Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/22/11  (Read 2250 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/22/11
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »
I woke up, it was a KPOO morning and the first thing that I heard... JJ saluting the late great Mr Ashford with the Marvin & Tammi Valerie version of the sublime "California Soul".

And here's Valerie with a lovely solo rarity: "Silly (Wasn't I?)"

LAWD! JJ kicks off his '60s hour with the Dells' fab "Sing a Rainbow/Love is Blue" medley.  Whoever thought up/arranged this one was a genius. And it's followed by Jackie Wilson's "The Sweetest Feeling" -- swoonworthy.

Wow, A&S's very first record (as "Valerie & Nick"): "I'll Find You"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:40:43 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/22/11
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
Mr Dixon on The Boardwalk will also be featuring Lieber and Ashford tunes today. So unless AL is somewhere south of 1990 today I'll probably stick with this.

And boy was this a great alternative to 1989. Lawd ha'mercy: Etta James' stellar version of "Blowin' in the Wind"! Take it to church, Miss Etta!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:57:29 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
logged onto that Virgina country station to see if they have anything to say about the 'quake.  Not so far but Linda Ronstadt's cover of "Tracks of My Tears" is a nice treat.

ETA: kinda odd, but even tho' the jock is clearly there "live" (and not voice-tracked), giving time & temp and talking about what a beautiful summer day it is... no mention of the 'quake on his part (CBS network news at the top of the hour had it as the lead, however).  Strange. Galax, VA is not all that far from Richmond. But it was great to hear "Ruby Don't take Your Love to Town". Fer gawd's sake! Turn around!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:39:27 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
2NG's Retro Chart is from Aug 1965 today, if ya need a '60s fix.

http://www.2ngradio.com/

ETA: after nearly a half hour of Brit obscurities, here's Cher's fab version of "All I Really Wanna Do".

OMGWTFLOL (and TANC, sundaygal): The Tremeloes version of "I want Candy". NTM and a tad underwhelming.

But Dusty's in the middle of nowhere and sounding fab.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:34:34 AM by RGMike »