Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 250435 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: New Music!
« Reply #675 on: May 15, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Towards the end of his New Music Block, Big Rick played Beck's cover of "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat". Not bad; certainly works better than that rap "Forever Young" I mentioned in the songs-in-commercials thread.

That was used over the end credits of some movie I saw this year, can't remember which one.

Which one, LPH or FY?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 15, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »
the former
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 21, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »
KFOG's been playing this neo-soul "Sugarfoot" thing by Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears a lot; damn, it's funky!  Hope it fares better on Triple-A radio than Sharon Jones did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UOJUbiWC5M
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 12, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
Especially to Mark, dunno if anyone else is a fan: I just got a press alert that Los Lobos have signed with the Shout Factory label and are working on a new album.  Among their upcoming summer tour dates is the Marin County Fair in San Rafael.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 12, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »
Especially to Mark, dunno if anyone else is a fan: I just got a press alert that Los Lobos have signed with the Shout Factory label and are working on a new album.  Among their upcoming summer tour dates is the Marin County Fair in San Rafael.

They've played that fair for the past three years now iirc.  Always on July 5th.   

(aside: I LURVE county fairs, gives me a chance to be "going up the country (baby do you wanna go?)".    The Marin fair, which it doesn't feature nearly the amt of livestock as say, Sonoma, does have a good film fest in the Fair.  I'll def go to the Marin fair, maybe even on July to see LL.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:07:55 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2009, 09:57:50 AM »

They've played that fair for the past three years now iirc.  Always on July 5th.   

(aside: I LURVE county fairs, gives me a chance to be "going up the country (baby do you wanna go?).    The Marin fair, which it doesn't feature nearly the amt of livestock as say, Sonoma, does have a good film fest in the Fair.  I'll def go to the Marin fair, maybe even on July to see LL.)

The Marin Fair also usually has a good exhibit of models and other memorabilia from the artists at "Kerner Optical", aka Industrial Light & Magic. (Kerner was the sign they had outside the building to throw obsessive fanboys off the track when ILM was still out in the canal district in San Rafael. Now that they're mostly at the Presidio no such subterfuge is required.)
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »

They're also doing some big Latino music festival in SJ this summer, been meaning to check the deets.  We'll be camping up at Lassen Volcanic Nat'l Park on the 5th, so that's not an option.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »

(aside: I LURVE county fairs, gives me a chance to be "going up the country (baby do you wanna go?)".    The Marin fair, which it doesn't feature nearly the amt of livestock as say, Sonoma, does have a good film fest in the Fair.  I'll def go to the Marin fair, maybe even on July to see LL.)

Glad to hear you appreciate the Sonoma Fair--it's much more the classic county fair than is the one in Marin, and it's not such a huge scale as the Alameda Co. fair--and the drive to Santa Rosa is much preferable to the one out to Pleasanton (sorry, Shray and Wayback). I love the commerce building, full of hawkers offering the latest "as seen on TV" miracle products--step right up, one tenth of a dollah, that sort of thing.

Back to Los Lobos: they always play the annual concert series at the Zoo in Portland, too. This year they're on a double bill with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Might be worth the drive--we saw them at the Aladdin in PDX in January and loved 'em as always.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2009, 07:33:02 PM »
Glad to hear you appreciate the Sonoma Fair--it's much more the classic county fair than is the one in Marin, and it's not such a huge scale as the Alameda Co. fair--and the drive to Santa Rosa is much preferable to the one out to Pleasanton (sorry, Shray and Wayback). I love the commerce building, full of hawkers offering the latest "as seen on TV" miracle products--step right up, one tenth of a dollah, that sort of thing.
Alameda County Fair is here in my town (how conveen-ient), so I go a couple times during its run, this year July 1-19. Their concerts this year include Charlie Daniels, Night Ranger, Gregg Rollie (of early Santana & early Journey), Evolution (Journey tribute), a Skynyrd tribute band, BJ Thomas, and more, the usual county fair stuff.  I just enjoy soaking up the atmosphere.  Here's a link to some county fairs in NorCal, drill down in the links to find their concert lineups: http://www.calfairs.com/   By the way, folks can also ride BART to Dublin/Pton station and take shuttle bus to fair or ride ACE train from Silicon Valley and Central Valley direct to fairground's east entrance.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 13, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
folks can also ride BART to Dublin/Pton station and take shuttle bus to fair or ride ACE train from Silicon Valley and Central Valley direct to fairground's east entrance.

