "sum of the parts" being greater than the whole. Their first attempt was bland and uninspired; this one, in addition to being both of those, is whiny and annoying, the line about the daughter being a stoner makes no sense and the entire song being sung in falsetto doesn't work either. (Addendum: I looked up the official lyrics and the daughter is a "star tonight".  WTF, that's not what he says in the song.  Still doesn't make much more sense, but if he really meant he should have enunciated!!! ::) )

33. Ingrid Michaelson - Parachute
Generic bland girl with no potential, meet choppy intro and beat that ruins most songs.  Bland girl + choppy beat, meet Annoying List.

32. Britney Spears - 3
Was this really supposed to shock anyone?  Seriously, at the rate she's been going to get to here, and yet a 14-year-old one-hit-wonder one upped her nine years ago.  Besides, Britney Spears, if all the boys and all the girls are begging to if you seek a-you, then why was "3" the best you could do?  Why not like "8"? or "19"? :P

31. Jesse McCartney - McShake
A-T & the word "shawty" ( ::). ) give Jesse McCartney's career a second chance at life when it didn't even deserve a first.  But hey, we now have the McShake and the McFish; all we need are some fries. :-X

30. Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone
Ten seasons later Kelly Clarkson has beyond worn out her welcome.  Makes song after song that are "different" enough to make her say that she's trying something new, but not "different" enough to actually be new, especially since it's usually just one element per song, which ends up being annoying.  In this case she puts a shrill, whiny effect on her voice & places it in a stasis field throughout the song, so her voice ends up being what it would sound like if you tapped an organ pedal and it got stuck.  ::) She needs to just shut up already.

29. Pearl Jam - The Fixer
"When something's ____, I wanna put a little/a bit ____(Opposite of previous blank) here." Multiply by about twelve and throw in a dozen "yeah's" for the chorus, and you essentially have the long-awaited return of Pearl Jam.  Deep. ::)  Band who's reached "immortal status" by recycling the same song for the past two decades now reaches a new lyrical low.

28. Cage the Elephant - Shake Me Down
A band that has not been around this long and has never been good to begin with does not deserve to automatically make it anywhere near the top (or top 3, at least...close enough) and especially not with garbage like this that sounds like an Atari threw up.

27. Rihanna - Hard
Saying "Yeah" 26 times before the song has even started (with a few "ah"s thrown in between) is not a way to start off a wannabe tough-girl anthem or make one "hard."  There is nothing in the rest of the song to back up her assertion either and all we're left with is 4 minutes of this nonsense.

26. Black Eyed Peas - The Time
This one is pretty horrible, for all the reasons one could possibly think of (I'll elaborate more next year), but is only at #26 because it was released too late in the year to sink in.  I'm trying to hold it off but losing so this (un)fortunately means it'll be a shoe-in for next year's.

25. The Ready Set - Love Like Woe
Unnecessary and incompetent nod to Mya who had one of the worst songs of the past decade (which, I had actually managed up until I heard this to forget that it existed...thanks a lot, The Ready Set ::) ) full of WTF rhymes ("undeniable/unreliable, boulevard/shooting star, intuition/superstitious, face/face") and vocals, message, and music on the annoying side of "as generic as you could possibly get."  The video is pretty dumb, too.

24. Ke$ha - We R Who We R
I've even give Ke$ha a pass just for being so ridiculous and not being able to take herself seriously enough, but her using this song to cash in on the trend does more to feed stereotypes than anything else...except for maybe screw with our eardrums.  At least KP legitimately tried with the (albeit horrendous) "Firework."  But this is inappropriate, inexcusable, and uncalled for.

23. Usher - Hey Daddy (Daddy's home)
Just hearing phrases like "get some," "bottom up" within the first 30 seconds of a song called "Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home)" is going to be a recipe for automatic disaster.  And of course he continues to go on about doing a "lot of sexing" and "work that chair", etc etc...how crass.  That being said, this actually has potential but due to ridiculousness but stops just short of being "so bad that it's funny." 

