Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250381 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #720 on: November 10, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
Not new music but a new compilation: Bob Stroud of WDRV's latest "Rock 'n Roll Roots" disc, #11 in the series.

The Tracks

01 Journey to the Center of the Mind (Amboy Dukes)
02 Face the Autumn* (Family)
03 (Lay Down) Candles in the Rain (Melanie)
04 Wildflower (Skylark)
05 Ruby Tuesday (Rotary Connection)
06 Can't You See Me Cry (New Colony Six)
07 Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' (Crazy Elephant)
08 Summertime Blues (Blue Cheer)
09 Little Girl (Syndicate of Sound)
10 Can't You See (That I Really Love You)* (The Flock)
11 Car Hop (The Exports)
12 My Pledge of Love (Joe Jeffrey Group)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 10, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
Not new music but a new compilation: Bob Stroud of WDRV's latest "Rock 'n Roll Roots" disc, #11 in the series.

The Tracks

01 Journey to the Center of the Mind (Amboy Dukes)
02 Face the Autumn* (Family)
03 (Lay Down) Candles in the Rain (Melanie)
04 Wildflower (Skylark)
06 Can't You See Me Cry (New Colony Six)
07 Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' (Crazy Elephant)
08 Summertime Blues (Blue Cheer)
09 Little Girl (Syndicate of Sound)
10 Can't You See (That I Really Love You)* (The Flock)
11 Car Hop (The Exports)
12 My Pledge of Love (Joe Jeffrey Group)

if the asterisked ones are new to you, they're NTM too, as is #11.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #722 on: November 10, 2009, 08:27:17 AM »
lusting for this! [hint!]
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:26 AM »
I'm glad Boyz II Men are still doing their thing.  But I'm not with them on some of the song selections here (though "I Can't Make You Love Me" is one of the very few songs written in the past 30 years that has achieved "standard" status, so it's an understandable pick).  Frankly, "Africa" would have been far more interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/17/boyz.ii.men.album/index.html

1. I Can't Make You Love Me
2. Amazed
3. If You Leave Me Now
4. Misty Blue
5. Time After Time
6. Iris   
7. Cupid
8. In My Life
9. Shining Star
10. Open Arms
11. When I Fall In Love
12. Back For Good
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 18, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »
I'm glad Boyz II Men are still doing their thing.  But I'm not with them on some of the song selections here (though "I Can't Make You Love Me" is one of the very few songs written in the past 30 years that has achieved "standard" status, so it's an understandable pick). 

TANC: the other day at the gym I caught the end of an Oprah show with her Karaoke Challenge winners: each had to pick one of the "Top 5 karaoke songs" without knowing which one they'd have to sing.  Turned out that "I Can't Make You Love Me" was #1 -- ahead of "My Girl" and "Sweet Caroline"! I was floored. 

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 18, 2009, 08:31:54 AM »
I'm glad Boyz II Men are still doing their thing.  But I'm not with them on some of the song selections here (though "I Can't Make You Love Me" is one of the very few songs written in the past 30 years that has achieved "standard" status, so it's an understandable pick).  Frankly, "Africa" would have been far more interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/17/boyz.ii.men.album/index.html

I didn't really know (or care) about B2M when they were big, but I did catch part of their act at the Alameda County Fair a couple years ago, and they were pretty darn good.  I eventually bought one of their comps in San Diego on Record Store Day this past April (http://www.recordstoreday.com/).

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 18, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
I know I'm forever commenting on NTM "lost" songs that WLNG or Offshore Radio unearth... but this is an absolute find IMHO: Verdelle Smith, from 1966 with the haunting "Tar and Cement".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDLdgeP9Bw

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
Little Steven played as his "Coolest Song in the World" this week, Ronnie Spector & Keith Richards duetting on the Ike & Tina chestnut "I Think It's Gonna Work Out Fine".  They do a better job than Linda Ronstadt & James Taylor, that's for sure. Couldn't find it on the YouTubes.  But Steven identified it as being "from her new album, Last of the Rock Stars". And I went to Amazon and found out it's a new US release but it came out in Europe in 2006!  Ronnie also does Johnny Thunders' "You can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory", a fave of mine that would seem to be made for her.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 18, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »
Big Rick ended last nite's "New Music" block with the McCartney tune from the sndtk of that Robert DeNiro flop Everybody's Fine... on one hearing it sounded pretty awful to my ears -- it's a plaintive (read: "drippy") ballad called "I want To Come Home". Guess they're trying to get Macca another Oscar nom.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 18, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
NTM, courtesy of that French station, early-'70s funk by Joe Quarterman & Free Soul. Very much in a Tower of Power-meets-JB-in-Sly's-basement mode. "So Much Trouble in my Mind":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUtNt82XtEE

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 24, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
Crap, just in time to shake me out of my holiday reverie. I just heard that singer-songwriter Vic Chesnutt is in a coma, after taking an OD of muscle relaxants. He's best known in the alt-country genre, not much elsewhere, although I think he did have a bit part in Sling Blade a decade or so back.

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/vic-chesnutt-in-a-coma

Wasn't sure where to put this. Hope it doesn't need to be moved to the In Memoriam board though.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »
Anyone want to cite any best-ofs (singles, albums, videos) of 2009?  I'll post a list here sometime this week, though I declined to submit a Pazz & Jop ballot again this year.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 28, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »
Anyone want to cite any best-ofs (singles, albums, videos) of 2009?  I'll post a list here sometime this week, though I declined to submit a Pazz & Jop ballot again this year.

my fave song of the year remains the Noisettes' "Never Forget You" -- was happy to see it on EW's "10 Best Singles" list; did it actually get any Top 40 airplay?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #733 on: December 28, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »
I can hardly even think of any new music this year I paid attention to. Probably is something.

Dylan's "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'"
Matisyahu's "One Day"
Fools Gold's "Surprise Hotel"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 29, 2009, 01:33:43 AM »
I've really been into Bitte Orca by the Dirty Projectors. And I like Camera Obscura's "French Navy." And was really surprised to find I like Bon Iver and Andrew Bird. I had heard of these people before, but never heard their music until a couple of weeks ago. Good thing I got hip before the year ended.