non-musical Mondegreen: for years I heard Renee mention the ACE train on the traffic report and thought she was saying "the A's train" -- and I'd wonder: "how come the A's have a train, but the Giants don't?"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 13, 2009, 03:16:54 PM »
Alameda County Fair is here in my town (how conveen-ient), so I go a couple times during its run, this year July 1-19. Their concerts this year include Charlie Daniels, Night Ranger, Gregg Rollie (of early Santana & early Journey), Evolution (Journey tribute), a Skynyrd tribute band, BJ Thomas, and more, the usual county fair stuff.  I just enjoy soaking up the atmosphere.  Here's a link to some county fairs in NorCal, drill down in the links to find their concert lineups: http://www.calfairs.com/   By the way, folks can also ride BART to Dublin/Pton station and take shuttle bus to fair or ride ACE train from Silicon Valley and Central Valley direct to fairground's east entrance.

Sonoma is prob my favorite local fair and over the years I've seen a wide asst of fun acts (Malo, El Vez, Loverboy), but last year we  visited Alemeda Co Fair for the first time, taking BART and The shuttle, just as Wayback suggests.  I was really into the model train installation (which is there year-round, btw).  We saw Boys II Men perform for about 5 songs, not my cup typically, but they were fun.   Lots of cows, pigs, sheep, goats, bunnies, chickens, arts & crafts, deep fried foods.  very nice.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:09:31 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #686 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »
folks can also ride BART to Dublin/Pton station and take shuttle bus to fair or ride ACE train from Silicon Valley and Central Valley direct to fairground's east entrance.

non-musical Mondegreen: for years I heard Renee mention the ACE train on the traffic report and thought she was saying "the A's train" -- and I'd wonder: "how come the A's have a train, but the Giants don't?"

ˇdittoamundo!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 07, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
In case this is of interest to the Princess - or anyone else: George Benson has a new album coming out.  Just got a press release:

GEORGE BENSON RETURNS WITH 'SONGS AND STORIES' ON AUGUST 25TH

New Collection is NEA Jazz Master's Follow-Up to 2006's Grammy Winning "Giving It Up"
National Endowment of the Arts Jazz Master and 10X Grammy-winning, legendary musician George Benson will release his new album on August 25th entitled Songs and Stories, his second for Concord Records / Monster Music. The album is a collection of tunes penned by some of the most prolific and enduring songwriters of the last half-century. Some were written specifically for this new recording, such as Bill Withers' (who came out of retirement to write "A Telephone Call Away" for George), Rod Temperton's "Family Reunion" and Lamont Dozier's "Living in High Definition"; while others, including James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight", Donny Hathaway's "Someday We'll All Be Free" and Tony Joe White's "Rainy Night in Georgia" were hand-picked by Benson for their ability to convey simple but universal truths about the human experience.

Songs and Stories was produced by Concord's Grammy winning, creative head John Burk and renowned bassist /composer / producer Marcus Miller. Benson, Miller, keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, guitarist Jubu and drummer John Robinson make up the core unit for the project. They were joined by special guests: guitarists Lee Ritenour, Steve Lukather, Wah Wah Watson and Norman Brown, vocalists Lalah Hathaway and Patti Austin, keyboardist David Paich, saxophonists Tom Scott and Gerald Albright along with several others. "Brother, with that team, you can do just about anything," said Benson. "We recorded in the studio for three days straight, and everything we touched had something on it that made us all glad we were there. It was just the right mix of people and material."

And yet, for all of the high-caliber musicians on hand, the most important guests are the songwriters, says co-producer Miller. "Smokey Robinson doesn't perform on this record, but he's still a guest," he says. "Lamont Dozier is a guest. Bill Withers, Rod Temperton and James Taylor are guests. If you take great songs from writers like these, and you put them in the hands of George Benson and a great band, you'd better just get out of the way and let things happen, because the result is going to be something great."