22. Sean Kingston/Justin Bieber - Eenie Meenie
What the hell is an "eenie-meenie-miney-mo" lover?  And who is "shawty" referring to this time?  Oh, and uhh...it really sounds like Bieber is singing the girl's part here.

21. Will.im.not ft. Notckool Minaj - Check It Out
A perfect example of why sampling just because you can is a preposterous idea.  Nicki Minaj is not as clever as she thinks she is & neither is will.i.am.

20. The Dead Weather - Die by the Drop
This choppy, obnoxious piece of megaoveramplified static makes me want to put my stereo on the chopping block.  That, and Jack White sounds like a possum who got caught in a cabbage shredder.

19. Justin Bieber - Baby
How ironic that he keeps on saying "baby, baby, baby" because...that's what he sounds like here & in all the rest of his songs. :-X  Sappy and unbelievable.

18. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Oversinging does her no good in this instance, especially when she repeats syllables that are typically not accentuated for a reason, i.e. "ra ra" & the lame attempt to mask yelling out her name "ga ga" as opposed to "la la," which she throws in near the end of the chorus but too little too late; it's already overkill.

17. Florence & the Machine - Dog Days Are Over
This is what you get when you take a tired old cliche and wrap it around a recording of a daycare center's music class, and then get Florence to bleat like a goat on top of this cacophonous mess.  No thanks.

16. Blackeyed Peas - Imma Be
What the hell is an "Imma Be"?  Well, whatever it is, he doesn't have to start the song off with it 30 times. Vocals are dumb. Harmony is nonexistent. Instrumentals are weak. "Song" is garbage.

15. Vampire Weekend - Cousins
Self-important geneaology dig obviously written to make those who can't or don't care to decipher what this is feel smart, with similarly pretentious yet generic instrumentals.

14. Willow - Whip My Hair
I don't really have the stomach to listen to nine year olds singing about whipping anything... ::)

13. Lady Gaga w/ Beyonce - Telephone
If this was going to come from "Monster" one reason why that addendum never should have seen the light of day.  L. Gaga, given her propensity for drama (i.e. Bad Romance) purposely ignores the idea of number blocking just so she can duet with the most annoying, talentless singer in the world and the results are predictably disastrous.   

12. Pearl Jam - Just Breathe
Ridiculously droll lyrical content as their previous single with the added demerit of it being 15 years too late for them to try something new.  Eddie Vedder's not suited to delicate ballads...or any other song for that matter.

11. Rihanna - Rude Boy
Schizo can't decide whether or not she wants to be sub or dom using nothing less than explicit, pedestrian language and elementarily graphic details.  Quite the stylish one, Rihanna. ::)

10. OneeskimO - Kandi
Unknown concept bands are not supposed to pull shenannigans with their band names.  Besides it seemed like they just sampled Candi Station so they could say they did, and then quickly dummied up a song about getting cheated on around it, but didn't take into account that both Candi and themselves both sound like guys and girls.  Seriously I can't figure out who's singing which part, which moves this down a few notches from "weak" to "horrendous."

9. Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted
Still doesn't get it, except now she's recycling ideas.  We already heard her squealing like a pig getting his balls cut off ("Since U Been Gone") & here she goes again, we already heard her singing about painfully generic subject matter (everything else by her, except perhaps "Breakaway").  It's not ignorable anymore.

8. Crash Kings - Mountain Man
I've finally accepted that the instrumentals are worthwhile.  But I can't get over how the lead singer sounds like Jack White sticking his finger in an electrical socket (and that's on top of what Jack White already sounds like; see #20) and this is one of the stupidest and most offensively idiotic songs ever written to boot, period, about sitting on a girl's boobs and getting a bj perhaps all while drinking a beer too.  Classy, Crash Kings. ::) --  How else are you supposed to interpret "I'm sitting here on top of a mountain, she's rocking my valleys down below"?

