Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250425 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #705 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
I'm really digging the latest Death Cab "Meet Me on the Equinox", wonder if anyone else is.

y'know it's from the Twilight: New Moon sndtk, right?

And speaking of DCFC, KFOG is playing a new tune by some guy who calls himself... Grey Owl? Ghost Owl? Something "Owl" anyway and it is, to my ears, a laughably blatant DCFC clone. The song is "Fireflies" -- I will *guarantee* it becomes one of KFOG's most sickeningly-overplayed tunes in the next few months.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 09, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
I'm really digging the latest Death Cab "Meet Me on the Equinox", wonder if anyone else is.

And speaking of DCFC, KFOG is playing a new tune by some guy who calls himself... Grey Owl? Ghost Owl? Something "Owl" anyway and it is, to my ears, a laughably blatant DCFC clone. The song is "Fireflies" -- I will *guarantee* it becomes one of KFOG's most sickeningly-overplayed tunes in the next few months.

Owl City.  It shot to #11 on this week's Hot 100.  I'd never heard of him or the song until reading the chart.  I want to like it - the video's treacly nerd-sweet - but the words are just WAY too dippy.  My friend Andy sings like him but thankfully writes much better lyrics.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 09, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »

Owl City.  It shot to #11 on this week's Hot 100.  I'd never heard of him or the song until reading the chart.  I want to like it - the video's treacly nerd-sweet - but the words are just WAY too dippy.  My friend Andy sings like him but thankfully writes much better lyrics.

It is so calculatedly... "let's make a record that sounds like _______ and get airplay", which sadly describes 2/3 of the Triple-A format these days (see: Feist-alikes).

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
Reviews of Harper Simon (Paul's son), Bob Dylan Xmas CD, Hall & Oates box set, more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/emhuffpost-reviewsem-hall_b_317102.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
I frequently hear KFOG tout Vienna Teng in its ads for the new music it plays.  But is her full song actually getting played?  I'd like to see her succeed; I saw her live last year in SF when a musician friend of mine was touring as her drummer.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
I frequently hear KFOG tout Vienna Teng in its ads for the new music it plays.  But is her full song actually getting played?  I'd like to see her succeed; I saw her live last year in SF when a musician friend of mine was touring as her drummer.

I think she's one of those "Acoustic Sunrise favorites" who rarely gets played outside that ghetto. I can remember Rosalie playing her 6 or 7 years ago, but she's never made that leap to regular rotation.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
Album Title of the Week:

and she ain't talkin' 'bout gasoline (nudgenudge winkwink)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
Album Title of the Week:

and she ain't talkin' 'bout gasoline (nudgenudge winkwink)

Not the first album by that name--former NRBQ twangslinger Al Anderson had one about 12 years or so ago:

I think I like Al's graphics better.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 05, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »
I think I like Al's graphics better.

I would, too, if Denise is only going to give me gas.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 06, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
I'm digging the new Death Cab for Cutie song too.  First song I've really liked by them since "No Sunlight."

As for Owl City - it took awhile but I'm finally starting to dig this too.  Like some of you I was put off by the overly cheezy and not-stimulating-in-the-least lyrics.  But after hearing it over and over I've realized it's got such an innocence about it that I never hear in music anymore.

If you know the story behind him it's not really as calculated/manufactured as it appears to be.  It's a kid who had insomnia and was staying up late, making bleepy noises on his computer because he didn't know what else to do.  He put it on myspace...and ended up getting a record deal.  I agree that it does sound like a Postal Service clone -- you have to get your influences from somewhere.  (It's more Postal Service than Death Cab IMO - I know they're the same person but Postal Service's bleeps are more ADD.  Owl City is totally ADD.)

Regardless, I hope it doesn't 'blow up' much further because this is not the type of song that should be played in heavy rotation on any station.

I'm surprised that KFOG hasn't officially added it yet.  The two formats it started off on, oddly enough, are Alternative and Christian AC!  Live 105 has been playing it heavily for awhile.  I also hear it fairly often on Movin' and Star -- seems to be getting lots of requests and buzz on all these stations.

In other new music news...
KFOG needs to finally add the new Snow Patrol song, "Just Say Yes" (not just on Thursdays) and stop playing "Crack the Shutters" 100x.  Although maybe not, because I'm sure in a year they'll still be playing "Just Say Yes" 100x.

The new Imogen Heap song "First Train Home" is pretty good, anyone heard it?  I picked up the CD (the 2-disc version, with the second disc being only instrumentals).  Too bad the rest of the CD is kinda blah...the instrumental disc is better.

The new John Mayer song is terrible.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
KFOG needs to finally add the new Snow Patrol song, "Just Say Yes" (not just on Thursdays) and stop playing "Crack the Shutters" 100x.  Although maybe not, because I'm sure in a year they'll still be playing "Just Say Yes" 100x.

Well, I agree about "Crack the Shutters"  ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 09, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »

As for Owl City ... (It's more Postal Service than Death Cab IMO - I know they're the same person but Postal Service's bleeps are more ADD.  Owl City is totally ADD.)

Good point - I agree.  And I've since found myself enjoying more Owl City clips on YouTube.

Regardless, I hope it doesn't 'blow up' much further because this is not the type of song that should be played in heavy rotation on any station.

"Fireflies" hit #1 last week!  Down to #2 this week.  Its chart success is a fantastic aberration in a generally innocent-pop-free Top 40 landscape.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 09, 2009, 09:05:15 AM »
Here's one to look forward to.  I already love the Xmas track.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/news/2009/barclaycard/pet-shop-boys-cover-coldplay-for-christmas

Pet Shop Boys have announced details of a special Christmas EP, which will include covers of Coldplay and Madness songs.

The imaginatively-titled 'Christmas' EP will feature a version of Chris Martin and pals' 'Viva La Vida', segued into the PSB's own 1988 hit, 'Domino Dancing' and their own take on Madness's 1982 single, 'My Girl'.

The lead track is a new version of Tennant and Lowe's 1997 fan club-only track 'It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas'.

'Christmas' is relesed on December 14.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 09, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

Well, I agree about "Crack the Shutters"  ;)

an lo, I just switched over to KFOG and they were playing it again.

to paraphrase an old George Carlin line, "you can crack your shutters, but you can't shutter your crack"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 09, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
to paraphrase an old George Carlin line, "you can crack your shutters, but you can't shutter your crack"

Carlin's wordplay was underappreciated.  Some of my favorites of his routines.