Indeed, the record captures the somewhat underappreciated essential brilliance of his storied career; the ability to simply touch people through authentic lyrics and beautiful melody. On Songs and Stories, George Benson's musical artistry has perhaps never been on sharper display.

To celebrate the release of Songs And Stories, fans can visit the official Benson website, georgebenson.com and receive a free mp3 download of "Living In High Definition", the new song written by legendary composer Lamont Dozier. Additionally on the website, fans can view "The George Benson Sessions: The Making Of Songs And Stories", a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the new record. The series will be updated with a new video each week leading up to and through the August 25 release.

Concord Records is proud to once again partner with Monster Music® on presenting the newest George Benson album Songs and Stories on High Definition Surround™ Sound SuperDisc™. The Monster® version, also available August 25th, is a specially priced two-disc package that consists of Songs and Stories on compact disc mixed in traditional stereo and a bonus DVD, containing Monster's High Definition Stereo and Surround mixes. In addition, the bonus DVD features behind-the-scenes video footage of the making of the record including an in-depth interview with George Benson. With its innovative High Definition Surround technology Monster Music is revolutionizing the listening experience. Mastered in the highest resolution possible, HDS SuperDiscs are specially engineered to capture the true harmonic depth and tonal richness of the music. THX certified HDS SuperDiscs deliver the music through a 5.1 speaker system just the way the artist heard it in the studio when it was recorded, the way they intended you to hear it.

TRACK LISTING:

1.  Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight - (James Taylor)
2.  Family Reunion - (Rod Temperton-Catero Colbert)
3.  Show Me the Love - (David Paich-Steve Lukather)
4.  A Telephone Call Away - (Bill Withers)
5.  Someday We'll All Be Free - (Donny Hathaway-Ed Howard)
6.  Nuthin' But a Party - (Roger Troutman-Larry Troutman-Marlon McClain-Robert Harris-Christopher Lomax)
7.  Come in From the Cold - (Marc Broussard-Radney Foster-Justin Tocket)
8.  Exotica - (Marcus Miller)
9.  Rainy Night in Georgia - (Tony Joe White)
10. One Like You - (William "Smokey" Robinson-David Garfield)
11. Living in High Definition - (Lamont Dozier)
12. Sailing - (Christopher Cross)

For more information please contact:

Jim Walsh - Big Hassle Media - 212-202-0272 walsh@bighassle.com

Joel Amsterdam - Concord Records - 310-385-4206 joel.amsterdam@concordmusicgroup.com

# # #
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
OMG do I *love* this one.  It's Little Steven's "Coolest Song in the World" this week -- love the song and the vid with this amazing woman lead singer.  It's like Duffy and Adele meet '60s girl group/Motown. The Noisettes, "Never Forget You". KFOG needs to jump on this immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnJeQEKIto

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 03, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
Does KFOG play new music anymore?  :-\

Checking their playlist, they have under 30 "current" songs and that includes songs that aren't really current anymore i.e. "Strange Overtones," "Come On Get Higher," "I Will Possess Your Heart," "You Found Me." (And why are they hanging onto that one?  The Fray has had 2 singles since that they haven't touched!)

And some of the songs they have added recently they added after they were no longer new (I think the only truly 'new' song they added recently was "Fugitive" by David Gray).  They added Gomez and the Airborne Toxic Event in what, May?  They played "Sometime Around Midnight" on the new music hour back in September!!!

Awhile back one Thursday morning I heard Kelly Ransford play "Old White Lincoln" by the Gaslight Anthem and gush about how it was perfect on KFOG. (Which it was.) I never heard it again except in the sideshow or new music hours.

Even the new music hour has gotten stale.  They're playing songs they played 6 months ago too.  The station is becoming unlistenable except during their speciality programming...and I used to listen to it almost 24/7.

What gives?  I heard their PD (or is it MD) got the boot a few months ago and they don't have one now...could this be why?