Author Topic: LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/18/11  (Read 3182 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/18/11
« on: April 18, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
Judge plays the Fuzz! **WHICH MEANS** maybe he listens to Casey on Sat morning.

another replay from Casey's '71 chart: Stevie works it out.

I was half-expecting "Soul Power", but instead we get another JB joint, "Get Up Get Into It Get Involved"

OMG: The Isleys' cover of "Spill the Wine". And MJ plants a flower and grows a (Mama's) Pearl. Then Judge plays maybe the whitest 45 he's ever spun: "One Bad Apple"!  But wait... I Did Not Know That the guy who wrote "Apple" and "Double Lovin", George Jackson, wrote hits for Clarence Carter ("Too Weak to Fight"), Wilson Pickett ("A Man and a Half"), Bob Seger ("Old Time Rock and Roll") and Z.Z. Hill ("Down Home Blues")  The J-5 apparently turned down "Apple" and went with "ABC" instead, at which point it made its way to the Osmonds.

another fave: 8th Day, "You Gotta Crawl (Before You walk)"
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:41:55 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: LNG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/18/11
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:37 AM »
JJ's Tuesday morning thang brings me the Hues Corp's "Miracle Maker (Sweet Soul Shaker)".  And Lamont Dozier's tryin to hold on to his woman. Can't blame this one on Tricky Dick, Lamont.

"If you come down to the river, betcha gonna find some people who live". Er, well, yeah I guess so, Tina.

This soul take on "Born Free" by the Hesitations is always a treat. Say Hallelujah!

Ree-Ree's shawl is in the Lost & Found again; the Tempts fab forgotten "Fading Away" is an unmistakable Smokey R lyric.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:20:15 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
Song of the Day on KPOO: Lou Rawls Tobacco Road (1963).  wow.

close second: Solomon Burke Everybody Needs Somebodyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OKAlBC-XWQ
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
Song of the Day on KPOO: Lou Rawls Tobacco Road (1963).  wow.

he became a Natural Man on that Dead-End Street.

NTM: early Sly, (circa '65) "Temptation Walk".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
an hour spent with 1340 The Boardwalk climaxes with the Elgins' orig "Heaven Must've Sent You" and "Heartbreak Dead Ahead" -- ah marvel at da Marvelettes.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Another delight from that classic country station: Glen Campbell's "Bonaparte's Retreat".

Take THAT, Crapton: Don Williams doing the orig country version of "Tulsa Time".

OMFG: Jerry Reed, "She Got the Gold Mine, I Got the Shaft" -- one of the greatest country song titles evah.

More "wow"s from this station: The Highwaymen doing a cover of Steve Earle's "The Devil's Right Hand" followed by Jerry Jeff Walker's orig of "Mr Bojangles".  And the Kentucky Headhunters (who I often confused with the Georgia Satellites)!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:33:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
Back to the classic country station and I'm gobsmacked to learn there was a country version of the Seekers "I'll Never Find Another You" by Sonny James!

Followed by Roger Miller, "Chug-a-Lug" -- burns yer tummy, don'cha know?

and a classic of early-'90s "new trad" country songwriting: Lorrie Morgan's "What Part of No Don't you Understand?"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:22:06 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »
I segued from Casey to the Peter Young podcast at Jazz FM, and he's doing a block of fancy Miss Nancy Wilson, including her knockout cover of "Ode to Billie Joe" (with, we're told, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on sax). And that's followed by her NTM version of the Emotions' "Don't Ask My Neighbors" which is equally sublime and apparently from 1989 (!).

And also NTM: Nancy does Marvin's "Come Get to This". Tryin' to blow mah mind -- she's so fine!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:26:54 PM by RGMike »