Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/16/11  (Read 3041 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/16/11
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:38:47 AM »
Lawd! Miss Millie Jackson say it "Hurt So Good"!  ah heard DAT!

Why I heart JJ on KPOO: Kim Weston's "Helpless", one of the greatest shoulda-beens that ever, er, shoulda been.

all-time-fave: "First I Look at the Purse", the Contours with a fab Smokey R lyric. "she could be covered with a rash/long as she gots some cash!"

and Jamo Thomas' "I Spy For the FBI", covered in the '80s by the Untouchables, iirc.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:49:10 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/16/11
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
Last week I mentioned that 1340 The Boardwalk added Imus in the Morning; now the previously-jockless station also has a lunchtime request show with a live DJ (on right now). I presume this means the format is actually making money.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:19:45 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
Lawd! Miss Millie Jackson say it "Hurt So Good"!  ah heard DAT!

Why I heart JJ on KPOO: Kim Weston's "Helpless", one of the greatest shoulda-beens that ever, er, shoulda been.

all-time-fave: "First I Look at the Purse", the Contours with a fab Smokey R lyric. "she could be covered with a rash/long as she gots some cash!"

and Jamo Thomas' "I Spy For the FBI", covered in the '80s by the Untouchables, iirc.

yeah, there was some good stuff this AM on KPOO.  I've learned that the 7-8 hour is purty good.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
Last week I mentioned that 1340 The Boardwalk added Imus in the Morning; now the previously-jockless station also has a lunchtime request show with a live DJ (on right now). I presume this means the format is actually making money.

Hearing them play "Rolling in the Deep" reminded me: I went back to the gym after a 2-week layoff and that damn "92.7 The Rev" was still playing the same 8 songs they were playing 2 weeks ago -- except they added the Adele tune. Knowing they're playing it makes me think KFOG should stop, immediately.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »

This live-DJ show (9am here, lunchtime in SC) is turning out to be quite a treat. Tammi Terrell doing the orig version of Stevie W's "All I Do (Is Think About You)" from the mid-'60s; he'd record it himself much later.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
switched over to Radio de Sebb for the tail end of their dueling-cover-versions show. Heard the Melodians doing "Rivers of Babylon", followed by (of course) Boney M.

and now 2 takes on "Ain't no Sunshine", Still Bill and Oliver Cheatam (of Cheatam, Dewey and Howe?)

and here's Diego Pelaez (who?) doing a salsa-fied "Drive My Car". And baby, I love it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:57:53 AM by RGMike »