Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 254638 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #735 on: December 29, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
Several people enthusiastically recommended Bon Iver to me, but I hated it.  Slow, spare, sad introspection over an entire album just isn't my idea of a good time.  I've seen Dirty Projectors on a number of year-end lists but haven't heard anything from them.

And if anyone wants a copy, I just received an Excel spreadsheet of every single Hot 100 debut of the '00s.  We can get a BIG idea of just how many songs we missed!  Email me if you want a copy, or help me figure out how to upload here.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 29, 2009, 10:35:30 AM »
Several people enthusiastically recommended Bon Iver to me, but I hated it.  Slow, spare, sad introspection over an entire album just isn't my idea of a good time.  I've seen Dirty Projectors on a number of year-end lists but haven't heard anything from them.

Well, I haven't heard the entire Bon Iver album, so I could be mistaken. But I *do* have the DP album, so if anyone is interested, jut let me know.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 29, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

And if anyone wants a copy, I just received an Excel spreadsheet of every single Hot 100 debut of the '00s.  We can get a BIG idea of just how many songs we missed!  Email me if you want a copy, or help me figure out how to upload here.

hmm, hot chick at work likes Bon Iver.  Now she is less hot... :(
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »

Dude! Hot Chick + "slow, sad introspection" = SCORE!  (Hey, it's been working for John Mayer and Jazn Mrazzzz)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 29, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

Dude! Hot Chick + "slow, sad introspection" = SCORE!  (Hey, it's been working for John Mayer and Jazn Mrazzzz)

Mike's right.  Bon Iver = quick path to Indietits.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 03, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »
A good piece on the surprising chart success of Owl City's "Fireflies" (and the sonic debt it owes to Ben Gibbard).  FWIW, I ended up buying the album and think it's quite good.  May not have lasting value but it's pleasant candy now.

http://idolator.com/5288192/such-great-hoots-owl-city-is-a-rare-boy-pop-chart-topper

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 04, 2010, 02:50:29 AM »

Mike's right.  Bon Iver = quick path to Indietits.

I can't believe I just looked up "Indietits" in the dictionary.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
Courtney Love unveils her hole! Er, wait, let me rephrase that...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=55123

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:58 AM »
Courtney Love unveils her hole! Er, wait, let me rephrase that...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=55123

I was just thinking about her yesterday and wondering if she was ever going to make any more music.  This was occasioned by the DJ on channel 92.3 playing Foo Fighters and then Hole, and he got a caller saying that he shouldn't do that because "doesn't David Grohl, like, totally HATE Courtney Love or something?"  To which the DJ said, "Don't call me about playing Hole after Foo Fighters.  Call me after playing Hole between Foo Fighters and Nirvana!".  And then he played some Nirvana.  Pretty funny I thought.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
This just in! Courtney is not stingy with her Hole! In fact, it's a very generous Hole!
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=55203
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
This just in! Courtney is not stingy with her Hole! In fact, it's a very generous Hole!
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=55203

the comments section on that one is hilarious!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 19, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »
Couldn't find anything to link to, but Bob Shannon mentioned on WLNG earlier that there's a new Paul Revere & the Raiders box set coming in March. Every single and every B-side, or something. Sounds Gaz-tacular!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 20, 2010, 12:30:32 AM »
Couldn't find anything to link to, but Bob Shannon mentioned on WLNG earlier that there's a new Paul Revere & the Raiders box set coming in March. Every single and every B-side, or something. Sounds Gaz-tacular!

Yes and no - their output was of wildly varying quality, with a lot of filler and a lot of bad ideas strewn amid the classic singles; I despise "Judge GTO Breakaway" and "Over You" as much as I adore "Mr. Sun, Mr. Moon" and "Let Me."  But I don't have their work on CD, only cassette; so maybe.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 20, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »
The Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop poll results for 2009:

http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/

Probably a better thread for this, but hey.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:41 AM »
The Village Voice's annual Pazz & Jop poll results for 2009:

http://www.villagevoice.com/pazznjop/

Probably a better thread for this, but hey.

in fact it's called "The List Thread"...

http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=706.0