Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 414234 times)

Gaz at da Voice

The Sports Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Speaking of Orioles: Rafael Palmeiro's been suspended for steroid use.  He denies all charges, but we'll see how this plays out.  If he's going down, he's not going down alone, I'll promise you that much.

(A) that was me; and (B) I just noticed that this was covered in the KFOG 10@10 thread.  I'll get back to work now ...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 11:17:43 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey how about some props for my Cardinals?

Fully acknowledged and congratulated.  Quick Q: Is Scott Seabol going to be called back up?  I went to high school with him (he graduated two years after me) and was pleased when he finally made the big time.

Here's the player profile from the Cardinals' MLB page:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6690
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 11:32:30 AM »
Pujols is of course doing his annual Barry Bonds impression (minus the attitiude)

I loves me some Albert -- I had the first pick in our draft (we pick pitchers and hitters seperately, which isn't normal).  Anyway, I'm about 500 pts in the lead, which is healthy, but it's oh so early.  Huge day Sunday, 4 wins and 160+ points.  The average for a day is about 40.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 12:05:21 PM »
Hey how about some props for my Cardinals?

Fully acknowledged and congratulated.  Quick Q: Is Scott Seabol going to be called back up?  I went to high school with him (he graduated two years after me) and was pleased when he finally made the big time.

Here's the player profile from the Cardinals' MLB page:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6690

Cool, he's back in the bigs!

On the other hand, he now trumps me as most visible alumnus of South Allegheny High School.  :)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:55 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Bruce Jenkins sez: "Trade Barry!"

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/03/SPGIRE22VE1.DTL

Read that on Muni on the way in, and I gotta say, I've been having those thoughts for a month or so. He's not gonna be able to play left effectively for a whole season on that gimpy hinge, so let's get a young slugger or a 20-game-winner for him (or maybe both?). He's living in LA now--see if maybe we can work a deal for Guerrero with the Angels.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 11:05:57 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Read that on Muni on the way in, and I gotta say, I've been having those thoughts for a month or so. He's not gonna be able to play left effectively for a whole season on that gimpy hinge, so let's get a young slugger or a 20-game-winner for him (or maybe both?). He's living in LA now--see if maybe we can work a deal for Guerrero with the Angels.

Agreed. The point about him waiting until after the trade deadline to issue his little pronouncement  is especially galling.  I didn't hear Krukow on KFOG yesterday or see the beginning of the game last nite (I was watching the A's WIN again), so I didn't get to hear what spin Kruk & Kuip were putting on the story, if it was mentioned at all.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 04:38:56 PM »

Vlad is WAY too steep for someone in his 40s who may or may not play again.  With Bonds a complete wild-card, the best SF would hope to get in return would be a prospect like Robb Quinlan or Casey Korchman (sp?).  Or maybe Scot Shields to help shore up the relief squad.  But either way, you guys are right, he's got to go, and Anaheim is the most logical place to send him that isn't a courtroom.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
Congrats to the other Barry -- Zito -- for winning AL Pitcher of the Month for July.

The A's latest retro ad campaign is quite hilarious -- BART ads featuring

Bobby Crosby: "He's Mister Rookie-of-the-Year ... and a hit with the ladies!"

Zito:  "He throws a wicked curve ... and he calls everybody DUDE!"

and the TV spots with Zito imparting Yoda-like wisdom to Haren and Blanton is priceless.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »

Agreed. The point about him waiting until after the trade deadline to issue his little pronouncement  is especially galling.  I didn't hear Krukow on KFOG yesterday or see the beginning of the game last nite (I was watching the A's WIN again), so I didn't get to hear what spin Kruk & Kuip were putting on the story, if it was mentioned at all.

I heard Kruk yesterday morning, and while he did sound a bit unsure about the future (he was caught as flatfooted by this as everyone else--including Sabean and Coletti, it appears), he mostly just kept to the party line, which was that whatever was best for his future was good for the Giants. As you'd expect of a Giants employee, which he and the rest of the broadcast team are. But I'd like to get him off-duty over a couple of beers and see what he really things, off the record.

And yeah, Gaz is probably right about what the Giants can expect in return for Barry--he'll be nearly 42 by the beginnning of next season, and whoever gets him can't reasonably expect more than a season's service out of him--two would be beyond most folk's expectations, reasonable or otherwise.  Although if he's still intent on breaking Aaron's record, who knows?

ETA: And before any trade could take place, Bonds would have to come off the DL (you can't trade a player who's on your DL), and pass a physical of some kind, not to mention deliver assurances to all parties that he intends to play another season.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »
Congrats to the other Barry -- Zito -- for winning AL Pitcher of the Month for July.

and the TV spots with Zito imparting Yoda-like wisdom to Haren and Blanton is priceless.

PLEASE tell me they're going to make this commercial available online.

Zito: "He's Mister Pitcher-of-the-Month ... and a hit with the dudes!"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
steroids
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 06:59:23 PM »
you guys are more knowledgeable than I, but what do you think about the concept that a lot (majority?) of the players caught so far are pitchers?  Who has the advantage in a juiced-batter vs. juiced-pitcher matchup?  In other words, can the 'steroids era' be treated as a systemic error that tends to cancel out?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: steroids
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
you guys are more knowledgeable than I, but what do you think about the concept that a lot (majority?) of the players caught so far are pitchers?  Who has the advantage in a juiced-batter vs. juiced-pitcher matchup?  In other words, can the 'steroids era' be treated as a systemic error that tends to cancel out?

Very good question, and it's worth pointing out that the players normally trotted out as suspects (Bonds, Nomar, Bret Boone, Palmeiro, Giambi) are all hitters -- why no odd looks Roger Clemens's way?

When Alex Sanchez was the first MLB player busted, I cried foul: Bust a guy who's obviously not a home run hitter, I reasoned with my usual paranoia, and all testing will be rendered useless, illegitimized by false positives.  But I was ignoring the fact that steroids aren't only taken to increase bulk, but also to recover more quickly from muscular injuries.

Since there's no way at this point to go back and determine who did what, or to determine in the present day who gets "more of" an advantage, I suspect the PTB will do as you hypothesize and declare that it all evens out in the wash.

The tragedy, of course, lies in an entire generation of Little Leaguers and Pony Leaguers who have been handed this giant object lesson with no discernable moral.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »

PLEASE tell me they're going to make this commercial available online.

Zito: "He's Mister Pitcher-of-the-Month ... and a hit with the dudes!"

one more I noticed tonite...

Rich Harden: "He throws the ball 100 MPH -- and he speaks fluent Canadian!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Sports Thread
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 10:44:56 PM »
Just got back from the Giants' loss to the Rockies at SBC -- it was Gay Nite.  A mellower crowd at the pre-game "mixer" than the previous 2 Gay Nites. Maybe it was the music: instead of the usual godawful earsplitting techno, we got an '80s mix. Grandmaster Flash, U2, J Geils. And Gaz -- the mixer was sponsored by Energy 92.7, and "Greg the Gay Sportscaster" was there. He's WAY gay. Apparently his catchphrase is "If it involves playing with balls -- I'm ALL OVER IT!" Yeesh.

Best segue of the night, tho', went to whoever spins the music in the Giants announcing booth.  They followed the "Star Spangled Banner" (sung by a guy who looked frighteningly like TV evangelist the Rev Robert Schuller) by segging right into Bowie's "Young Americans". I think I was the only one who noticed.

Oh and I also noted that one of the umpires was named Randy Marsh -- Stan's dad, on loan from South Park one assumes. No wonder the Giants wanted to lose!