Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250465 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Old Music too
« Reply #750 on: January 25, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
My son has to select a poem and analyze it.
I had him look at Robert Hunter lyrics and he picked Uncle John's Band.

He's now analyzing it. Geoff, Urth and others, what's your take on the tune?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Old Music too
« Reply #751 on: January 25, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »

Here's a good place to start:
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/uncle.html

I don't have an encapsulated review of UJB.  It's just such a classic song of humanity's condition.  The lines "Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait" are among many jewels.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Old Music too
« Reply #752 on: January 26, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »

Here's a good place to start:
http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/uncle.html

I don't have an encapsulated review of UJB.  It's just such a classic song of humanity's condition.  The lines "Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait" are among many jewels.
I let him run with it and he had some way off track thoughts and some interesting insights. He kind of got it.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #753 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:11 AM »
How old/new is Weezer's "If You're Wondering If I Want You To" -- and why isn't KFOG playing it? (I just heard it on the Peak, post-10@10)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 27, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
How old/new is Weezer's "If You're Wondering If I Want You To" -- and why isn't KFOG playing it? (I just heard it on the Peak, post-10@10)

It's been hovering near the bottom of the Hot 100 for the past 15-20 weeks.

ETA: It's their best single in years.  Funny that Mark just asked about it in the KFOG thread as well.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 27, 2010, 11:40:59 AM »

ETA: It's their best single in years.  Funny that Mark just asked about it in the KFOG thread as well.

It's been in heavy rotation for a couple of months on Live 105 & Channel 92.3, although I was convinced it was Blink 182 at first.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 28, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
This afternoon I tuned in to WLNG right in the middle of the instrumental break of "Renegade" by Styx. And I swear I thought it was "No You Girls" by Franz Ferdinand! 'LNG doesn't play currents as a rule, so it seemed odd, and when I realized it was Styx I was floored. I emailed Brian Bannon and he totally agreed about the similarity.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:10:34 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 29, 2010, 02:35:35 AM »

It's been in heavy rotation for a couple of months on Live 105 & Channel 92.3, although I was convinced it was Blink 182 at first.

Love it, as does my wife, despite her now being creeped out by Rivers after reading this: http://disgrasian.com/2007/08/e-w-w-w-w/

But anyways, I digress.  KFOG's been playing it in fairly regular rotation maybe 2-3 times a day since 1/14/2010.

They'd been "testing" it (one or two spins a week) since 8/27/2009, mainly on New Music Ghetto Thursdays.

Interesting sidenote -- this seems to be the most they've ever played any Weezer song.  Buddy Holly and Undone - The Sweater Song show up maybe once every couple of months, but that's it.  (At least as far as the last 5 years are concerned.)  Oh yeah, one lone spin of Island In The Sun on 2005-09-30.  Recently heard a live version of that where Rivers leads the audience in a wonderful singalong.  Quite nice.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 29, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »

...Oh yeah, one lone spin of Island In The Sun on 2005-09-30.  Recently heard a live version of that where Rivers leads the audience in a wonderful singalong.  Quite nice.

where can I find that?  I rather like that song.

secondly, anyone else like The Temper Trap's "Sweet Disposition"?  It was on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack in advance of it's album release in late '09.  Now it's getting pretty heavy spin on the alternative stations.  The lead singer does a pretty good Jimmy Somerville impression.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 29, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
anyone else like The Temper Trap's "Sweet Disposition"?  It was on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack in advance of it's album release in late '09.  Now it's getting pretty heavy spin on the alternative stations.  The lead singer does a pretty good Jimmy Somerville impression.

He certainly does. Don't remember it from the movie, but it's quite nice. Would rather hear it on KFOG than "Use Somebody" for the billionth time.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 29, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »

Would rather hear it on KFOG than "Use Somebody" for the billionth time.

Ha Ha.  That is exactly the song I heard right after "Sweet Disposition" while driving home last night.  Definite letting-the-air-out sensation when that happened.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 29, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »

...Oh yeah, one lone spin of Island In The Sun on 2005-09-30.  Recently heard a live version of that where Rivers leads the audience in a wonderful singalong.  Quite nice.

where can I find that?  I rather like that song.

http://rudebadmood.com/mp3

There's other bits of randomness up there too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:04:02 AM by darryl »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 29, 2010, 04:07:11 PM »
I know she has plenty of detractors round these parts, but I'm enjoying Corinne Bailey Rae's new one, The Sea.

Also, absolutely *LURVE* Patty Griffin's latest, Downtown Church.  OMG.

But on a completely different track (after reading about a Beatles cover in this thread), I discovered this young fellow last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeG2m83xGrE

Too bad they didn't get the other musician in the shot.  He's adding a lot to the performance.

His album is available for download for free from his website:  http://gohnakamura.com/

OH, and found this artist in a YouTube video for Tahoe ski resort Homewood:  http://www.myspace.com/juliecollings

(They used her "Simple Things" for some great shots of skiing/riding powder.  Droool.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
At the gym this afternoon, I hear a rap record that sampled "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"  -- no idea who it was, but it seems to me I've never heard a Beatle song sampled by a rapper before... am I wrong?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »
At the gym this afternoon, I hear a rap record that sampled "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"  -- no idea who it was, but it seems to me I've never heard a Beatle song sampled by a rapper before... am I wrong?

Well, most notably there was Dangermouse's The Grey Album, which was essentially a mashup of JayZ's The Black Album with songs from the Beatles' White Album. I can't say I love all of it, but some of it is kinda cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grey_Album
Let's get right to it.