Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/15/11  (Read 3056 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/15/11
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »
a mellow Monday with Judge on KPOO. Bobby W, "If You Think You're Lonely Now".

hey baby, wassyo PHONE numbah? "777-9311"!

"Mornin' little Cheerio/Al Jarreau's an Oreo!"

Wow: a lost '80s club classic, Attitude's "We Got the Juice". I surely haven't heard this since WBLS played it back in the day.

and another Jeffrey Osborne sighting: "Don'cha Get So Mad About It"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:46:37 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 8/15/11
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
2NG just played the Tempts' '71 mid-charter "It's Summer", which sounds like a shameless "Just My Imagination" soundalike until you discover it came first -- it was orig the B-side of "Ball of Confusion"! Was Motown hedging its bets, in case "BoC" proved too controversial for radio?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
Back to WEHM for a while. They just went from Oasis' "Supersonic" to Dylan's "Maggie's Farm". Top *THAT*, KFOG!

...and another new one I don't think KFOG is playing: the latest Matthew Sweet, "She Walks the Night". Lovely.

another nice WEHM feature: they do a daily "Soul Patrol" at 3:20 (12:20 Pacific).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:28:00 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
Offshore Music Radio just played a slow, smoove lite reggae version of Everything I Own by Ken Boothe.  He recorded it in 74. (David Gates wrote it and Bread released it in 72.)  

Interesting trivia-tastic note from wiki:

Boothe released "Everything I Own" on Trojan Records, which reached Number One in the UK Singles charts in 1974. The song, written by David Gates, was given a sympathetic light reggae feel and it received airplay and an appreciative audience in the West Indies and was regularly played on the radio stations of the UK due to its "crossover" appeal. David Gates' own group, Bread, had had a minor UK hit with the song in the Spring of 1972, but it had only reached Number 32.

An unusual fact about Boothe's cover version is that he sings 'Anything I Own', rather than 'Everything I Own' throughout, meaning that the title of the record is never sung. There have been other examples of this at Number One in the UK Singles Chart, such as "Bohemian Rhapsody"; "Unchained Melody"; "Annie's Song"; "The Chicken Song"; and "Space Oddity"; but Boothe's record is the only one on which the title should have been sung, but was not by mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Boothe

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:18:05 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
Offshore Music Radio just played a slow, smoove lite reggae version of Everything I Own by Ken Boothe.  He recorded it in 74. (David Gates wrote it and Bread released it in 72.)  

Yes, used to hear that regularly on CG -- the Boy George version of the song from the late '80s is basically a cover of the Boothe arrangement.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »
The Boardwalk makes my day with Dusty's "Brand New Me" -- the only hit of hers that's (inexplicably) not on the otherwise-inclusive anthol of hers I have.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
somafm's underground 80s channel just played M's Moonlight and Muzak

a pleasant little mind-numbing new wave ditty, and just the antidote to cleanse Moby and Bruce-sounding-like-the-Wallflowers from this morning's KFOG set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MjXevmJkc
~CPL593H~