7. Katy Perry - California Gurls
There's no reason she (or anyone else) needed to sing this, though if she would hurry up and actually find something that suits her then that might help.  Flagrant misspelling the titles isn't cool (except when something's so stupid it's funny, a la "Hot in Herre") & everything, including that, is as generic as annoyingly formulaic & just plain annoying as can be except for the line that isn't hers, but She Wants Revenge called; they want their popsicle back. :P

6. Usher ft. Will-i-am-not-cool - OMG
"OhMyGodIDidItAgain!!!" Well, it unfortunately looks like he did.  Stupid repititive lyrics, ("Baby let me love you down, there's so many ways to love you") Stupid similies ("bootie like pow pow pow"), stupid rhymes ("dynamite...outta sight"), stupid wannabe anthemic cheering all over...and don't even get me started on the autotune. (And who is this "shawty" that everyone keeps on falling in love with? ::) ) Worst thing he's done since "Yeah!".

5. Beyonce - Sweet Dreams
Unacceptably singsongy whininess over three and a half minutes of instrumentals that sound like a bug getting stepped on.  The schpeel with turning the lights on is a lame attempt to validate what she can't decide whether or not is a legitimate fantasy.

4. Pink - Raise Your Glass
Attempts to pass of a song about shameless partying as an anthem for people who don't fit in (see; Ke$ha @ 24.)  Nice try...not.  But this one makes no attempt at having any structure whatsoever and amounts to nothing more than sloppy drunken gibberish.  The hook is three words sing-yelled out in succession in the exact same key and pitch, omfg P!nk aren't U clever. ::)   

3. Sara Paralysis - King of Anything
Singing about how her inability to communicate justifies her lashing out at people who have opinions that don't line up 100% with hers...and then using that to justify her slamming her hands down on seemingly random keys and passing that off as music.  What a perfect theme song. ::) Next time, keep your anger management answers to yourself, Sara Baralieses.

2. Train - Hey Soul Sister
Beginning this off by obnoxiously accentuating a syllable of the word "Hey" (or is it "a"? ::) ), you'd think that from there it could only get better.  But no, it falls even deeper into the next level of dumpsterdom with mind-numbingly atroctious pop culture references and catch phrases placed to rhyme at the most unopportune times (Soul Sister/Mr. Mister, and just about every other line too.)  If that weren't bad enough, they sock it full of underlying tones of "Meet Virginia" in a desperate attempt to latch onto any pre-Their Private Nation credibility that died long ago.  The musical equivalent of complete toxic sewage.

1. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
I can't even begin to describe the number of things wrong with this mother-of-everything-that's-wrong-with-everything-wreck-of-a-song but we'll try.  First --- EWWW I don't need to hear her singing about underage sex multiple times a day. ::)  Second, there's her lame attempt at emulating a teenager's first sexing by putting a fake orgasm undertone in her voice throughout the song & it'd be laughably bad if it weren't so damn annoying.  Third, why the hell does Katy Perry think she should sing about her own skintight jeans in the first place.  Who knew Katy Perry (or anyone, really) was capable of a this kind of monstrosity!!!  >:(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
Yay for R347! So glad to see so many songs I hate on that list, esp Florence & the Machine -- I read nothing but gushing praise for them, everywhere (particularly from Fogheads on Facebook) and I Just. Don't. Get. It.  Yet another Feist-alike, fronting a band. And I've mentioned in another thread that I've heard the Kei$ha song a billion times in the last couple weeks because 92.7 The Rev plays it every 25 minutes.

I *do* like the One Eskimo song, tho' -- even if it's a bit played-out at this point
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:51:04 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
nice list, Radical.  I admit I don't recognize most of the songs, but I might just look a few up to add to my knowledge base of pop.    Love the line about Lady Gaga and Telephone, just leave the phone off and you don't have to even sing this song! 
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 26, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
That was a fun read, Radical!  I agree with you for the most part - esp Teenage Dream (cringeworthy lyrics, agreed), Black Eyed Peas (Who are those useless people on stage with Fergie?) and Pearl Jam.  I read somewhere that Eddie Vedder thinks that he and Kurt Cobain would be close friends today if he were alive.  What?  Like golfing buddies?  Dream on.

I actually have a soft spot for Kelly Clarkson.  That girl can sing.   :)