Author Topic: 11 July 2011: it's... 1986  (Read 12632 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 11 July 2011: it's... 1986
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
I actually like this Van Hagar tune.  HM

Me, too!

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
BOS Billy Idol!  

His show in December at the Fillmore was just great...

So jealous!

Bleah.  I don't share your enthusiasm for it. I saw Billy Idol at the Bridge School maybe 10 years ago. He was great, though it seemed a little awkward for him to be doing his rather sexy act in front of dozens of severely handicapped kids on the stage with him.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
Bleah.  I don't share your enthusiasm for it. I saw Billy Idol at the Bridge School maybe 10 years ago. He was great, though it seemed a little awkward for him to be doing his rather sexy act in front of dozens of severely handicapped kids on the stage with him.

:)

I saw him in Quadrophenia (live) with The Who. Hot.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Which VH?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Which VH?
Why Can't This Be Love?

Heard it at the Luxor on our last trip to Vegas, and it never sounded better.

I don't get the Van Hagar hate. Sure he's not Diamond Dave, but did anybody realistically expect that? Of all the bands that had at least two distinct eras based on change in lead singer, they have to be at or near the top.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
BOS Billy Idol!  

So jealous!

I actually like this Van Hagar tune.  HM
Bleah.  I don't share your enthusiasm for it. I saw Billy Idol at the Bridge School maybe 10 years ago. He was great, though it seemed a little awkward for him to be doing his rather sexy act in front of dozens of severely handicapped kids on the stage with him.

heh, I can see that.  I bet some of the kids onstage loved it and some of them were thinking "get off the stage, you wanker."

Not a bad Van Hagar song, but not as good as Finish What Ya Started!!  :)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
Not sorry I missed this... 3rd '80s set in 7 days. Sheesh.

Following up on an earlier comment, when Nancy Grace came back after giving birth to twins, my first thought was: "wait... someone actually had SEX with Nancy Grace??"
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:53:52 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
Nooo!  Not another subpar set!

And that's the way it stayed, with brief glimmers of hope from the Iggy and Billy Idol tunes. At the risk of being the resident naysayer, after the plethora of 80s sets and mediocre song choices we've heard since last week I think there's something going on that we're not privy to. This is NOT the work of the Annalisa we know and love.
Let's get right to it.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »

And that's the way it stayed, with brief glimmers of hope from the Iggy and Billy Idol tunes. At the risk of being the resident naysayer, after the plethora of 80s sets and mediocre song choices we've heard since last week I think there's something going on that we're not privy to. This is NOT the work of the Annalisa we know and love.
Something's definitely going on behind closed doors.  Time to write her boss a letter!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »

Something's definitely going on behind closed doors.  Time to write her boss a letter!

and sadly, to most of the FB-fogheads... it makes no nevermind. They were all pleased as punch this morning, from the comments I'm reading.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
BOS Billy Idol!  

So jealous!

I'll give Billy the benefit of the doubt that he's sobered up a good bit since then, but at the 2nd Bridge show (the one at the Coliseum rather than Snoreline) Billy was completely piss-drunk. His own set was a kind of a clusterf***, and then during Tom Petty's set he runs onstage, throws a bearhug around Petty and yells something into the mic about how he and Petty have the same manager. Gee, thanks so much--that added immeasurably to the show. So not a great impression for either the crowd or the kids that night.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »

and sadly, to most of the FB-fogheads... it makes no nevermind. They were all pleased as punch this morning, from the comments I'm reading.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us".

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »

"We have met the enemy, and he is us".

dudes, it wasn't a complete washout.  After all, it had Iggy, Bangles, and Billy Idol.

The biggest offenders were the well-worn songs you hear everywhere: Pretenders, Peter Gabriel, Van Hagar, REM.  Each of those songs has fans for very valid reasons, but not exactly new ground.  And keep in mind that DM played his share of Robert Cray, despite the general meh-ness about his stuff around here.  And to me, the Smithereens are another 'meh' group. 

The biggest red flag is the lack of a Facebook request line being opened before today's set.  That says 'toe the line, at-will employee,' more than trotting out songs you listen to in your mom jeans.
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 12:29:11 PM »
let the Wanging of the Chung commence.

I don't have a problem with bands referring to themselves in their own songs (e.g. Steely Dan, Show Biz Kids) but this song takes it to the point of absurdity and in the process earns my WOS for the day.

Let's get right to it.